my profile / private messages | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Bored   » The Bored™   » Everything™ and then Some   » Mid Year Update!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mid Year Update!
PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted July 08, 2006 20:03      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So yeah...went out and bought the family a house.

Well, technically we're still in escrow waiting to qualify for the particular loan we're going for, it's a first time home buyers loan so there are quite a few stipulations, one being an income cap that we have to be under...with all the overtime I've been putting in we should just squeak in under the cap provided I not work any more overtime for the rest of the year. Luckily the boss is keen to work out some sort of comp time arrangement for any extra hours I put in and I only have to curb the overtime until after we qualify...then it's nose back to the grindstone.

So there you have it...by late November we should be moving in. They've poured the slab and are set to commence framing in the next week or so. It's kind of a fast track build but that will actaully work in our favor...the timing will be just right in terms of how it will impact our taxes for next year.

Needless to say we're very excited about it. We've been wanting to take this plunge for so long that it's almost weird that it's finally happening. We'd never felt like we'd found the right place or that the timing was this right before, but this time everything just seemed to fall into place.

Anyway, here are some scans of the floorplan and elevation:

First Floor

Second Floor

Exterior Elevation

Keep your fingers crossed for us...we're confident that things will work out one way or another but we'd still appreciate all the good luck that we can get.

So what's everyone else been up to?

[ July 08, 2006: Message edited by: PunkMunkey ]

--------------------
Have you ever felt like you've been cheated?

Posts: 520 | From: Sweet Home Sacramento! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Christy K.

Member # 207

Rate Member

posted July 09, 2006 20:56      Profile for Christy K.   Email Christy K.   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dude, 4 bedrooms?! That's nutty and awesome all at the same time. I hope everything works out! And what are you going to do with four bedrooms? Big family?!

Things on my end have been okay. I'm back to where I was 5 years ago: becoming obsessed about getting into school. I'm hoping to get into a Master's (maybe a Ph.D.?) program for Urban and City Regional Planning. I have about eight schools on my list (UCLA, UC Irvine, UPenn, NYU, Columbia, University of Illionois at Chicago, Pratt Institute, Portland State University). I've been studying for the GRE like mad. Hopefully I can get a really stellar score to be in contention for a fellowship for school funding. Same old boring nerdy stuff.

And I've been listening to the new Cursive nonstop. It is top notch. Definitely weird, but wonderful to listen to.

--------------------
Arf arf

Posts: 66 | From: LA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jody

Member # 7

Member Rated:

posted July 10, 2006 06:39      Profile for Jody   Email Jody   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dang...when you said NEW house, you meant it! I'm so jealous...my best friend just bought one of these monster new houses...it's my dream to someday get myself a WIC and a masterbath and a 4th bedroom, and a great room...
Anyway, in the middle of a busy summer here...doing a lot of camping, fishing, hiking, grilling, etc...

Posts: 149 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted July 10, 2006 09:18      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The house really isn't as big or extravigant as it may seem ...and as far as the four bedrooms go, they're *small* bedrooms...one, of course, is for Aimée and I, one for Caitlyn, one as a shared office/workspace and the final one will be a multipurpose room with space for Caitlyn's desk/art table, our treadmill and some other odds and ends...the house itself is about 1600 square feet, which fills up pretty quick once you've amassed the amount of stuff that we have...we're still undecided on thwhole "expanding the family" scenario, but haven't completely ruled anything out...

Christy - Ph.D. ?!?!...impressive! Urban and City Regional Planning...my company actually has a fledgeling Community Planning and Urban Design division that is part of our larger Environmental and Resource Management division...most of their contracts have been based out of the East Coast thus far, but I do know that we've acquired a couple of smaller firms, one based out of Ventura, CA and another based out of Portland, OR that specialize in town planning and urban design services. The two new acquisitions will be working under the HDR|Town Planning umbrella and will have a main office located in San Francisco I believe. Anyway...good for you! and good luck on the GRE, I'm sure you'll do well.

Jody - Busy summers are the best!...make full use of your leisure time, that's my motto . It's been in the 90's to 100's here so outdoor activity is best kept to swimming or running around in the sprinklers, we've been doing a lot fo that lately...How's Olivia? must be getting pretty big by now I suppose...It's amazing how fast they grow...Caitlyn will be in her Pre-K class starting in August...PRE-K!. Ugh. time goes by way too fast.

