my profile / private messages | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Bored   » The Bored™   » Everything™ and then Some   » Music Of 2004

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Music Of 2004
Ewan

Member # 111

Member Rated:

posted December 21, 2004 04:07      Profile for Ewan   Author's Homepage   Email Ewan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey guys.

OK, you know the drill... your favourite albums of 2004. C'mon, it'll be fun.

THE EARLIES - These Were... - This album is beautiful genius. Kind of like a half English/half American Mercury Rev or The Polyphonic Spree with beats, only better. Caught them live as well and it was an absolutely brilliant show.

ELLIOTT SMITH - From A Basement On The Hill - What's to be said? Not the album as it was intended to be, but it's a brilliant album nonetheless. Rocking, soothing and heart breaking all at once.

THE SHINS - Chutes Too Narrow - Sure you all know it, but it's just great tunes with great lyrics. And really, what more can you ask for?

Honourable mentions -
The Thrills, Micah P. Hinson And The Gospel Of Progress, Of Montreal, The Polyphonic Spree

Dishonourable mention -
Ben Kweller's second effort, which was frankly, rather shit.

--------------------
Having fun or dying young?
It's hard to tell.

Posts: 316 | From: Bristol, England | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ewan

Member # 111

Member Rated:

posted December 21, 2004 21:28      Profile for Ewan   Author's Homepage   Email Ewan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What, do I smell or something?

--------------------
Having fun or dying young?
It's hard to tell.

Posts: 316 | From: Bristol, England | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
***norm

Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted December 22, 2004 08:58      Profile for ***norm   Email ***norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This has been a weird year for music and me. I think I have finally gotten to the point that "new" music has lost a bit of its luster and the old stand by artists are more important. Comfort music or something. That said, The Killers are delightfully catchy and My Chemical Romance is wonderful.

--------------------
•Taking money from religious people is like beating retards at checkers.
• Alcoholics Anonymous is to Jesus Freaks what still water is to mosquitos
•* I understand war for some reasons. Land, money, a girl, that can be understood. Now war over god, that's a whole different issue. There is no way I can justify a war over who has a better invisible friend.

Posts: 238 | From: Norm's Ghetto House | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Klink

Member # 78

posted December 22, 2004 10:43      Profile for Colonel Klink   Author's Homepage   Email Colonel Klink   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know why I find My chemical romance "OK but weird", sounds a bit like Taking back sunday but it's not that great to me.

On a side note, I've read somewhere that every kid and their mother like MCR in highschools.

Which is not a good sign.
Popularity killed Blink 182

Oh and ewan smells.

--------------------
Industrial Revolution has flipped a bitch on Evolution.

Posts: 665 | From: Stalag 13 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted December 22, 2004 20:34      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My favorites of 2004 include:

The Empire Strikes First - Bad Religion
American Idiot - Green Day
Tiger Army III: Ghost Tigers Rise - Tiger Army
The Cure - The Cure
Shake The Sheets - Ted Leo & Pharmacists
Futures - Jimmy Eat World
The New What Next - Hot Water Music
Pressure Chief - Cake

...but like Norm, I've been kind of falling bak on "old standards"...I've been spinning a lot of The Clash lately (especially the Legacy Edition of London Calling) along with some Ramones, some Husker Du, Replacements and the like.

--------------------
Have you ever felt like you've been cheated?

Posts: 520 | From: Sweet Home Sacramento! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Klink

Member # 78

posted December 24, 2004 08:33      Profile for Colonel Klink   Author's Homepage   Email Colonel Klink   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PunkMunkey:

The Empire Strikes First - Bad Religion

Wasn't that good to me.
quote:

American Idiot - Green Day

This one was mindblowing, although, as they pointed out on some radios they kinda ripped off some famous songs ("boulevard of broken dreams" sounds like Oasis' wonderwall, "extraordinary girl"'s intro sounds like tenacious D's wonderboy). Still, very good album. I really like "holidays"?
quote:

The Cure - The Cure

As a former huge Cure fan (look my hair, look my hair), I found this one was a cool attempt to get back to "roots" but Robert's getting old and the flame's not there anymore.
quote:

Futures - Jimmy Eat World

When I first listened to it in May or so, I found it rather nice. Then I was in the US in october/november and the single was played every freaking hour or so. It just took my "brain" away.

