my profile / private messages | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Bored   » The Bored™   » Everything™ and then Some   » car insurance...blows

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: car insurance...blows
melissa

Member # 15

Member Rated:

posted June 30, 2003 16:00      Profile for melissa   Email melissa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
so this weekend my brother & i were doing some work for my dad at one of the plants, and on our way noticed a nifty little car for sale. we stopped sunday morning. it's a 1964 corvair convertible. it runs, has 87,000 (original) miles on it, it just needs a speedometer cable and some work on the paint. and it's only $2,500. my dad said he would lend me the money if i worked it off, 'cause he'd rather i didn't blow my savings on it, and i'm perfectly okay with being his slave for a few months. so it was all-systems-go for awhile. i got all excited about my new toy.

but then i called the insurance company and asked how much it would cost to add the thing to all the other cars we've got insured, with me as the primary driver. $2,225 was the answer i got. HOLY FUCKING SHIT. that's basically the goddamn purchase price! my parents will probably want me to pay the insurance on it, because they already pay for the crapwagon, and my dad would be lending me money for betty (i've already named it, i'm totally in love, and i don't know how i will live without this car!) and i have no way of making $2,225 a year. i can't get a job because of my hellish school schedule. i mean, this spring i didn't get home until 8 or 9 every night. plus, i could only drive this car (betty) about 9 months a year, b/c of snow and salt and shit.

but it doesn't seem right to me to pass on it completely. i think i'll seriously regret it in the future, because as the years go on it will be harder and harder to find one of these, especially in that kind of condition for that kind of price. what i'm thinking at this point is i'll buy it and work on it (the interior needs work, and it needs either a new paint job or the original paint needs work, both things my dad can teach me how to do) and just wait until i have enough money for insurance to drive it. it'll hurt not being able to go out and show it off, but i don't know. maybe when my dad goes out to look at it with me tommorrow he'll find something horrid so i won't feel so bad about passing on it.

but damn, it was depressing getting the call from the insurance company.

--------------------
"why should i listen to you, cher? you're a virgin who can't drive."

Posts: 257 | From: mass | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Daniel

Member # 54

Member Rated:

posted June 30, 2003 18:07      Profile for Daniel   Email Daniel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Have you dad be the primary driver, or get liability. Liability for me is still 1,000 a year, but it's better than what full coverage would be. Plus, since you know insurance won't fix your car if it's your fault, you drive more careful.

By the way, my dad's first car was a 1962 Corvair convertible. Since the engine is in the rear, it might do ok in the snow since all of the weight is over the rear tires, but it might not do very well handling at higher speeds. My dad's caught on fire on time because they used to leak oil, and my dad never changed the seals and stuff because he was young and lazy. That caused it to catch on fire. He said it was a good little car. Just don't tell Ralph Nader about it, since he is believed to be the one that killed the Corvair.

Also, since it's an old car, look out for rust and make sure the body isn't all Bondo(plaster filler stuff). If the body is nice, see if you can get it for 2,000 just because people always price cars higher because they expect people to haggle.

--------------------
"Hats off to the nun with the man hands."

i was/am WashinMyGoat.

Posts: 386 | From: Evansville, In, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sickb0y

Member # 42

posted June 30, 2003 18:12      Profile for sickb0y        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
wow... you guys sure do get jipped on the insurance. crazy. for me driving my mitsubishi mirage (or a colt as it's known in germany/france/britain etc) was only $1700 a year when i first got it (which is about $800 USD). And that was because i was a male driver under 25 (in australia they are apparently the most accident prone - but studies have shown women are getting worse than us). and i was living in the middle of the city - so it caused it to be high.

but this year i think i'll only be paying about $1000 ($650 USD) because of a no claim bonus of 45%. Wow... you guys are getting jipped.

melissa

Member # 15

Member Rated:

posted July 01, 2003 06:21      Profile for melissa   Email melissa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
the quote that i got was with liability, not full coverage, 'cause my dad's just got liability on all the cars apparently.

the thing with the snow is that while the rear engine would be helpful, corvairs are so low to the ground that in deep snow (like, over three inches) it would just float on top. and i can't take for granted that all the roads will be plowed perfectly, because they won't be. at all. those of us out here in western mass get totally screwed over as far as the distribution of highway dept. money goes, because of boston stealing all of it for the Big Dig. bastards.

plus, it would never make it up my driveway ...this winter, when i was driving an electric truck (yes, electric. prototype program from ford. it was pretty kickass, but no good in the winter) which was really lightweight (no engine, just battery packs) and of course no 4wd, we had to tow it up the driveway a bunch of times with my dad's new 4wd truck. since it didn't have a towhook in the front, i would have to get it up the smaller hill to the flat part ass backwards, which was always interesting. the really fun part though would be when my dad's truck would start slipping towing me up the bigass steep hill, to the point where i would have to tow him back down the hill so we could try again. the really frustrating part was that we couldn't just leave it at the bottom of the driveway for the night because if it didn't get charged overnight, i would have no way to get to school. yeah, electric vehicles are not yet practical for wintery places.

but i imagine the corvair would be equally impractical. plus, it doesn't have heat, and after an entire winter of driving the electric truck without heat to conserve battery power and the windows rolled down because i can't turn the defroster on for the same reason, heat is very very important to me.

it doesn't have too much (visible) rust, just a couple of spots on the hood, but my dad stopped briefly last night to write down the guy's home # and he said something about the chrome under the doors possibly hiding "a multitude of sins" as he put it. but at this point it's not looking too good...he gave a long speech last night about how if i really am interested in this car, i should do more research on it, read "unsafe at any speed" and a whole lot of other books relating to corvairs, and that there will always be corvairs hanging around. bleh.

--------------------

Lord Dante

Member # 175

Rate Member

posted July 01, 2003 06:40      Profile for Lord Dante   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah life is a dream until you look into insurance. My wife and I pay about $1400 per year for our two cars, but we have multiple policy discount and are in the older age bracket.

You might also see if the insurance company gives a discount for completing a driving course.

My old volleyball coach had a corvair. They are cool cars. But isn't when you are young that you are supposed to get the cars that are "unsafe at any speed".

--------------------
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
Lord Dante
"I have come here to chew bubblegum
and kick ass....
and I am all out of bubblegum

Posts: 17 | From: Santa Barbara | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Daniel

Member # 54

Member Rated:

posted July 02, 2003 17:29      Profile for Daniel   Email Daniel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Classic.

--------------------
"Hats off to the nun with the man hands."

i was/am WashinMyGoat.

Posts: 386 | From: Evansville, In, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
melissa

Member # 15

Member Rated:

posted July 03, 2003 13:06      Profile for melissa   Email melissa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hahahaha...that's great...

--------------------

All times are Belong to Us!  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | nethijinx, ltd.

(c) 2000 + 19 nethijinx, ltd.