Anyone else out there?

--------------------

Jody

Member # 7

Member Rated:

posted July 10, 2006 10:26      Profile for Jody   Email Jody   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Olivia is awesome, thanks for asking!
You can see some pics of her on my myspace page
http://www.myspace.com/28263095

p.s...i forgot to wish you "good luck"!!!

oh, and Kristy, I went to PSU for a semester a long, long time ago...it's a pretty school and maybe things have changed or maybe they specialize in your area or something, but the school was not too hot, in my opinion. But, it looks pretty low on your list anyway...just my 2 cents...

Jody

PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted July 11, 2006 21:21      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jody:
p.s...i forgot to wish you "good luck"!!!

Thanks!...we're a bit nervous, naturally, but still very excited and optimistic.

And here's an actual pic of the house as it stands right now...

Olivia is such a pretty little girl!...and where did she get the blonde from?...it's almost platinum! So cute!

Here's a fairly recent pic of Caitlyn Anne...taken sometime in May at a wedding we attended...

She's definitely not the same little baby that I posted pictures of not so long ago...

[ July 11, 2006: Message edited by: PunkMunkey ]

--------------------

Jody

Member # 7

Member Rated:

posted July 12, 2006 10:32      Profile for Jody   Email Jody   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm...I'd like to see those pictures. What happened to them? So, RJ...you looked at the myspace page...where is my friend request, eh?
And, yeah, I don't have a clue where the blonde hair came from...everyone asks if she is really mine and sometimes I wonder if they didn't screw up at the hospital...

Christy K.

Member # 207

Rate Member

posted July 12, 2006 20:17      Profile for Christy K.   Email Christy K.   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jody, Olivia is such a pretty name. She's very cute. Same with Caitlyn. Everyone's kids are so cute! Ahh. And Caitlyn's so big!

Yeah, it's crazy that I'm thinking about doing a Ph.D. But I might obtain my Master's first and think about Ph.D. later in life. Who knows. Jody, thanks for the heads up with Portland State. It's kind of at the bottom of my list, but I'm thinking about specializing in transportation planning (if not community development) and I hear Portland has an awesome public transportation system.

I'm surprised Ewan hasn't posted anything yet. Maybe he lost hope in this board after his attempts to revitalize the board by posting a lot.

--------------------
Arf arf

Ewan

Member # 111

Member Rated:

posted July 13, 2006 02:23      Profile for Ewan   Author's Homepage   Email Ewan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've been lurking. I'm gonna hold out for one more day in the hope that I get married, have a kid or do anything of interest. "I had Subway for lunch. Again." doesn't seem to cut it to be quite honest.
As an aside, there were three people viewing this forum yesterday. Three! That's got to be the record so far this year.

--------------------
Having fun or dying young?
It's hard to tell.

Posts: 316 | From: Bristol, England | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jody

Member # 7

Member Rated:

posted July 13, 2006 08:43      Profile for Jody   Email Jody   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ARe you kidding, Ewan? We old kids are trying to live vicariously through you. Tell us about going to the show and getting wasted and then sleeping in all the next day because you don't have a job (even though I know you do). Really elaborate on the sleep part...
Jody

Member # 7

Member Rated:

posted July 13, 2006 08:49      Profile for Jody   Email Jody   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ah ha...i can see the pictures now. i was just not patient enough the first time.
Caitlyn is going to need to be locked away from the teenaged boys pretty soon. OMG! Gorgeous skin and hair and a killer smile. You are in so much trouble, RJ!!!
Scott said he had a dream one night where a little dirtball kid with a mustache came to the door to take out Olivia...said it was his worst nightmare. So scary!

Mike

Member # 14

Member Rated:

posted July 13, 2006 13:51      Profile for Mike   Email Mike   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i feel like such a child whenever i read posts from you guys.

anyway, i'm currently applying for internships for the fall. i made my schedule with mondays and fridays free so i'm hoping that i can get something. i'm applying to random PR and Marketing firms, tv station and other assorted "communication" related businesses in boston in hopes that someone will take me.

other than that i've been sitting around doing nothing for the last week or so. i just finished a 5 week temp position doing loan application work at bank of america and i start another (less fun) job on monday.

then it's back to school for my final year and then freaking out once i realize i'm going to graduate with a degree in uselessness.

