my profile / private messages | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Bored   » The Bored™   » Everything™ and then Some   » To make a long story short...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: To make a long story short...
PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted December 10, 2003 07:10      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My house was burglarized yesterday.

My brother (who lives with us) came home from a job interview to find two fucking delinquents rummaging through all of the stuff in the master bedroom (mine and Aimée's room)...

He ran them off, but not before getting a really good look at them (which he detailed in his description to the police) and their car (which he only got a cursory glance at, but managed to get the first three digits of their license plate)...

The thieves managed to get some jewelry (some of which is irreplaceable, family heirloom type stuff), $60 of my nephew's birthday money (he's nine years old and invincible...he'll be pissed when he find out) and a Starbuck's gift card, but luckily my brother came home before they made off with anything substantial...

Our room was a shambles though...clothes everywhere...they had all of our Christmas gifts that we had bought in bags in the living room ready to haul off it would seem...surprisingly enough, stuff like our digital camera, our DVDs, our CDs and other "big ticket" items were untouched...we had a portable CD player sitting in open view, easy enough to just slip in one's pocket and it remained undisturbed...

In any case, this is the story of how we almost became a statistic...I'm just happy/relieved that they weren't armed and didn't try to take on my brother when he confronted them...he was lamenting the fact that he didn't really give chase but at least he got a good description of the thieves and he wasn't hurt...

We've gone from feeling victimized to feeling very angry though...actually, the white hot rage of a thousand suns is really what I'm feeling...anger just isn't strong enough a word really...

I just hope they catch the fuckers...better yet, I hope I see the fuckers rollin' through my neighborhood again...there'll be hell to pay.

--------------------
Have you ever felt like you've been cheated?

Posts: 520 | From: Sweet Home Sacramento! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jody

Member # 7

Member Rated:

posted December 10, 2003 09:23      Profile for Jody   Email Jody   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is really awful. It's sick that burglary increases as the holidays approach. I guess you can be thankful that your brother is okay and that your wife and daughter were not home when it happened. I have been a little more on edge since we moved into the new house because I see a million ways to break into it. The biggest thing is that now we have a glass patio door at ground level. Eck. But, if anyone sees our crazy huge dog upon entering, they will likely have second thoughts about coming in. I hope, anyway.
Posts: 149 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Klink

Member # 78

posted December 10, 2003 11:44      Profile for Colonel Klink   Author's Homepage   Email Colonel Klink   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
sorry about that. I know how it is. And worse than the actual loss is that icky feeling you get when your privacy has been violated without any respect and stuff.

How did they break in ? smashed a window ? picked the lock ?

--------------------
Industrial Revolution has flipped a bitch on Evolution.

Posts: 665 | From: Stalag 13 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Christy

Member # 4

Member Rated:

posted December 10, 2003 13:16      Profile for Christy   Author's Homepage   Email Christy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
RJ, I'm just glad no one was hurt, and not much was taken. It's a very weird feeling to be robbed from. Almost leave you feeling naked and vulnerable. Eh.

My dad's very paranoid of people breaking into our house. But I guess that's because our house was robbed when I was like 12 years old. But he takes some strong metal rods (or even some 1/2" PVC pipes from Home Depot) and he cuts them to the size of the windows.. and places them in that little track area where your window is supposed to slide into when you open it. It makes more sense when you see it. But yea. That's one cheap way to protect your house.

--Christy

--------------------
panda panda panda!

Posts: 276 | From: La Jolla | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jody

Member # 7

Member Rated:

posted December 10, 2003 14:06      Profile for Jody   Email Jody   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Christy, I know what you mean about the windows. I did that to all of the windows in my old house (I am very paranoid). The windows in the new house are strange and do not have the standard tracks so there is no place to put the rods. Scott tells me not to bother anyway because, "if someone wants to break in, they can always find a way". That makes me feel much better!
***norm

Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted December 10, 2003 18:56      Profile for ***norm   Email ***norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Damn, caught in the act. That is scary and awful...

Well, at least they didn't hurt anyone (Which is actually pretty rare, burglary is anonymous on purpose). But damn none the less.

I never worried about having my house broken into or anything until Lisa moved in. I alwaysleft the side door unlocked, ALWAYS, and just didn't care. Mostly because I have insurance and because I really didn't have enough stuff to make a burglary worth it. But, once Lisa moved in, I got new doors, deadbolts and windows that have locks and stuff. Makes me feel better about her being home alone occasionally, but I share Scott's feelings of "If they want to get in, they are going to get in."

David really hit the mark with the "icky" feeling. That seems to be the worst part of it. The idea that the place you call home, where all of your stuff is was violated by somebody you don't know is horrible.

