my profile / private messages | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Bored   » The Bored™   » Everything™ and then Some   » so, what've you been reading? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: so, what've you been reading?
melissa

Member # 15

Member Rated:

posted March 10, 2003 18:14      Profile for melissa   Email melissa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i'm always reading something. just finished "nickeled and dimed: on (not) getting by in america" by barbara ehrenreich, "the girl's guide to hunting and fishing" by melissa bank, and some book called "who's hot/who's not" or something lame like that. it was about a magazine. it was lame. but 'nickeled and dimed' was definately a good read...didn't agree with the author's perspective in some parts but thought that it was educational. and currently i've got a stack of books i need to get through including the lord of the rings trilogy (yes, i know, i'm a loser who still hasn't read them, and i refuse to see the movies until i read the books.) anna karenina, and god knows what else. i don't even consciously add books to this stack, it just kind of grows...

so yeah. what have you all been reading lately.

--------------------
"why should i listen to you, cher? you're a virgin who can't drive."

Posts: 257 | From: mass | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geektanic

Member # 45

Member Rated:

posted March 10, 2003 20:12      Profile for Geektanic   Author's Homepage   Email Geektanic   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just finished "Me talk pretty one day" by David Sedaris. everyone MUST read this book! It is absoloutely hilarious and I cannot wait to go to the bookstore and buy one of his other books.

Also, at the moment I am reading the Ramyana for world history class. it is really quite good.

--------------------
Do the stars conspire to pin us down like butterflies? - Jets to Brazil

Posts: 176 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
nose over tail

Member # 57

Member Rated:

posted March 10, 2003 20:33      Profile for nose over tail   Email nose over tail   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i absolutely love chuck palahniuk's stuff. i finished choke a while back and i've been waiting for his new one, lullaby, to come out as a paperback.

[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: nose over tail ]

Posts: 304 | From: evansville | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
murkybubble

Member # 164

Rate Member

posted March 10, 2003 20:42      Profile for murkybubble   Author's Homepage   Email murkybubble   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i'm re-reading stranger in a strange land for the five millionth time.
oh, and i feel the need to read creepy susie by angus oblong at least once a week. if you haven't read it, get it now. it's 14 short stories and they're made of good. you can read the first story here. (go to the bottom of the page where it says "excerpt").

[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: murkybubble ]

--------------------
...bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity...

Posts: 148 | From: A Beautiful Oblivion | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
XaneinaX

Member # 169

Rate Member

posted March 10, 2003 21:04      Profile for XaneinaX     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i'm trying to read, but i get so caught up in other things i barely have time.

i finished "To Sir, With Love" a while ago.

I think I have been reading Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wutzell for about 6 months now. Yeah I read like crazy for one day every few months. I'm busy. What can I say.

There's a ton on my list to read though..

next up, The Belljar (Sylvia Plath)..anyone read it?

--------------------
for you the very stars are new

Posts: 10 | From: Lynn, MA (Pittsburgh 4 school) | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
the mdogg

Member # 17

Member Rated:

posted March 10, 2003 22:04      Profile for the mdogg   Author's Homepage   Email the mdogg   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i went high school on my ass

catch 22. of mice and men. to kill a mockingbird.

...calvin and hobbes, 10th anniversary

--------------------
www.moreorlessrock.com

Posts: 104 | From: Tallahassee / Tampa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
kismet

Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted March 10, 2003 22:09      Profile for kismet   Author's Homepage   Email kismet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I finished reading some book called "Birthday Girls" a couple weeks ago, I need to go to the bookstore and get myself something new.

That nickeled and dimed book mentioned above is on my wishlist of stuff I will buy one day (either when I luck into finding it in english here, or get around to placing an amazon order).

--------------------
kim
cheesygoodness!