Ewan

Member # 111

Member Rated:

posted July 13, 2006 15:50      Profile for Ewan   Author's Homepage   Email Ewan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay folks, here goes...

I was going to leave my highly respected and highly paid (NB Americans: sarcasm) job in Gasoline Retail, but in October I may be going from about 12.5k a year to about 16k or possibly/hopefully more which would be nice to say the least. Should I stay or should I go? If I stay my pay is doubled; If I go it could be troubled. I am a wizard. I am also drunk because I just got back from the pub, and I don't have work till 14:30 tomorrow so I'm going to go meet my brother at his work and get shitfaced. Two nights ago I came back drunk and hatched this exact same plan and ended up falling asleep in some contorted shape which left "pins & needles" in my thumb which still remain. I hope one day to lose a limb to this drunken reckless slumbering. Just because it would look cool. Like a Pirate.

Today is my Mum's birthday, and tomorrow my Dad's. They can, and will, consider themselves lucky to get cards.

I have spent time camping recently, and I have a lot of DVDs I have bought but not yet watched, including, Hidden, Dear Wendy, Mean Creek, and Deathwatch. Most of which I expect to be shite. I just received a text message. I am very much looking forward to my birthday in August when, as I previously posted, I will see Quasi live and drink too much. I also chanced upon the support act for said gig on MySpace today, and, simply put, I have farted out more melodic and skillfully crafted tunes than they can muster up between the three of them - I guess the music industry is cruel and I've just gotta turn up late.

Today I did not get married/have kid(s)/improve my life or better myself in any way. But I did enjoy gambling and Budweiser, and is that not what man dreamed of since he first made beer and slot machines?

Yes.

I am a fool.

e.w.a.n. w.y.a.t.t. h.a.l.e.

--------------------
It's hard to tell.

PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted July 14, 2006 08:48      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MOTHERFUCK. Sometimes I wish I could be livin' la vida Ewan once again...however, I don't think my frail constitution could handle it anymore. Don't you young'uns let us old folks on here delude you...there's plenty of time for growing up...no reason to rush it...

Speaking of not growing up...I'm getting an early birthday present...

Masterpice Optimus Prime (Convoy)

Talk about trying to recapture your youth...He's awesome though (as I bet any one of the guys on this board can attest to...Paul? ). Caitlyn convinced Aimée to buy it for me as an early birthday gift because she has, what I believe is, a secret crush on Optimus...she frequently tries to convice me to let her watch the DVDs of the 80's Transformers animated series and is constantly on the hunt for Transformers toys when we go to Target...she's such an enigma...one minute she's playing princess and the next she wants to learn Kung Fu...but I wouldn't have it any other way...

--------------------

Ewan

Member # 111

Member Rated:

posted July 15, 2006 15:19      Profile for Ewan   Author's Homepage   Email Ewan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Optimus Prime is one badboy motherfucker for sure. And RJ, all your photos make me laugh simply because they say the word DUMP in the corner, which is incredibly immature of me, but then what do you expect of a 25 24 year old who still lives in his parent's attic? Igzactly. Your house looks totally sweet though - but don't go thinking you're all that just because you've got a walk-in-closet. I've got a crawl-in-cupboard on one side of my room. And a board with a water tank behind it. So there.

# Edited because I don't know my own age. #

[ July 15, 2006: Message edited by: Ewan ]

--------------------
It's hard to tell.

Ewan

Member # 111

Member Rated:

posted July 17, 2006 17:56      Profile for Ewan   Author's Homepage   Email Ewan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Conversational Bleach! What are the Frenchies up to? Sure, I could read their blogs, but they should put in the effort.

--------------------
It's hard to tell.

Christy K.

Member # 207

Rate Member

posted July 18, 2006 22:10      Profile for Christy K.   Email Christy K.   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think their blogs stopped working. I know Kim had a picture of an outdoor sculpture of a rectum on her Flickr. That was pretty amazing. Anyone else have a Flickr?

Speaking of childhood cartoons, Animaniacs is finally coming out of DVD! I'm so excited. So excited that I preordered it like a nerd.

--------------------
Arf arf

PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted July 19, 2006 21:32      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christy K.:
Speaking of childhood cartoons, Animaniacs is finally coming out of DVD! I'm so excited. So excited that I preordered it like a nerd.

