my profile / private messages | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Bored   » The Bored™   » Everything™ and then Some   » Being a Grown Up...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Being a Grown Up...
***norm

Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted May 04, 2004 06:53      Profile for ***norm   Email ***norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't like being a grown up. It is no fun. I didn't have to be a real grown up until last night, and I have been sick to my stomach ever since.

You see, I have done grown up things for a while now. I have a "career" job, I own a house, I proposed marriage, I am even waiting for the birth of my first child. They are pretty grown up things, one would think. Nope, not at all. Those are all very easy things to do. Trust me.

Last night, I had to make the decision as to whether I would spend a chunk of money I don't really have to try a very risky treatment for my little dog, or decide to do the more humane thing and put my little dog down. See, my dog got heartworm. She probably got it before we adopted her (as she has been on the preventative sice we got her) but it laid dormant until sometime last year. Now it is pretty well spread through her organs, and she is dying. If we go through the treatment to kill the heartworms, which is dangerous for hyper little dogs, and it works, then there is still a tremendous risk for the dead worms to break loose and cause a heart attack or stroke.
In addition to all of the risks, as I mentioned earlier it is also expensive. Weighing all of those things, taking into consideration all of the needs of the new baby as well as the dog, the only option I have is to put my little dog to sleep. I honestly have never, in my life, felt worse about a situation than this one. I hate being a grown up.

--------------------
•Taking money from religious people is like beating retards at checkers.
• Alcoholics Anonymous is to Jesus Freaks what still water is to mosquitos
•* I understand war for some reasons. Land, money, a girl, that can be understood. Now war over god, that's a whole different issue. There is no way I can justify a war over who has a better invisible friend.

Posts: 238 | From: Norm's Ghetto House | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted May 04, 2004 08:05      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There's never a worse situation than losing a member of one's family...my heart goes out to you Norm...and, though it may be of little consolation to hear/read, I think that you did the right thing, the best thing in the interest of your friend's well being...better to pass on peacefully and humanely than to suffer and die in pain...I am truly sorry for your loss...

Being grown up sucks sometimes.

--------------------
Have you ever felt like you've been cheated?

Posts: 520 | From: Sweet Home Sacramento! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Klink

Member # 78

posted May 04, 2004 13:58      Profile for Colonel Klink   Author's Homepage   Email Colonel Klink   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with the munkey and trying to weigh both sides, I reallize that it's not a grown-up attitude to either put the dog asleep (giving up) or let her live (refusing to face difficulties). Actually, deciding of some living being's fate, die or live, is such a difficult choice that we can'st stand it and often put it in the hands of Fate/God or whachamaycallit .

It's such a hard choice that even you Norm had to convince yourself with all the logical reasons you could find. And I'm pretty sure that, even if you think you made the right choice, there's this lil doubt that bugs you in the back of your head. That doubt prolly makes you a grown-up. But someone had to take this responsability. That makes you a grown up. I'll always remember when my dad had my dog put to sleep. He was sad and troubled inside. But he still had to look serious and calm and reasonable in front of us all. That day, he looked like a grown-up and I admired that.

My new dog is old now, almost 15 y.o and every day I see her looking more and more like a cripple, sleeping so much she doesn't hear me when I arrive. In some months, hopefully years, my family and I will have to face that troubled time again and everyday I prepare myself for that, thinking to myself she had almost the best life a dog could have (a better life than dubya at least) and that will help me when the times comes and the logic won't be at hand.

I don't know if I could have done what you've done, I'm too much of a wuss. Maybe it's the fact that a dog is so devoted to you and puts so much trust in you.

Really sorry, Norm.

--------------------
Industrial Revolution has flipped a bitch on Evolution.

Posts: 665 | From: Stalag 13 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ken

Member # 204

Rate Member

posted May 05, 2004 23:50      Profile for Ken   Email Ken   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ouch, that's terrible. I'd be devistated if I had to put my dog of 4 years to sleep. But if I faced a similar decision I would come to the same result, because I am a poor college student with bills to pay. After the mourning period, I hope you can go to the pound and bring home another friend to share life with.

--------------------
The Wu Tang Clan ain't nothin to fuck with!

Posts: 41 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
***norm

Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted May 06, 2004 13:55      Profile for ***norm   Email ***norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, today was the day. I almost threw up when I had to hand her over to the vet. But, I really know that what I did was right. We found out after more research that after the initial treatment, the dog had to stay lazy for 12 weeks. She was a Jack Russel Terrier. IMPOSSIBLE. So, although it was incredibly difficult, it was what had to be done.

As for another dog, well, it will be a year or so before we think about it. There is no way I could handle the training process of a new dog and a newborn son at the same time. Not a chance.

Thanks for the kind words fellas, they really do mean a lot.

--------------------
•* I understand war for some reasons. Land, money, a girl, that can be understood. Now war over god, that's a whole different issue. There is no way I can justify a war over who has a better invisible friend.

Mike

Member # 14

Member Rated:

posted May 06, 2004 14:00      Profile for Mike   Email Mike   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
norm i'm sorry to hear about your dog, i know how hard it can be to lose a pet. our cat was put to sleep because we basically had the choice of that or just finding him dead one day. my entire family was in tears dring the drive to the vet and my mom had to go in with the cat, she said it was like having one her children put down. we didn't get another animal for about 3 years.
Jody

Member # 7

Member Rated:

posted May 07, 2004 09:39      Profile for Jody   Email Jody   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow...I'm sorry Norm. It's actually pretty crazy timing because we just found out that our dog (who is a little over a year old) has hip displacia...I'm not sure if that is even how you spell it. The day we came home from the hospital with Olivia, the dog started limping around funny. The vet though it was just a sprained knee at first. After tons of ex-rays and tests (and money) they are still not 100% sure, but it was the best diagnosis they could give us. He will have to be on pain meds and will most likely have to be put to sleep eventually because the condition will just keep getting worse. We are both so depressed about it. He is such an awesome dog. I'm not sure if I can handle getting another pet either because it is too hard to deal with losing them...
Posts: 149 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
***norm

Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted May 07, 2004 10:04      Profile for ***norm   Email ***norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jody, it is so tremendously hard, but even a day later, it is a bit easier. The reason why it is easier, is that Lisa and I have decided that whenever we are sad about it, we talk about the funny stuff our dog did, or the crazy stuff, or the horrible stuff. They all bring a smile to our faces and make us realize how wonderful an experience it was to even have her for the time that we did. It was worth it, 100%, and I look forward to it again. I just know how hard it can be on an animal when they are in a new environment, and how much atention they need. That is why we are waiting for another dog.

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I hope that they are wrong and that your dog will bounce back. I really do.

--------------------

Jody

Member # 7

Member Rated:

posted May 19, 2004 12:16      Profile for Jody   Email Jody   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We found out yesterday that Oscar actually has Lyme Disease. We didn't think it was possible because we had him vaccinated last spring, but apparently, it didn't work. Even stranger, he must have gotten it last fall but didn't present symptoms until March because it is still too early for ticks in Minnesota this season. Well, the good news is that he will have to take some antibiotics and they will likely help the problem. He will have to do that anytime we see him exhibit signs of pain because Lyme's is not 100% curable, but is easier to manage then the hip problem. I'm just glad we got it figured out so he can start running around again. Man...there are so many crazy diseases out there to worry about these days. I remember having a dog as a kid and we seriously didn't take her to the vet once and she lived for 16 years without a single problem.
Posts: 149 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Belong to Us!  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | nethijinx, ltd.

(c) 2000 + 19 nethijinx, ltd.