my profile / private messages | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Bored   » The Bored™   » Everything™ and then Some   » southern california fires

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: southern california fires
Christy

Member # 4

Member Rated:

posted October 27, 2003 23:27      Profile for Christy   Author's Homepage   Email Christy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ugh.

The number of homes in San Diego county that are burned so far: 845

This one residential area called Scripps Ranch had 300 homes (of that 845) that were completely destroyed. In some neighborhoods, the only thing that remains are chimneys. Whole neighborhoods just completely gone in one night. Fuck.

scripps ranch

The fire in that area (called the Ceder Fire) was started by a fucking hunter who was lost and decided to start a signal fire. It got way out of control due to the dry weather and Santa Ana winds.. and ended up destroying about 206,000 acres so far.

Then there's about 3 or 4 other major fires in San Diego County.. not to mention ones in San Bernadino, Simi Valley, and Ventura. Ugh.

This is just so hard to digest. It's so unbelievable. School's been cancelled for two days in a row. And I know some fucktards who are taking it as a "holiday" to get drunk and shit.. It's just so hard to believe what's really going on.

I hope everyone in Southern California is staying safe.

--Christy

--------------------
panda panda panda!

Posts: 276 | From: La Jolla | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted October 28, 2003 07:51      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I seriously hope they're thinking of charging that guy with felony arson and/or manslaughter (seeing as how 15 people have died in these fires so far)...

It's so surreal...seems like the whole southern half of the sate is just burning...and when I think of all the people that have lost literally EVERYTHING, it just leaves me with this hollow feeling...

The worst part of it is that CDF isn't even close to containing these fires...I just hope that this doesn't get too much worse before it gets better...

--------------------
Have you ever felt like you've been cheated?

Posts: 520 | From: Sweet Home Sacramento! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Christy

Member # 4

Member Rated:

posted October 28, 2003 09:48      Profile for Christy   Author's Homepage   Email Christy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When I watched the news last night.. it said most of these fires in San Diego County were 0% contained. My aptmate's home was close to being evacuated. She said the fire was about a mile away, but luckily for her the wind changed and the fire went the opposite direction.

A lot of the San Diego firefighters were sent to help with the San Bernadino fires earlier last week. But apparently, since the SD firefighters were under San Bernadino jurisdiction.. a lot of the firemarshalls over there refused to let the SD firefighters come back to help out at home. But I think they were finally allowed to come back yesterday. And help from Nevada and Arizona are supposed to be on its way.. And the weather kinda cooperating today.. so I HOPE HOPE HOPE these fires are being contained SOON!

This is a large image.. but this is a map of the fire as of 9PM last night (Monday). Ugh.

--Christy

--------------------
panda panda panda!

Posts: 276 | From: La Jolla | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mike

Member # 14

Member Rated:

posted October 28, 2003 09:51      Profile for Mike   Email Mike   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PunkMunkey:
I seriously hope they're thinking of charging that guy with felony arson and/or manslaughter (seeing as how 15 people have died in these fires so far)...

what guy?

Small Wonder

Member # 172

Member Rated:

posted October 28, 2003 12:21      Profile for Small Wonder   Email Small Wonder   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fire's suck. I'm from Malibu (but go to school at UC Santa Cruz) and let me tell I missed more days of school for fires than for me being sick. Almost every other year there is a fire in Malibu and we are forced to leave out house. It sucks!

I hope all these fires get under control soon!

--------------------
"...And Really Bad Eggs"

Posts: 131 | From: Earth | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted October 28, 2003 13:02      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike:
what guy?

...the hunter guy that was lost and thought that it would be a good idea to signal for help by starting a fire in the middle of a shitload of dry brush and really windy conditions...see Christy's original post.

--------------------
Have you ever felt like you've been cheated?

Posts: 520 | From: Sweet Home Sacramento! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
murkybubble

Member # 164

Rate Member

posted October 28, 2003 16:09      Profile for murkybubble   Author's Homepage   Email murkybubble   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
so far 3 of my friends have been evacuated.
the entire mountain where my camp is has been evacuated, and the camp is FULL of dead trees. please don't let my camp burn down...
and i'm so scared the claremont colleges are gonna burn down...
this is all so scary.
and even though i'm not near the fires i am, and most everyone else is, totally sick from all the ash and smoke in the air.

--------------------
...bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity...

Posts: 148 | From: A Beautiful Oblivion | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Small Wonder

Member # 172

Member Rated:

posted October 28, 2003 16:22      Profile for Small Wonder   Email Small Wonder   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Its not snow.

--------------------
"...And Really Bad Eggs"

NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted October 29, 2003 00:57      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Isnt that an old picture from some other fire? Yellowstone or something? Seems like I've seen that way long time ago or something.

Fires. Yeah. Still sorta smokey here, but not too bad.

But I mean, its California.. Fires and Earthquakes come with the pretty scenery and fine livin'. I think Gray Davis set the fires to make trouble for Arnold.. maybe not.. but still..

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

Posts: 1564 | From: Galactic Empire | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clobber

Member # 38

Member Rated:

posted October 29, 2003 09:52      Profile for Clobber     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
holy fuck.

When i first saw that on the news i couldn't believe my eyes. I mean the amount of fire, the amount of destruction...it just seemed unbelievable....not to mention all those people being evacuated. I have heard of crazy forest fires in the western provinces, but from the little i know, they seem to stick within the forests.....these ones in cali seem worse somehow...i guess because soo many people are being affected in an immediate sense....

--------------------
Sink it

Posts: 316 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Small Wonder

Member # 172

Member Rated:

posted October 29, 2003 10:35      Profile for Small Wonder   Email Small Wonder   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Originally posted by NSA:
Isnt that an old picture from some other fire? Yellowstone or something? Seems like I've seen that way long time ago or something.

It was from one of the Malibu fires. That's actually part of the canyon where I live.

--------------------
"...And Really Bad Eggs"

All times are Belong to Us!  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | nethijinx, ltd.

(c) 2000 + 19 nethijinx, ltd.