I'm currently resisting the temptation to buy these (although I'll probably implement a rent/burn scenario provided I can rent this set from somewhere)...I'm also tempted to pick up a few other "things" that I know I should not...like this:

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes

MUST RESIST!...CANNOT GIVE IN!...SO WEAK!...but I've gotta watch the spending since we're still wanting to do a bunch of stuff to the house upon move-in (painting, getting better shelving, miscellanous house stuff)...

I rolled by the house site yesterday and they've already started framing the place and tacking up gypsum board walls!...Aimée is giddy with anticipation...I guess I am too, I just hide it better...I'll have to resize some pics and post them in a day or two...we've been visiting the site about every couple of days to check on progress (it's right on the way home to our existing place) and so far it seems like the builders are ahead of schedule ...

Anyway...what the hell happened to everyone else tht used to hang here?...We haven't heard from the French contingent (Kim?!?...Dave?!? Hello?!?)...the Geek contingent (Paul?!?)...or the Rock City contingent (Norm?!?)...surely the fate of the bored hasn't been left in the typing fingers of a mere five posters! ACK!

[ July 19, 2006: Message edited by: PunkMunkey ]

--------------------

Ewan

Member # 111

Member Rated:

posted July 20, 2006 10:14      Profile for Ewan   Author's Homepage   Email Ewan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was his birthday teh other day, so I think Paul might have been curled up in an alley drunk the last few days. I could be wrong of course. Don't forget to make lots of zimmer frame/pension/pipe & slipper/buspass jokes upon his return.

('Teh' left for dramatic effect)

--------------------
It's hard to tell.

NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted July 20, 2006 23:11      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yeah i blacked out for part of the night... ehhh.. the pictures do partial justice, but i need to get the photos from the other camera. they show me praising the allmighty hasslehoff in all his glory... good (drUNKen) times. We made a fucking slip n slide on ASPHALT. i still have bruises and cuts. not a pretty sight. wow i dont have paragraphs, im like asspipedriller but without caps. awesome. like. like like awesome. speaking of awesome i saw Angels and Airwaves and Taking back sunday last night and they ROCKED, well not so much taking back sunday cause i never heard them before, but angels and airwaves were simply brilliant. i highly recommend

them.

im different

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

Posts: 1564 | From: Galactic Empire | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted July 20, 2006 23:12      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
oh and i need to read the other posts in this thread! will comment on everything soon! sorry. been a nutty week.. seeing Unwritten law at the house of blues tomorrow.. ahhhhhhh. 26 is old.

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

Posts: 1564 | From: Galactic Empire | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
kismet

Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted July 22, 2006 14:48      Profile for kismet   Author's Homepage   Email kismet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello, I am alive.

Yes, you could read the blog, which would be easier for me, lazy as I am (it still exists, here), but I will make the effort as I was mentioned by name and now feel all important.

Results for school came out on Monday, and I can happily announce that my first year is finished and I am number 2 in my dept. Go me.

I am also a full-time employee since two weeks ago, at my work. I am now "Service Manager", which means I teach a lot and also manage the other teachers (well, teacher), and the receptionist types. I am not in love with my job, but I have no valid reason to hate it either, so I am going through the motions. Assuming nothing goes down that disgusts me with my job in the five weeks left on my trial period, my second year of university will be done via correspondance (and Saturday classes in Caen, about an hour away, every second or third Saturday). I am hoping it will go alright, as I hope to eventually move into teaching in a more academic environment, and for that, ye olde diploma is definitely required.

David is fine. He is currently in the other room playing Maple Story, his latest internet game addiction. He still has a pretty shitty commute, but still enjoys his job, which I suppose is the most important part. We haven't bought any CDs or seen any concerts other than those of our friend's band in quite awhile. I guess we are old (although not THAT old, since there are no kids or houses to be spoke of for the moment, but you get my drift).

--------------------
kim
cheesygoodness!

Posts: 222 | From: here, bitches. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
***norm

Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted July 24, 2006 17:42      Profile for ***norm   Email ***norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I read, I want to post, but I am so lame, I have nothing to say. My most major of all purchases recently is concrete. $1,800.00 worth of it to be truthful. The city forced me to repair a sidewalk that looked just fine to me. Other than that, Calvin is doing great, Lisa is too. I hate my employer and that is about it. I will post again, I promise, and I won;t even be bitter.