[ December 24, 2004: Message edited by: Colonel Klink ]

--------------------
Industrial Revolution has flipped a bitch on Evolution.

Posts: 665 | From: Stalag 13 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Daniel

Member # 54

Member Rated:

posted December 24, 2004 21:38      Profile for Daniel   Email Daniel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
65daysofstatic - "The Fall of Math"
Handsome Boy Modeling School - "White People"
Q and not U - "Power"
Death From Above 1979 - "You're a Woman, I'm a Machine"
Cake - "Pressure Chief"
Drive By Truckers - "The Dirty South"
The Arcade Fire - "Funeral"

Those are my favorites from this year.

--------------------
"Hats off to the nun with the man hands."

i was/am WashinMyGoat.

Posts: 386 | From: Evansville, In, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jody

Member # 7

Member Rated:

posted December 30, 2004 07:56      Profile for Jody   Email Jody   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Shins album was my favorite, easily.
But, I have to say that RJ and I have very similar taste in music. I haven't had much time to check out those new albums he mentioned, but a lot of those bands have been past favorites...

Posts: 149 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mike

Member # 14

Member Rated:

posted December 30, 2004 09:33      Profile for Mike   Email Mike   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i enjoyed:

midtown, green day, jimmy eat world, the killers, a perfect circle, the black mages (not entirely sure if this was released in '04 though).

Sir Paul

Member # 211

Rate Member

posted January 12, 2005 13:18      Profile for Sir Paul   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Paul   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think I bought a total of four albums last year in total.

Green Day - American Idiot: was AMAZING, man I listened to that CD straight for like 2 months. All the intricacies (sp) were just mindblowing. I really think it is one of the best albums I have heard in a really long time. Just good good music all the way through, the longer songs especially, with all their different movements etc.

Team America: World Police - Soundtrack: was.. interesting to say the least. Those "southpark guys" are masters of parody and sarcasm. Between the "America, Fuck yeah!" and "I'm so ronery" to the wicked love song based on how much the movie Pearl Harbor sucked.. it was pretty enjoyable I thought.

Eminem - Encore: was really really good I thought. I really dont like (or know anything about) rap in general. I enjoyed some Dr. Dre and Snoop Dog in middle-school and early high-school, but once I found "punk rock" music I never really went back to Rap. This album by Eminem was really something else though, half of it was really serious-type stuff that sounded great, while the other half was goofy-ass-shit that also sounded great. I dont think it will steer me off towards listening to more rap, but I enjoyed this one.

Finally.. my favorite album of 2004..

Halo 2 - Soundtrack: Yeah Yeah, I am a dork I know. My love of the game probably biases me in some way, but hot damn I really enjoy this cd. Its mostly instrumental "background" and "theme" music, which forms the meat of the album. There is also a few "real" songs by Incubus (not good), a song by Hoobustank (not bad) and one by Breaking Benjamin (I think?) which is really good. I am a big fan of movie music, and this game soundtrack ranks right up there with the best movie music I've heard. It roxorz

--------------------
This is a signature! w00t.

Posts: 41 | From: Malibu, CA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
matve
unregistered

posted February 01, 2005 12:08           Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why surely it's got to be

Tad '8-Way Santa'

and

Rotten Banana 'Tales from the Cyanide Jar'

Ewan, you have even less taste now than you did when I last saw you. Elliott Smith? His inane ramblings could never compete with the songwriting finesse of Tad Doyle and Christopher Reeve. The others? I don't know them, but really, you should know better. And while I'm at it, what about the infamous Monkey Dam tapes of 1997? Bah!

[ February 01, 2005: Message edited by: matve ]

IP: Logged

All times are Belong to Us!  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | nethijinx, ltd.

(c) 2000 + 19 nethijinx, ltd.