my profile / private messages | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Bored   » The Bored™   » Everything™ and then Some   » Fall Update

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fall Update
Christy K.

Member # 207

Rate Member

posted September 15, 2007 14:05      Profile for Christy K.   Email Christy K.   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Summer's winding down, and I'm curious to see what everyone is up to! And what everyone is listening to!

As for myself, I picked up and moved across the country to Philly. It's definitely a change, but I like it. I've been receiving the entire spectrum from very friendly to very offensive, but luckily, everyone that I've been meeting in my graduate program is extremely nice. I haven't eaten cheese steak yet, and I don't plan to. And Mexican food here is terrible.

I'm lost on what's new and hip, but I've been listening to The Good Life, The Little Ones, and Beastie Boys.

xoxo

--------------------
Arf arf

Posts: 66 | From: LA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted September 16, 2007 00:32      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My turn I guess...

Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your point of view) my life is pretty much the same...still working at the same place (for almost nine years now)...still enjoying my job (taking on more responsibilities and moving toward more actual design work as opposed to just strictly doing drawings for plan sets)...and still happy with my life.

Aimée has also been expanding her responsibilites at work...she' been having a tougher time getting recognition for her efforts, however, which has been frustrating...she does enjoy her job but she sometimes feels as if her supervisors merely pay lip service to the amount and quality of work she does...in other words, she'd like to get paid better. Its a tough situation since she's got tenure with the company and she enjoys the work but they could be doing better by her, monetarily. Unfortunately, I don't make enough on my own to support us and in life we've grown accustomed to (with the whole living in a house and eating food thing) so she's not really in a position to throw out ultimatums...if the powers that be called her bluff, we might end up living out of boxes...so she's trying to find a roundabout way of getting her point across without resulting to empty threats.

Caitlyn is five and will be six in January.

Allow me to repeat...Caitlyn is five and will be six in January.

She started Kindergarten earlier this month and totally loves it. We opted to keep her in private school for now...our reasons being that the school that was just completed in our neighborhood is brand new and has no track record by which to judge their merits (whereas the school that she's attending is well respected and comes highly recommeded by many co-workers who have their children there) and the fact that sending her to public school would cost merely $150 less a month than keeping her at private school (public school would be free of course but before and after school care in our district is quite expensive)...the school she attends now allows us to drop her off before "official" school hours to a supervised environment where she's hanging our with children her own age and also provides supervised activities after "official" school hours for no "extra" charnge other than the base tuition fee.

Anyway...Caitlyn is doing really well. She's amazing. She's reading now (she began reading earlier this year...maybe around March) and one of her favirite books at the moment is Fox In Socks. She often acknowleges that one of her Daddy's computer friends bought if for her ...Shes in an accelerated kindergarten program at school too. It astounds me at just how much stuff kids can retain...her teachers literally just throw a bunch of knowledge her way and see what sticks! And most of it does stick!

She plays soccer too...micro soccer (three on three with a reduced size feild). So far she's averaging a couple of goals a game. Sometimes she loses focus and we catch her dancing around on the feild...but she's working on that.

Man, I'm sure it's almost sickening how I go on and on about my kid, but she's literally the best thing I've ever done. It's difficult not to gush. Sorry.

The one thing we neglected to do this year was take a "real" vacation...we did however decide that next June we're Hawaii bound so there's that to look forward to. Should be sweet. It'll be the first time for all of us. We may end up doing a small vacation during Caitlyn's winter break (when they'll take a break in curriculum but still open the school for child care purposes...another bonus that public school doesn't provide).

So yeah...anyway...life keeps moving forward and luckily it's been a pretty smooth ride.

--------------------
Have you ever felt like you've been cheated?

