my profile / private messages | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Bored   » Photo and Review Archive   » 21st Century Toys Archive   » Bell AH-1W Super Cobra - Marine Camo

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell AH-1W Super Cobra - Marine Camo
NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted May 06, 2009 22:37      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
History:
The Bell AH-1 SuperCobra is a twin-engine attack helicopter based on the US Army's AH-1 Cobra. The twin Cobra family includes the AH-1J SeaCobra, the AH-1T Improved SeaCobra, and the AH-1W SuperCobra. The AH-1W is the backbone of the United States Marine Corps's attack helicopter fleet.

In the early 1980s, the U.S. Marine Corps sought a new navalized helicopter, but was denied funding to buy the AH-64 Apache by Congress in 1981. The Marines in turn pursued a more powerful version of the AH-1T. Other changes included modified fire control systems to carry and fire AIM-9 Sidewinder and AGM-114 Hellfire missiles. The new version was funded by Congress and received the AH-1W designation. At least 266 were delivered.

AH-1 Cobras continue to operate with the U.S. Marine Corps. USMC Cobras were also used in operations throughout the 1990s. USMC Cobras have also served in Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan and in Operation Iraqi Freedom in the ongoing conflict in Iraq. While new replacement aircraft were considered as an alternative to major upgrades of the AH-1 fleet, Marine Corps studies showed that an upgrade was the most affordable, most supportable and most effective solution for the Marine Corps light attack helicopter mission. (From Wikipedia)
-

Model Review:
I recently received the Marine Camo version of the AH-1W SuperCobra and let me tell you, wow I am very impressed.

This particular model was made by 21st Century Toys under their Motorworks Wal-Mart brand. It was available for $39.99 in the mid 2000's and can still be found MIB on eBay, though for a high premium.

The model I received was open, but came with everything except the original pilot (21st CIA Operative). The helicopter also comes with a small case that fits under the cockpit and can carry the pilots belongings.

The overall detail on this model is very VERY good, all the rivets are modeled in great detail. There are a decent amount of functioning panels to open and close, and the cockpit canopy is removable so you can place your figures inside relatively easy.

21st Century did a fine job with the paint application, and mine has no noticeable flaws anywhere on it. The Marine Camouflage comes off as cool looking and practical. The weapons and rotors have some pre-done weathering on them which looks nice as well.

The helicopter is LARGE, but on the skinny side, so it will not take up a whole table-top, and with its two rotor blades, you can display it completely in a 'relatively' small space compared to other 1:18 helicopters.

If I had to find a gripe about the AH-1W SuperCobra, it would be that it is a very fragile model. It is NOT a toy, and should not be treated harshly. There are small parts which can break off rather easily. To be fair, my cat knocked the helicopter off the top of the car onto a concrete surface 4 feet down and it survived One rotor snapped, and a few other cosmetic damages, but super-glue fixed it all!

Overall, I would rate this model as a SOLID A. It looks great, has great features, and would be a solid addition to anyone's collection.

Thank you, picture gallery follows.

[AH-1W Gallery]

Pictures Courtesy: Cold Slither

[ May 06, 2009: Message edited by: NSA ]

[ May 07, 2009: Message edited by: Paul Pratt ]

[ May 07, 2009: Message edited by: Paul Pratt ]

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

Posts: 1564 | From: Galactic Empire | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
cold slither

Member # 446

Member Rated:

posted May 06, 2009 22:59      Profile for cold slither   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great review!

--------------------
My Buy/Sell/Trade List
Will trade BBi UH-60 Blackhawk for this:
Huey on ebay

Posts: 220 | From: Atlantic City, NJ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted May 10, 2009 01:02      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cold slither:
Great review!

Great pictures Best of both worlds!

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

Konigstiger

Member # 465

Rate Member

posted May 10, 2009 11:02      Profile for Konigstiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pretty swell.

I lucked up and noticed as i was throwing out an old toaster that it has metal rods i can use to rebuild my Cobura's cannon. Pics if it works, Dragonfly repaint if it don't.

NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted May 10, 2009 11:41      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Konigstiger:
Pretty swell.

I lucked up and noticed as i was throwing out an old toaster that it has metal rods i can use to rebuild my Cobura's cannon. Pics if it works, Dragonfly repaint if it don't.