Kind of unrelated, but in a demented Ataris Bored kind of way related, RJ, how is the house hunt going?

And Jody, how do you like the new digs? Much nicer? I figure it has to be a bit larger than the old place...

[ December 10, 2003: Message edited by: ***norm ]

--------------------
•Taking money from religious people is like beating retards at checkers.
• Alcoholics Anonymous is to Jesus Freaks what still water is to mosquitos
•* I understand war for some reasons. Land, money, a girl, that can be understood. Now war over god, that's a whole different issue. There is no way I can justify a war over who has a better invisible friend.

Posts: 238 | From: Norm's Ghetto House | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jody

Member # 7

Member Rated:

posted December 11, 2003 07:25      Profile for Jody   Email Jody   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
And Jody, how do you like the new digs? Much nicer? I figure it has to be a bit larger than the old place...

Oh my god! It is awesome. We went from 800 sq. feet to 1450. Not that 1450 is big, but it's like a palace in comparison. We have forced air instead of the old radiators and the place actually feels warm. The best part is that we now have an attached garage so we can get into a nice, warm car every morning and don't have to shovel snow off of it. Yep. I'm living the high life now, baby!

murkybubble

Member # 164

Rate Member

posted December 11, 2003 11:31      Profile for murkybubble   Author's Homepage   Email murkybubble   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
that's horrible, but thank goodness no one was hurt.

--------------------
...bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity...

Posts: 148 | From: A Beautiful Oblivion | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Christy

Member # 4

Member Rated:

posted December 11, 2003 14:28      Profile for Christy   Author's Homepage   Email Christy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jody:

The best part is that we now have an attached garage so we can get into a nice, warm car every morning and don't have to shovel snow off of it. Yep. I'm living the high life now, baby!

Oh my god. I love having car garages. I never full appreciated them until now. My car sits outside all day long on the street because my complex only gives each condo one spot... and there's 3 cars in my apartment.. soooo. sigh. Out to the street you go, Car. Then again.. I never had to shovel snow.

And I am willing to bet any of you here that my apartment is the coldest one of the whole Bored.

--Christy

--------------------
panda panda panda!

Posts: 276 | From: La Jolla | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Klink

Member # 78

posted December 11, 2003 14:31      Profile for Colonel Klink   Author's Homepage   Email Colonel Klink   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ***norm:

Can someone explain to me what this actually means? Cuz I'm not that familiar with english after all! Thx.

--------------------
Industrial Revolution has flipped a bitch on Evolution.

Posts: 665 | From: Stalag 13 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
murkybubble

Member # 164

Rate Member

posted December 11, 2003 15:46      Profile for murkybubble   Author's Homepage   Email murkybubble   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Klink:

Can someone explain to me what this actually means? Cuz I'm not that familiar with english after all! Thx.

he wanted to know if she liked her new house.

--------------------
...bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity...

Posts: 148 | From: A Beautiful Oblivion | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
kismet

Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted December 11, 2003 17:45      Profile for kismet   Author's Homepage   Email kismet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ohhh, poor David. actually has to resort to asking bored people for slang translations when I'm not around to ask. awwww

t'es nul ou quoi?

--------------------
kim
cheesygoodness!

Posts: 222 | From: here, bitches. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted December 12, 2003 07:47      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the kind words all...I keep trying to reassure myself by saying that it could have been much worse but that fact still does not take away the feelings of violationa and "icky"ness that Norm and David described...

As far as the hunt for a future house is concerned, we were thinking of waiting for a year or so whne the credit card would be paid off and our daycare fees would be lessended, but now we're definitely re-evaluating things...if we do stay put for a while I'll be getting an alarm for our rental house and asking the owners to pay for half of the installation cost...I mean it will only increase the value of their home so it's kind of a sure thing on their end...

Anyway...thanks again for thinking of us .

P.S. We've been taking measure to further secure our home, such as Christy's idea of "barring" the windows shut...I realize taht if they want in they'll find a way, but I'm gonna make it as difficult on them as possible...

[ December 12, 2003: Message edited by: PunkMunkey ]

--------------------
Have you ever felt like you've been cheated?

Posts: 520 | From: Sweet Home Sacramento! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted December 14, 2003 00:50      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thats terrible.

Yeah I dont know, my house is always open. Kind of weird I guess, but I guess we humans need something bad to teach us a lesson.

Not that thats an invitation to steal my shizat all you peeps! but yeah. That really sucks RJ, Im glad everyone is okay.

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

Posts: 1564 | From: Galactic Empire | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Belong to Us!  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | nethijinx, ltd.

(c) 2000 + 19 nethijinx, ltd.