RJ, congrats on the house, that is really awesome. Everyone else, great to hear things are going well....

--------------------
•Taking money from religious people is like beating retards at checkers.
• Alcoholics Anonymous is to Jesus Freaks what still water is to mosquitos
•* I understand war for some reasons. Land, money, a girl, that can be understood. Now war over god, that's a whole different issue. There is no way I can justify a war over who has a better invisible friend.

Posts: 238 | From: Norm's Ghetto House | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ewan

Member # 111

Member Rated:

posted July 24, 2006 20:05      Profile for Ewan   Author's Homepage   Email Ewan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Haha! What the hell did you do that resulted in nearly 2 grand's worth of concrete damage?

--------------------
It's hard to tell.

PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted July 30, 2006 15:44      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the sentiment Norm! Good to hear taht the family is doing well...you've gotta post some more pics if you've got the time!...Bummer to hear about your forced concrete repair...unfortunately with all the cool stuff that comes with owning you rown place there's also all the responsibility and expense...that's one thing that I'n not necessarily loking forward to.

Since we're on the topic of homes...new house pics!:

From the enrty looking upstairs.

The media niche with a closet to the left.

The view from the kitchen into the family/great room.

The progress so far.

The build seems to be moving at a pretty good pace and on Friday the 28th we chose our carpet/tile/window coverings. Still crossing our fingers that everything goes as planned...

As far as everything else is concerned, it's pretty mcuh still business as usual...maintaining the status quo I suppose. Sometimes I feel like all this grown up stuff is such a hassle...like it's gotten in the way of all of the fun yet meaningless stuff I used to do...like driving 6 hours to see a show or drinking and watching the the sun come up,then drinking some more or taking a day trip to a city a couple hours away just to spend all my money on used CDs, ...but I look around me and see all that I have, a wife, a child, stability, little luxuries like food and a house and I realize that to have all of this I've only had to sacrifice very little...life's not the same as when I was 24 or 25, there are more responsiblities, more stresses...but there are also more meaningful rewards.

Sorry...that was a total Doogie Howser moment.

[ July 30, 2006: Message edited by: PunkMunkey ]

--------------------

Ewan

Member # 111

Member Rated:

posted September 09, 2006 11:37      Profile for Ewan   Author's Homepage   Email Ewan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Then what happened to everyone?

--------------------
It's hard to tell.

Christy K.

Member # 207

Rate Member

posted September 13, 2006 21:44      Profile for Christy K.   Email Christy K.   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's been so long that RJ's house is probably finished with construction, he and the family are all moved in, and the house has been christened with a new plasma tv screen.

Maybe.

I'm still alive. Nothing much has changed. I took a brief vacation to San Francisco and San Diego. Now I'm back to work and eating everything made out of sugar in sight. Chomp.

--------------------
Arf arf

Ewan

Member # 111

Member Rated:

posted September 14, 2006 07:41      Profile for Ewan   Author's Homepage   Email Ewan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I turned 25 and scored a new TV and an iPod... How did I live without one for so long!? In less Birthday related news, but nonetheless celebratory, I also scored a promotion at work and from October the 18th will be lauded and worshipped as a Trading Manager. My first Salaried position! Maybe now I can finally think about getting a new car and moving out.

--------------------
It's hard to tell.

Mike

Member # 14

Member Rated:

posted September 15, 2006 22:36      Profile for Mike   Email Mike   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i got the hiccups.
PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted September 28, 2006 08:37      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Damn I've been lax with the updates...I'll have to post more pics over the weekend (hopefully, but suffice it to say that the house is progressing quite well and our excitement is building.

Lately everything's been so hectic...work is frickin' insanely busy (I'm running drafting lead for 3 projects as well as handling electrical drafting/design duties for a couple others)...the weekends a jam-packed (what with planning our move, my parents retirement/move and trying to fit in miscellaneous birthdays and events)...it's getting difficult to even find a moment ot do the everyday stuff like posting on message boards and surfing the internet!

ACK!

--------------------

All times are Belong to Us!  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | nethijinx, ltd.

(c) 2000 + 19 nethijinx, ltd.