Posts: 222 | From: here, bitches. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
WastedPotential

Member # 173

Rate Member

posted March 10, 2003 22:25      Profile for WastedPotential   Email WastedPotential   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
been on a reading kick lately. i've read:
Stupid White Men by Michael Moore
Culture Jam by .. some guy from AdBusters
a few plays by Oscar Wilde
The Hobbit and started FOTR
I just started The Virgin Suicides
and Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid by Hofstadter is sitting on my desk waiting

all of which are highly recommended, but probably not for everyone. first 2 are more political. Oscar Wilde and Virgin Suicides are just really well written works of literature. Eternal Golden Braid is crazy comp. sci theory/philosphy/math

Posts: 16 | From: seattle | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Small Wonder

Member # 172

Member Rated:

posted March 11, 2003 12:16      Profile for Small Wonder   Email Small Wonder   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nickel and Dimed is a great book. I'm now reading The Culture of Fear, it seems good so far. I still want to read Stupid White Men and re-read The Lord of Rings.

--------------------
"...And Really Bad Eggs"

Posts: 131 | From: Earth | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Klink

Member # 78

posted March 11, 2003 14:58      Profile for Colonel Klink   Author's Homepage   Email Colonel Klink   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WastedPotential:
been on a reading kick lately. i've read:
Stupid White Men by Michael Moore
Culture Jam by .. some guy from AdBusters
a few plays by Oscar Wilde
The Hobbit and started FOTR
I just started The Virgin Suicides
and Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid by Hofstadter is sitting on my desk waiting

all of which are highly recommended, but probably not for everyone. first 2 are more political. Oscar Wilde and Virgin Suicides are just really well written works of literature. Eternal Golden Braid is crazy comp. sci theory/philosphy/math

I've read Stupid white men (prolly the only english book I've read in ages) and I don't think it's that political. Actually, it's not so political to be boring. It's funny and witty. Sometimes he exagerates way too much though. Just for kicks but I'm pretty sure some people take it on the first degree. It's a good book to add to your watching "bowling for columbine".
And yeah, most of the facts in this book are true. Scaaaaaaaaaary.

--------------------
Industrial Revolution has flipped a bitch on Evolution.

Posts: 665 | From: Stalag 13 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
melissa

Member # 15

Member Rated:

posted March 11, 2003 18:16      Profile for melissa   Email melissa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I just finished "Me talk pretty one day" by David Sedaris. everyone MUST read this book! It is absoloutely hilarious and I cannot wait to go to the bookstore and buy one of his other books.

i loooove david sedaris. i haven't read 'me talk pretty one day' yet, i need to though! the book with 'the santa land diaries' in it...i think it's called 'holidays on ice'...everybody should listen to him read that, get it on tape rather than read it. for a few years, until the crapwagon ruined the tapes, my family would listen to it on our way to my aunt's for christmas dinner. definately gives you a new perpective on elves

--------------------

ruddegar

Member # 79

Member Rated:

posted March 11, 2003 20:17      Profile for ruddegar   Author's Homepage   Email ruddegar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
last week:

culture jam - kalle lasn
september 11 - noam chomsky
the society of spectacle - guy debord

this week (yet to be fully read):

fateful triangle - noam chomsky
fast food nation - eric schlosser
confronting consumerism - adbusters

Posts: 67 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
melissa

Member # 15

Member Rated:

posted March 13, 2003 06:51      Profile for melissa   Email melissa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i'm afraid that if i read fast food nation i will never be able to eat out again without feeling guilty. but i know i should. i'm torn.

--------------------

lost_astronaut

Member # 28

Member Rated:

posted March 14, 2003 02:48      Profile for lost_astronaut   Author's Homepage   Email lost_astronaut   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
arthur miller's "death of a salesman" in english class.

--------------------
this is a cave in.

Posts: 74 | From: santa monica, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sickb0y

Member # 42

posted March 20, 2003 19:29      Profile for sickb0y        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
well. i've been reading heavier than heaven and another kurt cobain biography. i've been on a big nirvana kick recently.

i also read recently "turning the tide - the definitive battles of world war 2". it's quite an intereting read. i had no idea about the germans in stalingrad and the street fighting that was going on. damn russians hiding out in the sewers kick ass.

