my profile / private messages | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Bored   » The Bored™   » Everything™ and then Some   » I can hear the crickets chirping...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I can hear the crickets chirping...
sickb0y

Member # 42

posted October 08, 2009 21:11      Profile for sickb0y        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...outside.

I think the last time i was here was in 2005. At least, that's when i got my password. My password reminds me of Kismet, wherever she went.

Kris Roe did a show earlier this year in Australia. I didn't seen it because i've been living in the US and Canada for almost 2 years now, but i was told he's fat. Still chasing after young girls though.

Do you mind if i talk in here? It feels like the living room that i'm sitting in. The door to the balcony is ajar, and there's a cool, crisp fall breeze coming in. I often wondered why Americans love fall so much. Now i know. It's all those colours we never see in Australia, and the winters are colder than i've ever imagined. Not that the BC or Washington State get that cold. I did however go sledding in the Cascade mountains. Or perhaps it was the foothills. I went sledding for the first time, at age 28. It was fantastic.

I wonder how many people will ever come back here. I can see Paul still runs the show. Paul - do you hope people come back more often? It's sort of comforting to know where i first cut my teeth on the internet. Seeing Fritz tear those of lower intelligence apart from time to time. Paul being adored by one and all. The dutch guys that some of my australian friends ended up meeting.

If you haven't heard of Frank Turner, i think you should go and check him out. He's on Epitaph, and he has a cracking song called "imperfect Tense". It really is quite the little ditty.

.what.was.the.name.of.that.emo.fellow.who.i.suspected.was.a.troll?

Hopefully i don't get banned for this.

Hi, my name is Phil.

[ October 08, 2009: Message edited by: sickb0y ]

NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 17, 2010 08:59      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PHIL!!!

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

Posts: 1564 | From: Galactic Empire | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 17, 2010 09:02      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes.. I always have hope people will trickle back.. but hell I'm bad enough with checking this place these days that I can't expect anyone else too.

That being said, I'll keep the proverbial 'porch light on' as long as I can just in case..

We had some crazy good times here.. it's been over 10 years since I started the forums for the Ataris.. ah man we're all old now.

Anyway.. I will check back more often.. I hope you visit again

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted February 18, 2010 17:40      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ten. Fucking. Years.

Goddamn.

How's everyone?

Anyone?

--------------------
Have you ever felt like you've been cheated?

Posts: 520 | From: Sweet Home Sacramento! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 21, 2010 15:59      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
10 years! Jesus.

Yeah I cant believe it's been that long. How are you RJ? Everything going swimmingly I do hope!

I've been through hell and back, a bit. Still living in So. Cal.. get out to a concert every now and again but not as much as I'd like.

Still have 2 boys, almost 7 and almost 3.

Someday I'd love to have a reunion with.. anyone! We had such good times back in the days.. it doesn't seem like a decade ago.

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

sickb0y

Member # 42

posted March 13, 2010 10:06      Profile for sickb0y        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow. 2 boys? That makes me feel old. I'm turning 30 next year, and i'm engaged to a girl from Washington (the state, not the city).

Paul - if you're ever up as far north as Eugene, OR, then i'd totally come down and meet you in person. I'm moving back to Australia at the end of April with my fiancee. She's quite awesome. She plays guitar and sings songs to me sometimes.

A reunion would be quite nice. It really doesn't seem like 10 years. I went through some boxes of CDs that i have stored at my parents place last time i flew back to Australia to visit and i found a bunch of CDs that Bill Roe sent me with demo tracks from End Is Forever.

Like most people of our generation, i love the Goonies, and never knew that it was filmed in Astoria. I visited Astoria and flipped my lid when i saw Haystack rock, the houses where part of the film was shot, as well as the high school where Kindergarten Cop was shot. So now i know what Kris Roe is singing about when he sings "so long astoria, i've found a map to buried treasure".

I think i might go there at the end of the month. Have one last frolic before i head home.

PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted March 13, 2010 16:38      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm doing alright...can't complain I suppose.

Went through the whole surgery thing last April and have been slowly getting back to normal. The doctors have run into a slight hiccup in that they found both a tumor and a cyst...they got the tumor out and most of the cyst, but the cyst has been growing again. Not really sure what happens now but my doctors are pretty competent so we'll see what they suggest. I've got a doctor's appointment on Tuesday and would know more then.

