my profile / private messages | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Bored   » The Bored™   » Everything™ and then Some   » Just thought I would share...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just thought I would share...
***norm

Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted June 01, 2003 17:55      Profile for ***norm   Email ***norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
what i have been up to of late, as it hasn't been posting here.

Over the last couple of months, Lisa and I have been talking about getting married. Moreso about when, because we just know we are going to get married. THe thing is, I had never asked her "Will you marry me." It was always "When we get married..." Well, Lisa's birthday is Sunday, and I really wanted to get her a ring and what not. (She is turning 30 and is a
bit upset about it...) Well, events conspired against me recently, as buying jewelry is something I am not really sure of. Anyway, she kept asking me what I was going to get her for her birthday. Not at all expecting me to be shopping for an engagement ring. I was pretty tight lipped about stuff, and just said I was going to get her a couple of small things and take her on a shopping trip to Nordstrom's... LIES I TELL YOU!

Well, eventually, over the course of the last two weeks, as the day approached, she was getting down. The idea of being THIRTY and not married means a lot more to her than it did to me. In October, the day passed without a tear for me, but, I am a guy so what do I know?
Anyway, as she got more and more sad, I just couldn't understand it at all... So Wednesday, asked her what it was all about. She explained that she was just feeling like a loser, turning 30 and not being married made her feel horrible. I decided, right then to just ask her. No ring, nothing, just the words and their sincerity. Man, talk about an emotional statement. "Will you marry me" just doesn't flow off the tongue as easily as you would think. It has some serious weight. So teary eyed, i explained that I wanted to get her a ring, and wanted to ask her to marry me, but all of the shit going wrong with my house, and money just being sent on everything else under the sun, I just didn't hink I could afford it, blah blah blah...
She smiled and accepted, but then got a little miffed at me for not having even a garbage tie to signify the occasion. I felt like an ass. I should have thought of something, I am resourceful and creative. Alas, I failed. But, she did say yes, and was very understanding.

Well, Thursday morning I got up, went to work, left at noon to shop for a ring. I decided that since I am already in debt, and will be for life (That's what a house does for you...) , I might as well get a ring for her. I shopped around a bit, and, let me tell you, IT IS FUCKING HARD to pick out a ring for someone. So I bought nothing. Later Thursday night, I went into the computer room here, and Lisa was actually looking at rings. Not expecting me to get one soon or anything, more or less just thinking about it. Through simple conversation, as she browsed, I was able to get an idea of what she would like. That is a huge help. Friday I took the day off and went shopping. I found two rings that were great. One I absolutely loved, and another was more in tune with what she was looking at. (The one I liked was a single engagement/wedding ring, the other was a two piece set.) I didn't want to pick the one I liked, as I don't have to wear it, so I decided to wait.
I went to her work at quitting time, picked her up like we were just going home. I turned at a different spot and pulled into the store. She kind of freaked, as jewelry stores always have signs and what not. I then told her that I had two rings set aside, and whichever one she liked was hers. She lokked at them both, and kind of teared up. She then chose the one I really liked, the jeweler set it aside, had the center stone inserted, and on Saturday morning we picked it up.

I have to say this... Nothing in my life, no gift I have ever given has given me as much pleasure and warm fuzzy feelings as the ring. Lisa is overjoyed and shows it to a lot of people, and I just smile a lot. I am officially engaged to be married. Something I never thought would happen, and I have never been happier. I sincerely hope that everyone has, or will, feel as good as I do right now.

It looks like next April or so will be the trip to Vegas for the wedding. We plan on having a gathering there, and then a party for anyone else back here. Wow is there a lot of planning involved. it's really kind of fun...

If any of you choose, when we set a date i will post it and you can come to Vegas for a wedding.

--------------------
•Taking money from religious people is like beating retards at checkers.
• Alcoholics Anonymous is to Jesus Freaks what still water is to mosquitos
•* I understand war for some reasons. Land, money, a girl, that can be understood. Now war over god, that's a whole different issue. There is no way I can justify a war over who has a better invisible friend.

Posts: 238 | From: Norm's Ghetto House | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted June 01, 2003 19:44      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Congrats!

...Next April should be good for me ...umm...that is, should you choose April for the date I will clear my schedule to attend!

I'm truly happy for you Norm...I know how frustrating it can be waiting for that one to come along, and I know how both exciting and kind of nerve-racking it can be when she does...but believe me, it's happening for you the same way it happened for me...things are just falling into place and like myself, you're a willing passenger on fate's wild ride...it's the most fun you'll ever have...

Aimée turns 30 this year in November (I'll probably recive a right swift ass-kicking for posting that)...she too is looking at this as a milestone year...I'll have to come up with some sort of grand gesture as well, don't know quite how I'm going to meet the high standards of yours, but I'll try ...

Damn!...I'm, almost at a loss for words here!...Man, how grown up are we?!?...in any case, many congratulations on your engagement and my regards to Lisa as well...keep me posted on the wedding date and I'll make it happen

--------------------
Have you ever felt like you've been cheated?

