my profile / private messages | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Bored   » The Bored™   » Everything™ and then Some   » I got fired.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I got fired.
Daniel

Member # 54

Member Rated:

posted August 17, 2002 13:52      Profile for Daniel   Email Daniel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yesterday, at work, I was buying some cereal because it was on sale. At my store we used to always ring stuff up for cheap, but then the inventory came back $15,000 short so we stopped. Anyway, I take the cereal to the register and the girl rings it up for 26 cents. I think nothing of it and pay it. She takes some stuff to my register, and I type in 50 cents. She pays it and puts the bag under her register. I had a bad feeling about this because it has been months since I last rang stuff up for cheap.

After my shift was over at about 9:50, I walk out to the parking lot and I see a guy pointing at me and yells, "Get over here!" That scared the crap out of me so I kinda walked in the other direction because I didn't want to get molested. He yells again and finally pulls out his badge(when I saw him reach in his pocket I thought he was going to rob me). He explains that he has been working for 16 years for the company and is in charge of stolen stuff. He checks my receipt and asks if I only paid 26 cents. I told him I did so I had to sit in the back of his car.

He calls the owner dude, and he shows up and I was being honest with him and told him who was still in there and what they might be taking. I was just trying not to get "arrested" or whatever they do to juveniles.

When the girl leaves, they check her bags and put her in the car with me. The manager finally leaves at about 10:45 and my dad pulls into the parking lot because he is worried why i'm not home yet. The owner explains, and my dad is kindof mad. The manager gets arrested and so does the girl because they took more than a box of cereal and they are over 18.

Since i'm 16, the owner fires me and tells my dad to call his office today(which they havn't answered yet) and that he wants to meet me on Monday after school. I have a feeling I will be writing a check for about 70 bucks to pay him back(even thought I probably havn't taken that much).

In the end, I learned from my mistake and I will never let peer pressure control me into stealing cereal again.

--------------------
"Hats off to the nun with the man hands."

i was/am WashinMyGoat.

Posts: 386 | From: Evansville, In, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Christy

Member # 4

Member Rated:

posted August 17, 2002 15:17      Profile for Christy   Author's Homepage   Email Christy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[double post! yarg!]

[ August 17, 2002: Message edited by: Christy ]

--------------------
panda panda panda!

Posts: 276 | From: La Jolla | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Christy

Member # 4

Member Rated:

posted August 17, 2002 15:20      Profile for Christy   Author's Homepage   Email Christy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well damn. That sucks bad.

My friend's boyfriend's younger sister was caught shoplifting a telephone. Not a cell phone, but a telephone.. the kind that plugs into the wall. Not even a cordless one! But one of those cheap ass ones that are soooo 1990s. Heh. Anyway. That was off topic.

I don't think they'll do much to you. Good thing you're only 16 or else you would have gotten a harder punishment. But that's kinda crazy... $15,000 short. You kids must steal a lot of food or something.

--Christy

--------------------
panda panda panda!

Posts: 276 | From: La Jolla | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Daniel

Member # 54

Member Rated:

posted August 17, 2002 21:18      Profile for Daniel   Email Daniel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Most of the 15,000 is from my older brother and other older workers stealing beer. Before my brother went to Florida for vacation this summer, he stocked up on like 12 cases one night. When you think about that happening with about 6 other workers, 15,000 comes up fast in a 4 month period. The assistant manager who got fired is about 23, and he used to steal bags of food for his appartment. The thing is, I was probably the person who stole the least, and I actually wanted to pay for the cereal. I hope they fire everybody and run out of business because heroin addict ex-hookers can't do my job.

[ August 17, 2002: Message edited by: Daniel ]

--------------------

i was/am WashinMyGoat.

the placebo

Member # 20

Member Rated:

posted August 18, 2002 09:21      Profile for the placebo   Email the placebo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At my first job, I worked at Walgreens and something similar happened to me. One day a couple of friends came by and were telling me some stuff that was going on that night, and they bought a coke or something and left. I closed the store that night with the manager and I also had to work the next day. So the next day I come in and see this guy in a suit with a badge on who introduces himself to me as a 'Loss Prevention Supervisor' or something (basically people in charge of busting people for stealing). He brings me into the back warehouse area with my manager and starts asking me questions about the day before when my friends came by. He told me that he had video proof of me giving my friend too much change back for his coke. I was like no I didn't do that, not purposely at least. And I said well how much could it have been if it was just change...like 25 cents? He went off about how I handed my friend some bills from the register, which I know didn't happen. I asked him how short the register came up at the end of the day and he wouldn't tell me. He said that I had to admit giving them the money or I could be fired and/or arrested. That's when I got pissed and I was like look I didn't take or help anyone take anything. I want to see the videotape and I'll show you I didn't do anything wrong. He started being the Tough Guy and was like I deal with kids like you everyday - you're nothing special. I should just go ahead and arrest you and get it over with. I said alright then, do what you need to but I won't admit anything I didn't do. So he said okay go back into the store and we'll get you in 10 minutes after we talk. So 10 minutes pass and he brings me back in there and says "we've decided to let you keep your job." I was like haha okay, thanks for doing me such a favor. He said if anything like this happens again, you will be punished severely. I was so fucking mad after that. The thing was, I didn't steal anything from there and I didn't let my friends get stuff for free either because I knew how hard they check the registers and how many damn video cameras there are in there. I don't know what the deal was though, but it sucked.