Posts: 520 | From: Sweet Home Sacramento! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jody

Member # 7

Member Rated:

posted September 20, 2007 07:08      Profile for Jody   Email Jody   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey Dudes!
Yeah...my update is pretty boring. Not too much new, really. Olivia is 3.5 and started a 3 yr. old preschool program, which is just 5 hours a week. She is liking it and I am loving having a few hours all for myself. 5 hours doesn't seem like that much, but when you have not have that for the longest time, it's awesome. I've mostly been exercising because there is a gym in the same building as the preschool. My latest obsession is sewing. I've always been a hobby seamstress, just making pillows and curtains and stuff, but I've been sewing clothes for Olivia and totebags and junk that I'd like to eventually try to sell, if i ever have enough time to sew more than an hour a day.
As far as music goes...going to see The Hold Steady on Nov. 1. Good friends of mine from Mpls, who moved to NYC and have "made it". Other than that, I'm obsessed with the new Spoon. It's funny because I used to be a "hardcore" girl and now all i listen to is "college/alt" kinda junk. I guess moving into the hipster realm is just part of aging. ha!

Posts: 149 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
kismet

Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted September 23, 2007 08:08      Profile for kismet   Author's Homepage   Email kismet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As for me/us:

Teaching again at the same business school this year. Last week was "intensive English" week; this week normal classes begin. Also will be doing some work in another, very competitive school (think ivy league, but specialized in political science), which just opened a campus in Le Havre specialized in Asian studies, although it's unsure how many hours I'll be doing there (looks like two or four per week, most likely two if things don't change in the next couple days) -- that starts up Oct. 1st.

University classes also start up tomorrow. Assuming there aren't any surprises, this year will be the last before I receive my BA. Which is cool.

Not sure what next year will bring. We are playing with the idea of relocating, but haven't really concretely looked much further into it as of yet. It's all hypothetical, and we don't even have any real destinations in mind. But it's the moment to do it if we're going to.

David is still working really far away, and is getting REALLY fed up with it. But other than that he's doing the same stuff.

In terms of music, uh, I'm pretty out of touch. I was back in AZ recently (my grandmother passed away, and it was summer so I went home for a month to help out with all the stuff that goes along with that), and came back with a few CDs: the new Matt Nathanson, Regina Spektor, Smoosh, William Fitzsimmons. I think I am mellowing out in my "old" age, or something.

That's it. Now I'm off to do some very exciting reading (Huck Finn, which I believe I read something like 15 years ago but yet have to read again this year for uni, I guess because they figure the dialect is a good challenge for foreign English-speakers and what not).

--------------------
kim
cheesygoodness!

Posts: 222 | From: here, bitches. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ewan

Member # 111

Member Rated:

posted October 05, 2007 12:56      Profile for Ewan   Author's Homepage   Email Ewan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm sitting in my room drinking beer, smoking and listening to Elliott Smith. So while it may appear to John Doe on the street that I am just a lazy doss who does fuck all, in fact I have proven that time is cyclical.

Actually I got promoted at work. But I still have the same bad haircut, car and personal hygiene. Form an orderly queue ladies.

-)

e.

--------------------
Having fun or dying young?
It's hard to tell.

Posts: 316 | From: Bristol, England | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
kismet

Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted October 06, 2007 09:36      Profile for kismet   Author's Homepage   Email kismet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hmmph, where is the Norm update? And what about Mr. owner of the bored itself?

I am totally in a mountain of papers to correct (after having spent literally HOURS today I am now halfway through, thank god), and have a bunch of lessons to plan (because that second job mentioned above did turn out to be 4 hours a week), and have to finish writing a test, not to mention catching up on all my schoolwork, yet somehow I still find a moment to write pointless posts like this one which may very well go unnoticed for days. I think that is talent. Or something.

--------------------
kim
cheesygoodness!

***norm

Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted October 09, 2007 22:23      Profile for ***norm   Email ***norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm coming, I'm coming folks... I am the an man, officially 35 as of Sunday...

Life is crazy for me right now. I am starting a business, along with working full time, along with being a father to a THREE YEAR OLD. I think I mentioned previous that I got a new job in April. Less work, more time with the family, and a slight bump in pay. Not a better job, mind you, just better perks.

I still live in the ghetto house, but I want to move soon. (soon being next year or so.) Lisa wants to get out of Michigan, but she isn't sure where she wants to go, other than Center City Philadelphia. Homes there are out of our league, and well, I don't want to live there. So we shall see.