Posts: 520 | From: Sweet Home Sacramento! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
murkybubble

Member # 164

Rate Member

posted June 01, 2003 20:04      Profile for murkybubble   Author's Homepage   Email murkybubble   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
awwww!
congratulations!
i don't see what the big deal with turning thirty is... i could see forty being a big deal... i guess i'll figure it out when i get there.
congrats again.

--------------------
...bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity...

Posts: 148 | From: A Beautiful Oblivion | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
sickb0y

Member # 42

posted June 01, 2003 23:01      Profile for sickb0y        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
congratulations norm! a swell of emotion came over when i read it... THIS is the kinda stuff that makes love that much more special... yay!
kismet

Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted June 02, 2003 00:01      Profile for kismet   Author's Homepage   Email kismet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
awww. Norm rocks the hizouse.

--------------------
kim
cheesygoodness!

Posts: 222 | From: here, bitches. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
William for Squilliam

Member # 153

Rate Member

posted June 02, 2003 01:34      Profile for William for Squilliam   Email William for Squilliam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Congratulations for reals yo. You've earned it, Sailor

--------------------
Bharamanapa

Jody

Member # 7

Member Rated:

posted June 02, 2003 06:51      Profile for Jody   Email Jody   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very impressive, Norm! I'm happy for you
Scott never proposed to me. We just discussed and planned for it...
I will turn 30 in March and I am pretty sure that I will cry like a baby.

Posts: 149 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted June 02, 2003 13:42      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow Congratulations NORMSTOCK!

Thats crazy.. I'm sure it will all work out wonderfully.. make sure to let us know when and where, I'll totally be there. Crazy Congrats!

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

Posts: 1564 | From: Galactic Empire | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Christy

Member # 4

Member Rated:

posted June 04, 2003 16:10      Profile for Christy   Author's Homepage   Email Christy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm, that is absolutely and completely wonderful. I was beginning to wonder what was going on with you. It's good to see that you're still happy and doing great!

--Christy

--------------------
panda panda panda!

Posts: 276 | From: La Jolla | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ewan

Member # 111

Member Rated:

posted June 04, 2003 21:16      Profile for Ewan   Author's Homepage   Email Ewan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nicely done Norm! Congratulations.

--------------------
Having fun or dying young?
It's hard to tell.

Posts: 316 | From: Bristol, England | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Klink

Member # 78

posted June 05, 2003 11:15      Profile for Colonel Klink   Author's Homepage   Email Colonel Klink   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's great ! All my best wishes of happiness (in advance) to you kiddo... err, Norm. To both of you, of course.
I like the way you dealt with this thing. It's the kinda way I like things to get done.
I also think the "turning 30" anguish is overrated. Actually, if we had, like Mickey mouse, only 8 fingers, it would be turnning 32 that might freak us out.
I also hate how everyone thinks they have to "accomplish" their lives by doing stereotypical things. I like marriage for its meaning, just like a gift. Not because it's "normal" to get married, although we all need the security that traditions bring.

I have a friend who's totally flipping cuz he's 35 and has no kids and no wife or not even a long-staying girlfriend. It makes me sad when he takes pills to forget about it all.And he's like this because everybody's fucking head is impregnated with models, schemes that we have to follow.
Clemenceau said "Une vie est une oeuvre d'art. Il n'y a pas de plus beau poème que de vivre pleinement. Echouer même est enviable, pour avoir tenté."(A life is a masterpiece. There no more beautiful poem than to live to the full. Even failing is enviable, for having tried/dared)
That's not how I see life and hope you all see it.

So my wish for you, Norm, is that, through the years to come, you make your future wife so happy that she won't even realize she turns 30 or 40 or 80. That's the best way for her to grow old without getting old.

But I'm quite disappointed. I'd thought you'd be more romantic and offer her a mariage in France or Europe. (or maybe a honeymoon here )

--------------------
Industrial Revolution has flipped a bitch on Evolution.

Posts: 665 | From: Stalag 13 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
homie

Member # 188

Rate Member

posted June 05, 2003 11:40      Profile for homie   Author's Homepage   Email homie   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
congratulations, norm! i wish you 'n your fiance the best of....everything!

--------------------
i was stinkierthanacow...or something. don't quite remember.

Posts: 7 | From: fuckfax | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zesty

Member # 36

Member Rated:

posted June 08, 2003 12:36      Profile for Zesty   Email Zesty   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Congrats to you both and best wishes.

--------------------
You're not fully evil, until you're zestyfully evil!
MWA HA HA HA HA!

Posts: 206 | From: Inside my Mind | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Foo

Member # 16

Member Rated:

posted June 08, 2003 18:50      Profile for Foo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
congrats!

--------------------
Come check out my band's site: Cheap Suits We're a ska band who has opened up for the suicide machines, reel big fish, the living end, and are slowly progressing towards world domination

Posts: 269 | From: oakville, ontario, canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Daniel

Member # 54

Member Rated:

posted June 08, 2003 19:26      Profile for Daniel   Email Daniel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Next thing you know, she will be squirting out a baby and we will have another member of the "Next Generation."

Congratulations and good luck.

--------------------
"Hats off to the nun with the man hands."

i was/am WashinMyGoat.

Posts: 386 | From: Evansville, In, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Belong to Us!  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | nethijinx, ltd.

(c) 2000 + 19 nethijinx, ltd.