What happened to the cannon? I thought the other parts were broke..

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

Konigstiger

Member # 465

Rate Member

posted May 10, 2009 12:40      Profile for Konigstiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was broken and warped. Really ugly. one barrel was supposed to be partially detached, but it turns out there were a couple of breaks and the warping.

I'm happy to report, that while not perfect, the canon is now fixed!. Just needs painting.

Now i'm gonna put an antenna on my Panther.

cold slither

Member # 446

Member Rated:

posted May 10, 2009 16:08      Profile for cold slither   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can you tell by my pics that my canon was broken when I got this cobra?

--------------------
My Buy/Sell/Trade List
Huey on ebay

Konigstiger

Member # 465

Rate Member

posted May 10, 2009 16:40      Profile for Konigstiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In a couple i can.

Aviatornut was selling some 1:18 parts a long while back that included the missiles off an F-104. I'm wishing i had picked them up, now. They'd have rocked on the Cobra.

NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted May 10, 2009 19:32      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My cannon was broken on my marine camo as well i superglued it back on and its passable.

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

Konigstiger

Member # 465

Rate Member

posted May 11, 2009 02:00      Profile for Konigstiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's one of those pieces that sits out there, begging to be bumped.

Still, when the gun is nice and straight my opinion on the chopper as a whole rises. Now i just got to get a damn crew for it.

G.I.*EDDIE

Member # 475

Rate Member

posted May 13, 2009 16:03      Profile for G.I.*EDDIE     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
s thing is sooooo pretty...great pics, great review...
Posts: 9 | From: SE Michigan | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
vupa0101

Member # 442

Rate Member

posted May 13, 2009 16:06      Profile for vupa0101   Email vupa0101   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
s'fucked up, my cannon on my marine camo cobra broke during shipping as well. shattered into 4 pieces, 3 barrels and the end piece, any help guys?

AWESOME review btw! dragonfly what?

--------------------
Wanted:

GIJOE best of 80's DVD pack
25th Anniversary Cobra 5 pack (not legions)

Red ninja leader

HUEY SLICK
BBi F-18
21st Bradley IFV
BBi Sherman
21st Sherman

Posts: 115 | From: Twin Cities, MN | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Konigstiger

Member # 465

Rate Member

posted May 13, 2009 16:15      Profile for Konigstiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Damn, that sucks, vupa.
Paul Pratt

Member # 436

Member Rated:

posted May 13, 2009 16:51      Profile for Paul Pratt   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Pratt   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The tail looks like it is dragging on the ground. That kinda blows. Cut out the block from your Kiowas and put them in the cobra.

--------------------
Current Custom: Coming Soon
{Buy/ Sell/ Trade Thread} | {Feedback} | {Flickr}

Posts: 172 | From: Wichita, KS. | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Konigstiger

Member # 465

Rate Member

posted May 13, 2009 17:10      Profile for Konigstiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dunno what the deal with his is, but i don't think mine leans that far.
vupa0101

Member # 442

Rate Member

posted May 13, 2009 17:13      Profile for vupa0101   Email vupa0101   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yea, ill have to double check mines tonight as well

--------------------
Wanted:

GIJOE best of 80's DVD pack
25th Anniversary Cobra 5 pack (not legions)

Red ninja leader

HUEY SLICK
BBi F-18
21st Bradley IFV
BBi Sherman
21st Sherman

Posts: 115 | From: Twin Cities, MN | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
cold slither

Member # 446

Member Rated:

posted May 13, 2009 17:20      Profile for cold slither   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The table surface beneath the white sheet is soft, so it let the Helicopter lean a bit more than usual.

You can actually see the rear of the skids sinking in.

[ May 13, 2009: Message edited by: cold slither ]

--------------------
My Buy/Sell/Trade List
Huey on ebay

Konigstiger

Member # 465

Rate Member

posted May 13, 2009 17:24      Profile for Konigstiger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ah, that it is, that it is.
NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted May 13, 2009 17:24      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cold slither:
The table surface beneath the white sheet is soft, so it let the Helicopter lean a bit more than usual.

You can actually see the rear of the skids sinking in.

Bam! And you doubted his models awesomeness? Shame on the lot of you.

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

All times are Belong to Us!  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | nethijinx, ltd.

(c) 2000 + 19 nethijinx, ltd.