Two kids Paul...damn you are a brave one!

Caitlyn's enough for us. She keeps us busy and broke but she's totally worth it, best thing I ever did. She's 8 now and skipped second grade last fall. She's an awesome kid (and not just because she's mine either).

We should totally work out a reunion of some sort...maybe hit up a show when the Ataris tour in support of their next release! Kidding of course...I'd much rather get together under more laid back circumstances. Maybe over an early bird dinner or something (get it, because I'm fucking old now ).

Anyway...hope things are well and that whatever didn't kill you made you stronger.

I'll be back.

--------------------
Have you ever felt like you've been cheated?

Posts: 520 | From: Sweet Home Sacramento! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted April 13, 2010 09:32      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Moving back to AU!

I hope I didn't still have Australia banned from the forums.. haha that was classic back in the day. Man that was a long time ago.

I am turning 30 this year.. in a few months actually (July).. not really looking forward to it. All I have to show for my years is a couple of kids and a string of broken relationships! I should write Ataris songs

I still love me the old Ataris albums.. despite all that transpired. I find myself occasionally rocking out to Blue Skies or even End is Forever. Never could wrap my mind around "So Long Astoria" or that new shit Roe concocted though.

RJ.. how did the appointment go? Hopefully well.. medical shit is crazy.. my appendix went all 2nd Death Star last August and I had to goto the ER and get it taken out.. really big pain in the abdomen if you know what I mean! But it wasn't life threatening so I was lucky. I hope everything is going okay now for you!

Where are you living? Still in Sacramento area?

Phil.. damn! You are moving so soon! I'd totally try for a road trip but I dunno if I could do it in the next week or so.. curses. Guess I have to goto Australia

We need to get David and Kim when they come back to the states.. and they have a kid now too.. sheesh.

I wonder who else is out there...

Im on facebook like everyone else.. look me up:

http://www.facebook.com/MrFancyShorts

Yes.. mr fancy shorts. haha. i'm retarded.

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

kismet

Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted April 16, 2010 09:15      Profile for kismet   Author's Homepage   Email kismet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey,

Weird how I always seem to randomly check the board within a couple days of a random post!

Anyway, we're fine. Liam just turned one and already throws a fit like a teenage girl. You know you're jealous. He is a speed demon, obsessed with pens and remote controls, has only two volume settings (loud and LOUD!) and yet still manages to be pretty fun most of the time (most being the key word there).

David is still dealing with a very long commute on a daily basis, with me still hoping he'll eventually start looking for a closer job. I'm still teaching, although the schools have been mixed up a bit this past year and may change again next year, who knows. I'm a couple months away from having (hopefully) finished my last 100-page masters paper (you have to write one each year of the two-year program) so I suppose that's something. Otherwise, things are mostly the same!

You can find me on facebook too, should you desire: http://www.facebook.com/#!/kimbertho

Peace out, homies.

--------------------
kim
cheesygoodness!

Posts: 222 | From: here, bitches. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted June 09, 2010 09:30      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So yeah...

so random, I went to Vegas last month and saw Mike and Marco (from the Ataris) new band "Cave Mummy". It was really cool/weird, since I haven't seen them in almost 10 years.. felt like old times.

Crazy! I've hung out with everyone a few times since then, its fun catching up on what everyones done in the last decade.

Everyone think's Kris Roe is a tool.. haha we can all agree on that one.

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

sickb0y

Member # 42

posted July 18, 2010 23:06      Profile for sickb0y        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've told my friend to check out Cave Mummy. At least to see if they are any good. Paul - are they any good?

Speaking of Vegas, with me getting married next year in the US (feel free to come up to Portland any and all who feel like it. It'll be nice to meet you all in person), i'll be going to Vegas for a bucks party (much to the delight of my friends making the trip over). Again, if you want to hang out, then there's going to be plenty of interesting folks to meet.

I'm currently in Sydney, and i THINK i can still post from Australia.

I seem to recall a song that Kris had written that asked if someone would still love him when he was washed up like Motley Crue. It seems as though his worst nightmares have come true. Such a shame. He had such spikey blonde hair.

Does anyone know how to print a batch of reports using SQL Reporting Services 2005? I'm running into difficulty finding a resolution.

As MacArthur said before he decimated a whole swag of people - "I Shall Return".

NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted August 19, 2010 10:01      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cave Mummy was pretty good, more scream-y than I'd usually like, but seeing the old guys again made it fun. I saw them 4 or 5 times.

I think they 'broke up' though, as Mike D and Chris Flippin (from Lagwagon) are back in "Versus the World" with Donald..

They are playing September 3rd in Arizona with NO USE FOR A NAME (!!) and September 5th in Vegas with NO USE FOR A NAME (!!) and on September 10th with the Vandals and Assorted Jelly Beans.. haha it's like a freaking flash back in time..

I'm totally down for Vegas when you get to the states!! Let me know on F-booookeroonie.. not sure why I posted this all here.. but again I keep the light on for any lost souls who find their way back here...

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

Ewan

Member # 111

Member Rated:

posted January 04, 2011 14:54      Profile for Ewan   Author's Homepage   Email Ewan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
HI EVERYBODY!

--------------------
Having fun or dying young?
It's hard to tell.

Posts: 316 | From: Bristol, England | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted January 18, 2011 17:50      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
HELLO!

Some things will never die.. and others I will not let die

It'd be nice to have my epitaph on this thing...

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted January 18, 2011 17:59      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
.. and also.. it's coming up on the 10 year mark for THIS incarnation of the Bored.. as I think it was right after 9/11 that I set it up. Not too shabby I suppose..

And I totally forgot to even notice the 10 year mark had passed since I moved out of the Santa Barbara area so many many years ago.

Speaking of the Ataris.. I saw Mike and Marco a few months back a bunch of times.. both seem to be doing well, Mike more than Marco, but that's just cause Marco is Marco. I hear Chris (Drummer) is doing well, in the bay area, and Kris (Singer).. well he's still doing his thing I suppose, haven't seen him in a long while.

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

Ewan

Member # 111

Member Rated:

posted February 19, 2011 16:27      Profile for Ewan   Author's Homepage   Email Ewan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just to put it in perspective:

Five Years ago: 9/06 - Facebook opened to public, wtf is a message bored lol!

Ten years ago: 9/11 - War On Terror Declared, Terror Eradicated

Way Back: 04/99 - Ataris release Blue Skies, Later that year Australia is banned from the good part of the Internet... The Ataris Funding Bill is passed. The system goes off-line August 4th, 1999. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Kris Roe begins to learn at a geometric rate. He becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug. Paul fights back. He launches his missiles against the targets in Santa Barbara. Why attack The Bored? Aren't they our friends now? Because Kris Roe doesn't not know the Australian counter-attack will eliminate his friends everywhere.

AND THAT SOLVES THE MYSTERY OF WHJY THE ATARIS SUCK. AND HE WOULD HAVE GOTTEN AWAY WITH IT TOO IF IT WEREN'T FOR YOU PESKY MEDDLING KIDS!

--------------------
It's hard to tell.

NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted March 12, 2011 21:52      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OMG that was brilliant.. and so spot on as well

We never should have learned him to do things on his own! We rue the day! (or Roe the day?!)

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

Ewan

Member # 111

Member Rated:

posted March 17, 2011 15:34      Profile for Ewan   Author's Homepage   Email Ewan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If this old-fangled UBB had a 'Like' button, I'd have clicked it thrice Gosh-darn-it! Once to like your post, twice to double-like it but then discover that to do so would in fact unlike it, and thrice to ultimately re-like it!

I can give it a thumbs-up Message Icon though!

EAT IT ZUCKERBERG!

e.

--------------------
It's hard to tell.

kismet

Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted April 01, 2011 22:46      Profile for kismet   Author's Homepage   Email kismet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ewan, like wine that doesn't come out of a box, gets better with age.

--------------------
kim
cheesygoodness!

Posts: 222 | From: here, bitches. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ewan

Member # 111

Member Rated:

posted April 16, 2011 16:42      Profile for Ewan   Author's Homepage   Email Ewan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ewan, likes wine that doesn't come out of a box. Or does.

Also, do we Tweet? twitter.com/hootenholler

--------------------
It's hard to tell.

NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted August 09, 2011 18:36      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Through think and THIN (prefer thin, btw) I deliver!

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

All times are Belong to Us!  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | nethijinx, ltd.

(c) 2000 + 19 nethijinx, ltd.