my profile / private messages | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Bored   » The Bored™   » Everything™ and then Some   » Being a middle class, white, male sucks. (rant about college)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Being a middle class, white, male sucks. (rant about college)
Daniel

Member # 54

Member Rated:

posted October 22, 2003 16:08      Profile for Daniel   Email Daniel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm a senior in high school, so now is the time to apply for scholarships. Well, guess what? The am unqualified for the one scholarship that even closely pertains to my "college goals." I want to study Mechanical Engineering, and the local University that has that degree and is certified by the state is a private school. It's like $20,000 a year, so I need lots of financial aide and scholarships to help pay.

I got the application for this Society of Automotive Engineers scholarship, and as I filled it out I got to the ACT score part. I got a 23 on the ACT, and that is good enough to get into the colleges I am thinking about going to. This scholarship requires that you get at least a 27. What the fuck is that? How can they decide I am not eligable for a scholarship on the basis of this one test? I know if I really wanted the scholarship, I'd just take the ACT again, but chances are I wouldn't get a 27, or I would be denied anyway. There goes 1,000 a year.

Black Expo. Hum. I'm getting higher than a 2.0 GPA, and I have to graduate from High School. All right. Oh shit, I'm not black so I don't get any of the money. Fuck reverse racism. Where is my "lazy white boy" scholarship?

21st Century Scholars. Hey, free tuition anywhere in Indiana? Great. Oh shit, my parents have jobs and pay taxes. I don't get any of this money because I have to pay full price for books and lunch. My parents are not rich at all. We have two 22 year olds living at home, and I am a 17 year old. My dad usually works over 12 hours a day to support our family. My sister is about to go to Grad school. But because my parents are still married, and the amount of money coming in is greater than the cost of books and lunch, I don't qualify for these either.

I was going through others at school, and I'm not getting money because I am not a dancer, I don't run track, and I actually have to get paid for doing work instead of wasting my precious time petting puppies at the animal shelter.

I hate to see what I will get for financial aide, once my brother and sister move out. It's tough being a middle class white boy.

--------------------
"Hats off to the nun with the man hands."

i was/am WashinMyGoat.

Posts: 386 | From: Evansville, In, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
murkybubble

Member # 164

Rate Member

posted October 22, 2003 16:15      Profile for murkybubble   Author's Homepage   Email murkybubble   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
don't even get me started on college applications.
i got a 1360 on the SAT, 750, 600, and 710 on the three SAT 2's i took, and i have a 3.95 gpa without PE and stuff averaged out.
i'm on dean's list, i'm in the spanish honor society, i'm head yearbook photographer, i have 850 hours of community service.

and yet, because i am not an albino eskimo who runs an organization where midget aids patients rescue baby seals, there's a big chance i won't get into the schools i want to go to.

yaaaaaaaaargh.

--------------------
...bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity...

Posts: 148 | From: A Beautiful Oblivion | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Daniel

Member # 54

Member Rated:

posted October 22, 2003 16:24      Profile for Daniel   Email Daniel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I think I want to marry a black chick and sell drugs so that my kids can go to college for free. Come on, a "Must have endured a personal hardship growing up" requirement? Fuuuuck that.

I guess I could qualify for this one, but then everyone would think it is racist.

--------------------

i was/am WashinMyGoat.

melissa

Member # 15

Member Rated:

posted October 22, 2003 17:42      Profile for melissa   Email melissa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
my dad keeps telling me that i should change the last two letters of my last name, -os, to -ez so it sounds hispanic.

and i really really hope i get into my first choice because i really don't want to go anywhere else.

of course it might help if i actually, like, filled out the application and stuff. 'cause it's due in, oh, 9 days.

fuuuuuuck.

--------------------
"why should i listen to you, cher? you're a virgin who can't drive."

Posts: 257 | From: mass | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mike

Member # 14

Member Rated:

posted October 22, 2003 21:20      Profile for Mike   Email Mike   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i remember being in your positions!!!

first off..once you finish all the college stuff you feel a million times better than you did before. trust me. once january comes you'll feel much much much better.

anyway. those scholarships are impossible to get..i applied for a bunch last year and i think i got $750 from my mom's union. if your schools have general scholarships apply for those, i got 2 and one of them i didn't qualify for. also, don't forget that the schools you apply to may offer you merit based scholarships. those are great if you get them because usually you're not expecting it (at least i wasn't) and then you find out that you've been given a ton of money. it's great. ok anyway...just relax. write essays on anything. even stupid things. i wrote my main essay on my parrots. i wrote my SAT2 writing one on star wars (and invluded a quote ). do whatever you think you can write about that'll help you get in to the school or get the scholarship.

Christy

Member # 4

Member Rated:

posted October 23, 2003 09:19      Profile for Christy   Author's Homepage   Email Christy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hm. From my experience... I've never had any outside scholarships. My entire tuition is paid through government loans, "grants," and my parents. I forget the cutoff family income is for financial aide... but check out http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ for information on the FAFSA form. The forms are available in January, and due around March-ish. If you qualify, that's where the bulk of your tuition money will come from.

I am currently a third year in college, and I've only taken out a total of $8,800 in loans. And yes, that's a fuckload. But it's smaller than everyone else's debt. If/ When you take out loans, make sure to look at interest rates, how fast you need to pay it back, etc. There's usually a lot of options so just look around.

And I dont know if your state offers a loan type called "work study". But if you're able to fill out the FAFSA form... sign up for work study. The government will pay for like $2,300 if you are willing to work at an on campus job (at the library, etc).

I don't know. That was a lot of rambling. But I hope that helped.

--Christy

--------------------
panda panda panda!

Posts: 276 | From: La Jolla | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Daniel

Member # 54

Member Rated:

posted October 23, 2003 11:36      Profile for Daniel   Email Daniel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I forgot about all of the scholarships that just pop up. My sister had a ton of them from a bank she isn't even a member of. I'll just have to wait and see.

--------------------

i was/am WashinMyGoat.

Geektanic

Member # 45

Member Rated:

posted October 23, 2003 15:43      Profile for Geektanic   Author's Homepage   Email Geektanic   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
be happy you have the oppurtunity to go to college. be happy that you have had a free education for the last 12 years. be happy you are able to sit on a computer in a house and whine about how you can't get scholarships.

--------------------
Do the stars conspire to pin us down like butterflies? - Jets to Brazil

Posts: 176 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Belong to Us!  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | nethijinx, ltd.

(c) 2000 + 19 nethijinx, ltd.