Mike

Member # 14

Member Rated:

posted March 28, 2003 14:28      Profile for Mike   Email Mike   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
melissa, since you're a tree hugger like me you'll probably enjoy this book. "the man who planted trees" by jean giono. it's only about 50 pages and has pictures on every page yet i'm still doing it for a book report for APES.
Daniel

Member # 54

Member Rated:

posted March 28, 2003 22:06      Profile for Daniel   Email Daniel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike:
i'm still doing it for a book report for APES.

Damn dirty apes.

I read Motor Trend and Electronic Gaming Monthly because I'm not cool enough for books.

--------------------
"Hats off to the nun with the man hands."

i was/am WashinMyGoat.

Posts: 386 | From: Evansville, In, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clobber

Member # 38

Member Rated:

posted March 30, 2003 08:26      Profile for Clobber     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Right now i am reading The Pillars of Creation by Terry Goodkind....its alright....

--------------------
Sink it

Posts: 316 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
melissa

Member # 15

Member Rated:

posted March 30, 2003 16:19      Profile for melissa   Email melissa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i thought pillars of creation sucked compared to the other ones. he left so many loose ends at the end...and it was pretty lame to base a whole book on, depending on how many books he's planning this whole series to drag on for...

by the end of pillars of creation i wanted to shoot him. it was a waste of time. the next book had best be good.

--------------------

Clobber

Member # 38

Member Rated:

posted March 30, 2003 17:44      Profile for Clobber     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yes..i am finding that i don't like this book as well..
i mean so far, i haven't heard anything about Richard or Kahlan...or any of the old characters...they aren't even in the book so far..
It just seems like these other characters are building up the story until we get back to richard and them...but its past halfway, and they still have yet to make an appearance...thats bullshit.
We will see....i think he can do much better though...

i find that Robert Jordan's last couple books from The Wheel of Time series have had that same sort of lameness about them....they just aren't as good as the first ones.

--------------------
Sink it

melissa

Member # 15

Member Rated:

posted March 30, 2003 19:48      Profile for melissa   Email melissa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i haven't read any of the wheel of time books, do you recommend them?

i thought that pillars of creation would make a nice interlude in a book that actually had to do with the whole theme of, oh, i don't know, the main fucking characters and their struggles. stretching it out forever and ever was just lame. what was that man smoking.

i'm a little bitter about that book.

--------------------

madrid

Member # 180

posted April 14, 2003 20:59      Profile for madrid   Email madrid   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yay I love books.
I almost bought Nickled and Dimed a while back, but I didn't and haven't gotten around to it yet
Now I'm reading this book by Antoine de Saint-Exupery called Wind Sand and Stars which is very cool. It's pretty much him telling stories about being a pilot back in the days before radar and all that. Actually, it's a little scary.

edit: oops, i missed a bracket or something

[ April 14, 2003: Message edited by: madrid ]

--------------------
you're wierd is what you are

Posts: 4 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
jellylorum

Member # 181

Rate Member

posted April 14, 2003 21:07      Profile for jellylorum   Email jellylorum   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i read choke a couple weeks ago, and i really liked it. i'll get around to fight club soon. now i'm read beloved by toni morrison in english and shampoo planet by douglas coupland on my own. i just finished his dark materials trilogy by phillip pullman which were soo good. my other favorite books i've read recently were lamb by christopher moore (hilarious) and the frog king by adam davies

--------------------
You can never go home. But I guess you can shop there.

Posts: 5 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Clobber

Member # 38

Member Rated:

posted April 15, 2003 20:28      Profile for Clobber     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i highly suggest you read the wheel of time series....
its really good. You may find there are some similarities between that series and the sword of truth series...

--------------------
Sink it

kismet

Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted April 16, 2003 09:17      Profile for kismet   Author's Homepage   Email kismet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I finished a book called "Lola Comes Home" last week. Now I'm working on "The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint," which I am thoroughly enjoying so far.

--------------------
kim
cheesygoodness!

