my profile / private messages | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Bored   » The Bored™   » Everything™ and then Some   » use your brain ! hey ? what brain ?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: use your brain ! hey ? what brain ?
Colonel Klink

Member # 78

posted July 11, 2002 11:31      Profile for Colonel Klink   Author's Homepage   Email Colonel Klink   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
try this little test and tell me if it's the same for you english-speaking fellas.

Without cheating, in 10 sec max count how many F's there are in the little text below :

quote:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE-
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIF-
IC STUDY COMBINED WITH THE
EXPERIENCE OF YEARS
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Done ?

So, how many F's did you find ?

3 I guess.

There were 6 F's actually.

he fact is that our brain doesn't take the "OF"s into account.
Unbelievable, isn't it ?

If you got 6 F's you're a genius (but don't say that to your teachers )
Getting 4 or 5 is rare.
Common people get 3 F's

Now who's got a brain, huh ?

--------------------
Industrial Revolution has flipped a bitch on Evolution.

Posts: 665 | From: Stalag 13 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clobber

Member # 38

Member Rated:

posted July 11, 2002 13:28      Profile for Clobber     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i am just mediocre...i found three the first time...and then the second time i found five...

if i go really slow i find 6..
wowowoowowow..

--------------------
Sink it

Posts: 316 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geektanic

Member # 45

Member Rated:

posted July 11, 2002 13:35      Profile for Geektanic   Author's Homepage   Email Geektanic   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ahh thats crazy!

I've noticed when people read out loud they leave out words like of, and, if etc etc...

they must just think its implied.

--------------------
Do the stars conspire to pin us down like butterflies? - Jets to Brazil

Posts: 176 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
tiddlywynk

Member # 22

posted July 11, 2002 16:27      Profile for tiddlywynk   Author's Homepage   Email tiddlywynk   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*dances*
i got 6.

--------------------
.See.me.Feel.me.Touch.me.Heal.me.

Posts: 409 | From: Paper Street | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
breedge

Member # 128

Member Rated:

posted July 11, 2002 16:32      Profile for breedge   Email breedge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i remember that i'd done this before 3 letters into the first word.

consequently, i got 6. suckahhs.

--------------------
oh please, if i wanted to hear mindless droning i'd befriend an airconditioner.

emma discovery

Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted July 11, 2002 20:23      Profile for emma discovery   Email emma discovery   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I got 5. They should just spell it ov, would make life much easier.

--------------------
As for me, if I had fifty-three minutes to
spend as I liked, I should walk at my leisure toward a spring of fresh water

Posts: 45 | From: santa monica | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Klink

Member # 78

posted July 12, 2002 10:19      Profile for Colonel Klink   Author's Homepage   Email Colonel Klink   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually don't brag about it, if you got 6 Fs doen't mean you're that good. It only means you don't read fast. The principle of fast reading lays in the technique of setting "anchor dots" every 4 big words and skip little words like "the", "a", "of"...

Basically, if you got 6 F's you can call yourself Rainman

--------------------

tiddlywynk

Member # 22

posted July 12, 2002 16:22      Profile for tiddlywynk   Author's Homepage   Email tiddlywynk   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
well why in hell would you read it fast if you know you're looking for letters?

--------------------
.See.me.Feel.me.Touch.me.Heal.me.

Posts: 409 | From: Paper Street | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
the placebo

Member # 20

Member Rated:

posted July 12, 2002 16:38      Profile for the placebo   Email the placebo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
emma discovery:
I got 5. They should just spell it ov, would make life much easier.

I think that is the basis of this little 'test.' I'd seen this before as well, and what I read said that the other 3 F's are commonly missed because when you read you sound the words out to yourself in your mind and you subsconsciously turn the F of the 'of' into a V (because it is pronounced that way). pretty odd.

--------------------
"now it is time for you to drink the melted silver teapot! enjoy a molten beverage that will coat your insides with a shiny smooth finish! then you will eat the table because i keep my promises!"

Posts: 205 | From: nashville, tn | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Klink

Member # 78

posted July 12, 2002 17:20      Profile for Colonel Klink   Author's Homepage   Email Colonel Klink   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tiddlywynk:
well why in hell would you read it fast if you know you're looking for letters?

Cuz you're supposed to do that in 10 sec max. You get a 100% no error if you try letter after letter of course. That would be stupid.
You can submit this to a your computer notepad or word and make "search" and enter "F" if you want, you'll get all 6 in that case

--------------------

Ewan

Member # 111

Member Rated:

posted July 17, 2002 06:41      Profile for Ewan   Author's Homepage   Email Ewan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You must often have thought English spelling is unnecesarily difficult. Just look at
words like Cough, Plough, Rough, Through and Thorough. The writer Bernard Shaw
wanted us to change our alphabet, and someone worked out a way of doing it.
In the first year, for example, we would suggest using “s” instead of soft “c”.
Sertainly all students in all sities of the land would reseive this news with joy. Then the
hard “c” would be replased by “k” sinse both letters are pronounsed alike. Not only
would this klear up the konfusion in the minds of spellers, but keyboards kould all be
built with one less letter.
There would be great exsitement when it was at last announsed that the troublesome
“ph” would henseforth be written “f”. This would make words like Fotograf twenty
per sent shorter in print.
In the third year, publik interest in a new alfabet kan be expekted to have reatshed a
point where more komplikated tshanges are nesessary. We would suggest removing
double leters whitsh have always ben a nuisanse and a deterent to akurate spelling.
We would al agre that the horible mes of silent “e’s” in our language is disgraseful.
Therfor, we kould drop thes and kontinu to read and writ merily along as though we
wer in an atomik ag of edukation. Sins by this tim it would be four years sins anywun
had used the letter “c”, we would then suggest substituting “c” for “th.”
Kontinuing cis proses year after year, we would eventuali hav a reali sensibl writen
languag. After twenti years wi ventyur tu sa cerwud bi no mor uv ces teribl trublsum
difikultis. Even Mr. Yaw wi beliv wud be hapi in ce noleg cat his drims finali kam tru.

- From The Reader’s Digest Junior Treasury 1960

Bizarrely, having just got this from it, it then fell open on a page where, sandwiched
between “The Secret Life Of The Salmon” and “Rolf, The Dog Who Finds Things” lay
the very same test on it that David first posted. Which I thought was a bit weird.

--------------------
Having fun or dying young?
It's hard to tell.

Posts: 316 | From: Bristol, England | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted July 19, 2002 08:11      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rolf is really the dog that plays the piano on the muppet show.

--------------------
Have you ever felt like you've been cheated?

Posts: 520 | From: Sweet Home Sacramento! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sickb0y

Member # 42

posted July 25, 2002 06:41      Profile for sickb0y        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
that readers digest thing is probably brought about from the fact that they wanted to make german the univeral language for europe. maybe.

but i got 5. i missed the last OF.

All times are Belong to Us!  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | nethijinx, ltd.

(c) 2000 + 19 nethijinx, ltd.