my profile / private messages | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Bored   » The Bored™   » Everything™ and then Some   » dvd movies - i need some more

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: dvd movies - i need some more
sickb0y

Member # 42

posted July 29, 2002 00:43      Profile for sickb0y        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hmm... i found out last night (while i was PACKING my dvd player up to move back home) that it is multi-region capable. this means that i can get some DVDs from other regions (obviously).

now... the conundrum is - what do i get? we've still got a very limited supply of DVDs here in australia, and i was wondering, what good movies (anything... i like most stuff) have come out in the americas/europe that are like... collectors editions and such?

that way i can get them when i'm in england.

NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted July 29, 2002 02:11      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even if its multiregion, I dont think it changes the fact that its still NTSC DVD's and you silly rest-of-the-world'ers use PAL.

But maybe I'M wrong cause its 2:11am and I am tired!

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

Posts: 1564 | From: Galactic Empire | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Klink

Member # 78

posted July 29, 2002 02:44      Profile for Colonel Klink   Author's Homepage   Email Colonel Klink   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're wrong Paul (because it was 2:11 am). American TVs are NTSC only compliant, so are US VCRs and so are US Videotapes. But I guess that since DVD is a digital device that it's not saved in NTSC or PAL format but in some computer format, then some DSP decodes it into either a PAL signal on our rest-of-the world player or into a NTSC signal for your sweet US DVD players.

Some people in France buy zone 1 DVDs (US, Canada, mexico) because they can either have them ahead of time compared to the french version or because it's cheaper (cuz there are less bonuses/languages). Even people who don't get the slightest word of english, they just watch the canadian version (oh my god Quebec accent !!! how dare they? )

The funny thing is that friends DVD (seasons 1 through 7) have been out here for a while and they just released season 1 in the USA.
Probably cuz Fox was playing reruns or something.

--------------------
Industrial Revolution has flipped a bitch on Evolution.

Posts: 665 | From: Stalag 13 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted July 29, 2002 12:25      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heh ah okay. Makes sense, I wasnt sure. I guess thats why they attempt to keep the regions seperate, but some devilish people keep getting all-region players

Well you ALL need to go buy the KUNG POW!: Enter the Fist DVD, as it is the greatest, funniest, bestest movie ever made and it will make you laugh, a lot.

Mmmmmmm YES!

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

Posts: 1564 | From: Galactic Empire | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zesty

Member # 36

Member Rated:

posted July 29, 2002 19:17      Profile for Zesty   Email Zesty   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I rented The One on DVD and watched it today. It is also a really awesome action movie with Kung Fu fighting! And Jet Li was awesome in it. He fights himself in the movie, so the behind-the-scenes extras were interesting too. Get it!

--------------------
You're not fully evil, until you're zestyfully evil!
MWA HA HA HA HA!

Posts: 206 | From: Inside my Mind | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrugBust

Member # 154

Member Rated:

posted August 07, 2002 17:34      Profile for DrugBust   Email DrugBust   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I bought these DVD's recently...

Life as a House
Lord of the Rings
Donnie Darko

If you havent seen Donnie Darko, drop whatever useless shit you're doing now and go get it. Watch it. Watch it 3 more times afterwords. Then watch it with Director's Commentary. This will no doubt be the most fulfilling 8 hours of your life.

Trust me on this. Donnie Darko = Best film ever.

--------------------
you show the world things and in showing the world you teach it what you want.

Mike

Member # 14

Member Rated:

posted August 07, 2002 21:02      Profile for Mike   Email Mike   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NSA:

Well you ALL need to go buy the KUNG POW!: Enter the Fist DVD, as it is the greatest, funniest, bestest movie ever made and it will make you laugh, a lot.

Mmmmmmm YES!

no.

Zesty

Member # 36

Member Rated:

posted August 08, 2002 19:14      Profile for Zesty   Email Zesty   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought it looked retarded too, so I don't really feel like seeing it. Meh.

--------------------
You're not fully evil, until you're zestyfully evil!
MWA HA HA HA HA!

Posts: 206 | From: Inside my Mind | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
LayingTiredOnSunbeamsSide

Member # 134

Member Rated:

posted August 08, 2002 23:59      Profile for LayingTiredOnSunbeamsSide   Email LayingTiredOnSunbeamsSide   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
another vote for donnie darko. although i havent seen the dvd extras yet, the movie was top notch.

--------------------
so tired of messing everything up
so tired of leaving friends behind
so tired of landing on the sidewalk
-the lemon brigade

Posts: 65 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted August 09, 2002 07:43      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good DVD's to check out:

T2 - Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Moulin Rouge
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
A Bug's Life
Toy Story 1 and Toy Story 2 (pick up the Ultimate Toy Box if you can)
The Matrix
The Fifth Element
Romeo and Juliet (Baz Luhrmann version)
Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius
Black Hawk Down
Saving Private Ryan
Jurassic Park
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

...now keep in mind, these are just great DVD's...some of the actual movies are subject to personal taste...I happen to like all the movies, but that's just me...I'm basing my recommendations on DVD content, DVD video quility and DVD audio quality...if at all possible, view these with a good size TV and a decent surround sound system...you'll know why I recommended them when you do...

...as for good movies, well here's a totally separate list (most of these are fairly recent):

Waking Life
Ghost World
Moulin Rouge
Pi
Requiem For A Dream
Serendipity (so it's a chick flick...fuck off )
High Fidelity
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

...anyway...enough for now.

--------------------
Have you ever felt like you've been cheated?

Posts: 520 | From: Sweet Home Sacramento! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
the placebo

Member # 20

Member Rated:

posted August 10, 2002 09:59      Profile for the placebo   Email the placebo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
DVDs to get:

pi
moulin rouge
blazing saddles
requiem for a dream
lord of the rings: fellowship of the ring
porky's/porky's 2 double DVD - I love those movies
reservoir dogs
ghost world
clerks
mallrats
dogma
chasing amy
night of the living dead
the godfather collection
dog day afternoon
scarface
nosferatu: the first vampire
american beauty

--------------------
"now it is time for you to drink the melted silver teapot! enjoy a molten beverage that will coat your insides with a shiny smooth finish! then you will eat the table because i keep my promises!"

Posts: 205 | From: nashville, tn | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
nose over tail

Member # 57

Member Rated:

posted September 09, 2002 15:14      Profile for nose over tail   Email nose over tail   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i try my best not to bring back old topics, but i have to with this one. and i don't think anyone has said it, so may i suggest buying the royal tenenbaums? it's amazing.
Posts: 304 | From: evansville | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Daniel

Member # 54

Member Rated:

posted September 10, 2002 13:40      Profile for Daniel   Email Daniel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm too lazy to read this thread again to see if anyone has mentioned the Pulp Fiction special edition 2-disc set. Great stuff. Get Menace II Society too.

--------------------
"Hats off to the nun with the man hands."

i was/am WashinMyGoat.

Posts: 386 | From: Evansville, In, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
That Kid Jay

Member # 50

Member Rated:

posted September 10, 2002 17:42      Profile for That Kid Jay   Email That Kid Jay   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to get really weird independent or ones with twists. What I still want to get...

Amelie
Big Lebowski
Donnie Darko
Fargo
Groundhog Day
L.A. Confidential
Magnolia
Man Who Wasn't There, The
Resevoir Dogs
Run Lola Run
Sixth Sense, The

Posts: 164 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Belong to Us!  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | nethijinx, ltd.

(c) 2000 + 19 nethijinx, ltd.