Jody

Member # 7

Member Rated:

posted April 16, 2003 11:29      Profile for Jody   Email Jody   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ugh! I just keep adding to my "to read" list. It's getting out of control. But, I have been reading all of John Irving's books..."The World According to Garp" and "The Cider House Rules" are both very good. I just read a few others, but I can't remember names right now.
Posts: 149 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
melissa

Member # 15

Member Rated:

posted April 16, 2003 20:22      Profile for melissa   Email melissa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
john irving is fun. but phillip pullman is funner.

--------------------

murkybubble

Member # 164

Rate Member

posted April 16, 2003 22:01      Profile for murkybubble   Author's Homepage   Email murkybubble   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jellylorum:
now i'm read beloved by toni morrison in english and shampoo planet by douglas coupland on my own.

i'm reading beloved in english, too. and i LOVE shampoo planet. i found it at the library sale when i was 14 (greatest thing ever, every year the library by my house has a fund raiser where they sell books that a. never get checked out or b. they have too many copies of).

--------------------

melissa

Member # 15

Member Rated:

posted April 19, 2003 18:56      Profile for melissa   Email melissa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i love library sales...ours has 2 of them every year, and since my mother is on the organization that runs them, if i help her, i can grab books i want before the sale is officially started. it rocks.

--------------------

jellylorum

Member # 181

Rate Member

posted April 20, 2003 00:10      Profile for jellylorum   Email jellylorum   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
if you're reading john irving (and you haven't already read this) read a prayer for owen meany, i think it's the best one. it's one of my favorite books ever.

--------------------
You can never go home. But I guess you can shop there.

Posts: 5 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
One Girl Army

Member # 62

Member Rated:

posted April 20, 2003 21:12      Profile for One Girl Army   Author's Homepage   Email One Girl Army   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The last three books I've read in the last few months were:

The Perks of Being A Wallflower
Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel
Please Stop Laughing at Me by Jodee Blanco (a true story written by this woman about her experiences being an outcast and being bullied throughout her elementary-high school years. I cried through the whole thing)

Right now I'm juggling between both Waldenand The Inferno because for some reason I can't read one straight through without wanting to read the other. I've bought a shitload of books recently and I still have the following to read and/or want to buy-

(that I have and am going to read):
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
The Most Beautiful Women in Town by Charles Bukowski (a collection of his short stories, I'm starting with those before I actually get one of his novels)
The Plague by Albert Camus
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
The Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr
Many Waters and A Wind in the Door by Madeline L'engle

I don't recall what I want to buy offhand. I'm on a reading kick right now, probably to make up for all the years I haven't been reading.

--------------------
*** Barrie ***
She walks softly but she carries a big gun...
Mimesis Entertainment

Posts: 222 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
kismet

Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted April 21, 2003 03:54      Profile for kismet   Author's Homepage   Email kismet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm glad to hear you're going to read The Bell Jar. I absolutely adore Sylvia Plath (although I think I am a bit more drawn to her poetry than TBJ).

--------------------
kim
cheesygoodness!

murkybubble

Member # 164

Rate Member

posted May 03, 2003 12:57      Profile for murkybubble   Author's Homepage   Email murkybubble   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by murkybubble:

i'm reading beloved in english, too.

well, now that i know that jellylorum is kim, who is in my damned english class, i feel retarded.
i need to pay better attention.

--------------------

sickb0y

Member # 42

posted May 04, 2003 22:13      Profile for sickb0y        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hmm... i've started reading "the bermuda triangle" by charles berlitz. i rarely find many stories i like (or bother looking for) to read. I much prefer factual accounts of something.
homie

Member # 188

Rate Member

posted May 11, 2003 18:49      Profile for homie   Author's Homepage   Email homie   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i just read Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. i liked it a LOT. made me evaluate the way i live 'n all that.

--------------------
i was stinkierthanacow...or something. don't quite remember.

Posts: 7 | From: fuckfax | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Belong to Us!
This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | nethijinx, ltd.

(c) 2000 + 19 nethijinx, ltd.