--------------------
"now it is time for you to drink the melted silver teapot! enjoy a molten beverage that will coat your insides with a shiny smooth finish! then you will eat the table because i keep my promises!"

Posts: 205 | From: nashville, tn | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wasting Too Much Time

Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted August 18, 2002 20:40      Profile for Wasting Too Much Time   Author's Homepage   Email Wasting Too Much Time   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jesus H. Christ.

That is kind of funny actually. Stealing cereal.

But then it's not funny because you got caught. But why am I still laughing uncontrollably? You just made my day.

--------------------
you could say i do at least.

Posts: 284 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted August 19, 2002 00:29      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thats weird. People steal so much crap from my store its retarded.

Two of the assistant managers who worked with me got fired for buying soda's after they drank them. They bought a bunch right before inventory because they knew they probably drank some without paying for them. So the auditor see's this "suspicious" behavior and they got canned. kinda dumb.

But corporate life is that kinda b-shat. They just care about the bottom dollar and I guess people stealing a soda here and soda there, over what, 4500 stores, i guess it adds up.

Real g'z don't get caught, foo!

But that sucks, for cereal? Thats retarded. Though I am still confused on the whole "sell it for cheap" does that mean you just open the register and pull in cents? Or is there some barcode you can scan that discounts it? Cause at my work we can do coupon abuse I guess, but i dunno. Where did you work?

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

Posts: 1564 | From: Galactic Empire | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
kismet

Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted August 19, 2002 09:37      Profile for kismet   Author's Homepage   Email kismet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
as much as it sucks to be the little guy, it sucks even worse to be the manager of the store that turns up thousands of dollars short in merchandise. the store I was managing was audited like 3 weeks before I took it over (before the old manager quit), and it was short something like 28,000 bucks for the year. and this was an AFTERTHOUGHTS, people. I mean, the only thing they have even reasonably expensive is some gold earrings/chains that are in the thirty dollar range. and those are locked up, so when they're gone, it's internal theft. good times.

anyway, what I'm saying is they are hard asses on you because that is the kind of shit that gets THEM fired. and while you're working the register for 6 bucks an hour, they're paid on salary and have to feed their kids.

--------------------
kim
cheesygoodness!

Posts: 222 | From: here, bitches. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Daniel

Member # 54

Member Rated:

posted August 19, 2002 16:53      Profile for Daniel   Email Daniel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I learned my lesson. This whole thing reminds me of when you do something because it is "cool." I trusted the people who did it because they never got in trouble, and much like a naïve little kitten, I started doing it.

I had a meeting with the owner today in his office. I paid him 40 dollars and got banned from all of the stores.

About the ringing stuff up cheap, if something doesnt scan you can get a price check and you have to enter the price manually (like .88 Produce, or 1.25 Deli, or 1.29 grocery). We would take our stuff and then have them ring it up as .50 Grocery (what you do for newspapers). I dont know what the girl was thinking when she rang it up for 26 cents, because nothing costs 26 cents.

--------------------

i was/am WashinMyGoat.

the mdogg

Member # 17

Member Rated:

posted August 21, 2002 09:31      Profile for the mdogg   Author's Homepage   Email the mdogg   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
a buddy of mine got caught eating a candy bar at his supermarket, and they grabbed him and brought him into the backroom. they were yelling and screaming at him. they asked, "when did you first take something?" he didn't know. he said "a month." the intergator laughed and said "try 17 days!" and turned on the tv montitor. they had all these old tapes. they kept going. "what did you take? tell us everything!" he blurted out "i probably took a soda, some chips, and a snickers everyday i ever worked here!" and he'd been working there for a few years.

they ended up charging him something insane, like $3000.

i laughed and laughed

--------------------
www.moreorlessrock.com

Posts: 104 | From: Tallahassee / Tampa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geektanic

Member # 45

Member Rated:

posted August 22, 2002 12:45      Profile for Geektanic   Author's Homepage   Email Geektanic   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
when I worked at Sam Goody we have 6 playstations stolen from us in a span of 5 minutes.

The employees didnt do it, but, we werent paying attention and it was completly our fault.

--------------------
Do the stars conspire to pin us down like butterflies? - Jets to Brazil

Posts: 176 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
kismet

Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted August 25, 2002 03:45      Profile for kismet   Author's Homepage   Email kismet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
uh, duh?

we never lost anything that huge in our sam goody/suncoast (we were one of these "combo" stores they tried making, which basically was two stores, but with the paperwork of one store. and we had these two big doors that went from one store to the other, which made shoplifters happy).

however, there were a couple guys that had those little penknife things on their keychains. they would come in and jingle their keys the entire time they were in there and they'd use the knives to cut the top of the plastic security cases off so they could take the cds. those bastards.

--------------------
kim
cheesygoodness!

Posts: 222 | From: here, bitches. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Belong to Us!  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | nethijinx, ltd.

(c) 2000 + 19 nethijinx, ltd.