my profile / private messages | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Bored   » The Bored™   » Everything™ and then Some   » What kinda pet should I get?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What kinda pet should I get?
Zesty

Member # 36

Member Rated:

posted August 15, 2002 19:34      Profile for Zesty   Email Zesty   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking about getting a small animal-type pet, but I can't decide on what to get. I've narrowed it down to a few choices, though.
It's either a:

ferret
guinea pig
rat
gerbil

Alright! So...does anyone have any advice on which one to get? Have you owned any of these before? If so, what were they like? Help me out!

--------------------
You're not fully evil, until you're zestyfully evil!
MWA HA HA HA HA!

Posts: 206 | From: Inside my Mind | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geektanic

Member # 45

Member Rated:

posted August 15, 2002 19:39      Profile for Geektanic   Author's Homepage   Email Geektanic   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have had a rat and a bunny.

The rat was really easy to take care of. small cage, doesnt poop a lot. also, it would crawl up and sit on my shoulder. It was really quite endearing.

Nothing is cuter than a little bunny. But, they are A LOT of responsibility. They poop A LOT. if you let them run around the house, they will leave a trail of poop wherever they go. So you need to clean their cage quite a bit. Also, bunnies need bigger cages. So they are much harder to clean. They litle to chew on things, too. so watch out for that.

--------------------
Do the stars conspire to pin us down like butterflies? - Jets to Brazil

Posts: 176 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
nose over tail

Member # 57

Member Rated:

posted August 15, 2002 21:32      Profile for nose over tail   Email nose over tail   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i want a wookie. but my mom won't let me have one. actually, she won't let me have any pets. stupid mom. we used to have hamsters, two of them actually. a fat male and a super small female. the fat one would crawl on top of small one and hump it all the time. i thought for sure he would smash her. he probably did. he died and she disappeared.

another time, we had a turantula (spelling?) and my mom fed it a mouse (i was kind of against that). but instead of the spider eating the mouse, the mouse at the spider. that was kind of funny, although terribly ironic.

[ August 15, 2002: Message edited by: nose over tail ]

Posts: 304 | From: evansville | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clobber

Member # 38

Member Rated:

posted August 15, 2002 21:47      Profile for Clobber     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
go for the Hamster...its not on the list but they are good...

Or a bird...a male canary...they sing...its nice.

--------------------
Sink it

Posts: 316 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
melissa

Member # 15

Member Rated:

posted August 16, 2002 14:30      Profile for melissa   Email melissa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
you should totally go for a guinea pig. there are so many different breeds & colors, they're easy to care for, they're really affectionate and adorable. i've had guinea pigs for the last 6 years...i've had about 15 i think. now i'm down to 2 girls, haven't had any new babies for 3 years i think. i've been losing a pig every 6 months it seems they can live for a long time though, my oldest one was at least 6.

--------------------
"why should i listen to you, cher? you're a virgin who can't drive."

Posts: 257 | From: mass | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Christy

Member # 4

Member Rated:

posted August 16, 2002 20:02      Profile for Christy   Author's Homepage   Email Christy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Two words: chinCHILLA!

Oh man. I love those things. They're so darn cute. I want one. I want one bad. My classes in elementary school had rats and gerbils. If you get gerbils, don't get a wooden cage because they can eat right through that, as my 4th grade teacher learned at the end of the year. The gerbils had chewed to the bottom of the cage and created a hole.

I used to have rabbits, but I was way young and I cant remember how much care they needed. So yeah.

--Christy

--------------------
panda panda panda!

Posts: 276 | From: La Jolla | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clobber

Member # 38

Member Rated:

posted August 16, 2002 23:24      Profile for Clobber     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yeah those things are cute...i remember going to the pet store and just hanging out around the chinchilla cage thing...those things are the coolest.

i used to have rabbits...and ducks as well...
the rabits are pretty easy...we built a cage outside for them...with a little boxed in area so they could go in it to sleep or if it was raining...we used to take them on little walks too ...they wore harnesses.......yes...yes they did.

--------------------
Sink it

Posts: 316 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
kiddy

Member # 10

Member Rated:

posted August 17, 2002 16:41      Profile for kiddy   Email kiddy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
get a dog

--------------------
one two screw you

Posts: 173 | From: the gutter | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted August 19, 2002 00:31      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Get a Mog.

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

Posts: 1564 | From: Galactic Empire | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
kiddy

Member # 10

Member Rated:

posted August 19, 2002 02:30      Profile for kiddy   Email kiddy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
get a frog.

--------------------
one two screw you

Posts: 173 | From: the gutter | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mike

Member # 14

Member Rated:

posted August 20, 2002 13:07      Profile for Mike   Email Mike   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
log!!!!
k r i s t i n

Member # 98

Member Rated:

posted August 21, 2002 15:45      Profile for k r i s t i n   Author's Homepage   Email k r i s t i n   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
get a ferret!!!!!!!!!!! i think i've heard they smell but whatever. that one kicks all the other ones asses that you listed.

--------------------
shread the gnar gnar bro brah!

Posts: 526 | From: california | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
melissa

Member # 15

Member Rated:

posted August 21, 2002 17:21      Profile for melissa   Email melissa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
from what i've seen at pet stores, ferrets produce massive amounts of really smelly crap - they're carnivores, so they're not like any other small animal that lives in a cage, 'cause they've got smelly meat-eater poop.

edit: i forgot to mention that some of my guinea pigs enjoyed walking on leashes, they'd run all over the place, but lots of them are too timid and just sit there.

[ August 21, 2002: Message edited by: melissa ]

--------------------

Zesty

Member # 36

Member Rated:

posted August 21, 2002 22:18      Profile for Zesty   Email Zesty   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I kinda gave up on a ferret for now...kinda too expensive. Aren't they illegal in California? That's odd.

I wanted a guinea pig because they are so cute, but they seem kinda shy and boring...I dunno...it's still a possibility though.

I think I'll probably get a rat. But I'm still thinking it over.

--------------------
You're not fully evil, until you're zestyfully evil!
MWA HA HA HA HA!

Posts: 206 | From: Inside my Mind | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
melissa

Member # 15

Member Rated:

posted August 23, 2002 16:14      Profile for melissa   Email melissa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
guinea pigs are only shy & boring if they're scared, so of course they'll seem shy and boring in a pet store...take one home, let it settle in, give it stuff to play with, and they are totally not boring.

not that i'm pro-guinea pig, or anything...

--------------------

All times are Belong to Us!  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | nethijinx, ltd.

(c) 2000 + 19 nethijinx, ltd.