Calvin is rocking. He is going to be Elton John for Halloween because we have raised him on a steady diet of old muppet show reruns. He also loves to rock out with his daddy. His favorite rock out songs...
Firecracker & Deville –Strung Out
I'm Not Okay– My Chemical Romance
Any MFAGG but really Sloop John B
assorted Face To Face songs (but he hates Disconnected)
and pretty much any Lazy Town.

I have tried breaking him in on some other stuff, but if he hates it, he gets pissy and we have to listen to Sesame Street or The Wiggles.

As for life stuff, like RJ, Lisa and I didn't get a vacationn this year, but that is nothing new. I haven't had a vacation, for the sake of vacation in 10 years. We may get one in January though, have to see how my work schedule goes.

Other than that, there really isn't all that much new.

--------------------
•Taking money from religious people is like beating retards at checkers.
• Alcoholics Anonymous is to Jesus Freaks what still water is to mosquitos
•* I understand war for some reasons. Land, money, a girl, that can be understood. Now war over god, that's a whole different issue. There is no way I can justify a war over who has a better invisible friend.

Posts: 238 | From: Norm's Ghetto House | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
LayingTiredOnSunbeamsSide

Member # 134

Member Rated:

posted October 24, 2007 09:24      Profile for LayingTiredOnSunbeamsSide   Email LayingTiredOnSunbeamsSide   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Holy crap this place still exists!

--------------------
so tired of messing everything up
so tired of leaving friends behind
so tired of landing on the sidewalk
-the lemon brigade

Posts: 65 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
***norm

Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted October 30, 2007 13:07      Profile for ***norm   Email ***norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just love comments like that...

--------------------
•Taking money from religious people is like beating retards at checkers.
• Alcoholics Anonymous is to Jesus Freaks what still water is to mosquitos
•* I understand war for some reasons. Land, money, a girl, that can be understood. Now war over god, that's a whole different issue. There is no way I can justify a war over who has a better invisible friend.

Posts: 238 | From: Norm's Ghetto House | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
kismet

Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted November 02, 2007 08:55      Profile for kismet   Author's Homepage   Email kismet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I especially love them when I have no idea who they are from!

--------------------
kim
cheesygoodness!

LayingTiredOnSunbeamsSide

Member # 134

Member Rated:

posted November 02, 2007 09:21      Profile for LayingTiredOnSunbeamsSide   Email LayingTiredOnSunbeamsSide   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You don't remember me?!... I'd tell you who I was... but I dont remember either!

I don't even know what the hell this username means.

--------------------
so tired of messing everything up
so tired of leaving friends behind
so tired of landing on the sidewalk
-the lemon brigade

Posts: 65 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Daniel

Member # 54

Member Rated:

posted November 14, 2007 13:04      Profile for Daniel   Email Daniel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
After this semester, I'll be 2 semesters from graduating from college. Hard to believe I was in middle school when I first came here. Time is flying and I have tons of papers/projects/exams in the next few weeks, so that's a bummer. I need a break, although one project allows me to work with an attractive girl who drives a Corvette, so that's a plus.

I'm also going to be an uncle for the first time tomorrow.

I've been listening to The National a lot, and the new Streetlight Manifesto album is sweet as hell too.

(oh god, this is almost a Winter update, even though it's like 74 degrees Fahrenheit outside today)

--------------------
"Hats off to the nun with the man hands."

i was/am WashinMyGoat.

Posts: 386 | From: Evansville, In, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
kismet

Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted November 15, 2007 00:00      Profile for kismet   Author's Homepage   Email kismet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I could go for some warm weather right now.

The university is blocked again (this time the students are protesting the privatization of French universities), which means no one can get into the building except for the students that are doing the blocking. Which means that on Tuesday I spent about 45 minutes hanging outside at 7am in chilling temperatures.

I have to go back there today and vote for the unblocking of the school, although I have no idea if we have a chance of having the majority or not. Arg.

--------------------
kim
cheesygoodness!

All times are Belong to Us!  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | nethijinx, ltd.

(c) 2000 + 19 nethijinx, ltd.