my profile / private messages | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Bored   » The Bored™   » Everything™ and then Some   » official* FIFA World Cup thread (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: official* FIFA World Cup thread
the placebo

Member # 20

Member Rated:

posted May 31, 2002 06:38      Profile for the placebo   Email the placebo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
let's make this official...

christ man, Senegal 1, France 0? who the FUCK was Senegal playing against because it definitely wasn't France, the defending world champions. I mean jesus, I knew Zidane was France's playmaker but his absence shouldn't have left them out for a fucking loss to a team that had never been in the World Cup before. I lost $12 total on that game, my friend lost $50 and my other friend lost $100. France is going to have to step up now if they want to advance or get first in their group. obviously Zidane isn't going to sit out another match.

I was actually a little impressed with Senegal; they played some hard-nose defense and their keeper came up big against some good shots from Thierry Henry and Trezeguet. too bad there are no more matches today.

--------------------
"now it is time for you to drink the melted silver teapot! enjoy a molten beverage that will coat your insides with a shiny smooth finish! then you will eat the table because i keep my promises!"

Posts: 205 | From: nashville, tn | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
the placebo

Member # 20

Member Rated:

posted June 01, 2002 11:44      Profile for the placebo   Email the placebo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Denmark 2, Uruguay 1
Cameroon 1, Ireland 1
Germany 8, Saudi Arabia 0

looks like everything else is going fairly normal after the France upset. although I can't believe Germany scored 8 goals on Saudi Arabia. I thought the score would be more like 3-0 or 4-0. craziness. tomorrow's Argentina/Nigeria matchup is going to be a thriller. it's a rematch of the 1996 Olympic gold medal match in Athens, GA (which I attend, yay)...should be a very good match.

--------------------
"now it is time for you to drink the melted silver teapot! enjoy a molten beverage that will coat your insides with a shiny smooth finish! then you will eat the table because i keep my promises!"

Colonel Klink

Member # 78

posted June 01, 2002 19:07      Profile for Colonel Klink   Author's Homepage   Email Colonel Klink   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the placebo:
obviously Zidane isn't going to sit out another match.

I think he is. I've heard tonight (06/01) that he won't play on 06/06 (against Uruguay I think).
Now the best for his own personal career is not to play and hope France lost another match, so everybody would associate France's superiority to Zidane...

--------------------
Industrial Revolution has flipped a bitch on Evolution.

Posts: 665 | From: Stalag 13 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
El Guapo Vandal

Member # 9

Member Rated:

posted June 02, 2002 00:13      Profile for El Guapo Vandal   Email El Guapo Vandal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i can believe what germany did. i watched the match (twice now, actually), and the saudis were piss poor. not only, but germany couldve put a few more tallys up on the board.

ballack is a good future star, as well as klose.

deutschland deutschland uber alles!

i dont really support them or anything, but its good to see that theyre getting back into thier form of the past.

also, the denmark v uruguay game was very entertaining, and all the goals were class.

i am looking forward to the england/sweden match tonight, and am watching it live on univison (spanish) rather than wait for espn to broadcast it, tape delay, tomorrow afternoon (cause ill probably have the result spoiled)

its shaping up to be a good cup.

--------------------
i hate you.

Posts: 232 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
the placebo

Member # 20

Member Rated:

posted June 02, 2002 09:46      Profile for the placebo   Email the placebo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yes it is shaping up to be a good Cup. yeah, Colonel Klink, when I posted that I hadn't read about Zidane. I'm very surprised he's sitting out because the way that group is, their next 2 matches are nothing less than vital to their hopes of advancing. I thought maybe even if he doesn't start, he can come in at halftime or around the 60th minute as a sub, but apparently not.

in that Germany match, the Saudis looked like preschoolers compared to the Germans. Ballack is a really good player who sometimes goes unsung, but he is really hard-nose and gets the job done (much like the rest of the German squad). have you ever seen him in club play? he is incredible.

the Argentina/Nigeria match (1:0) was alright, I hoped Batistuta would get a goal.

and England/Sweden (1:1)...that was odd. England still hasn't beaten Sweden in like 35 years now.

I think Croatia vs. Mexico will be a very good one, and Brazil vs. Turkey will be entertaining (except for the fact that Emerson is out for the entire tournament).

--------------------

El Guapo Vandal

Member # 9

Member Rated:

posted June 02, 2002 23:42      Profile for El Guapo Vandal   Email El Guapo Vandal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i hate the argies.

england was pathetic, owen was crap, vassel showed well (hope fowler plays next game)

where was dyer? beckham? they did nothing.

i hate the turks too. theyre filthy filthy bastards (im not racist, just a leeds fan, know football? youll know why i hate turks then)

i also hope croatia wins. the mexicans (players and fans) are far too arrogant.

and yes, ballacks club play is good, its just a shame hes going to bayern munchen. leverkusen isnt half as evil...

--------------------
i hate you.

the placebo

Member # 20

Member Rated:

posted June 03, 2002 08:56      Profile for the placebo   Email the placebo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ahh...Argentina vs. England. it's such a great rivalry. both sides are high quality though, you must admit. as for England against Sweden...Owen did nothing. the ball didnt' even get to the forwards much at all. it stayed in midfield and they kept playing pointless long balls that went nowhere. Scholes definitely didn't impress me. Ashley Cole did. I thought Beckham played well. he had the beautiful corner for the Sol Campbell goal, and he made a lot of very nice passes and crosses into the penalty area. but it's hard for an outside midfielder to be the playmaker. I was also wondering where Fowler was...he is an incredible goalscorer.

I know what you mean about the Turks...Galatassary right? I'm a Leeds fan as well. they played Brazil hard though, forcing them to come from behind in the 2nd half with goals from Ronaldo and Rivaldo. have you seen some of the stuff Ronaldo has been saying about himself? people are comparing it to "Muhammad Ali at his mouthiest." it's pretty funny if you happen to read it.

I wanted Croatia to win as well, but that idiotic foul in the box stopped that. Blanco impressed me in that game.

there aren't any games I really want to see that bad today (tomorrow morning)...I'll probably watch China/Costa Rica. but tomorrow early morning, it's Germany vs. Ireland. that game should be great.

--------------------

Colonel Klink

Member # 78

posted June 03, 2002 10:48      Profile for Colonel Klink   Author's Homepage   Email Colonel Klink   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by El Guapo Vandal:
where was dyer? beckham? they did nothing.

Beckham is overrated. Owen is way better !
Here's a nice flash world cup board (I guess you could find another one in english on yahoo too...

--------------------

the placebo

Member # 20

Member Rated:

posted June 03, 2002 12:33      Profile for the placebo   Email the placebo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
are you kidding? have you seen Beckham's hair? that's more than enough to propel him into world superstardom.

--------------------

El Guapo Vandal

Member # 9

Member Rated:

posted June 03, 2002 16:25      Profile for El Guapo Vandal   Email El Guapo Vandal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
the best message board for soccer on the internet is bigsoccer.com

i post there all the time, and i mean all the time. its very extensive. go check it out. its UBB too. nice.

--------------------
i hate you.

the placebo

Member # 20

Member Rated:

posted June 05, 2002 05:25      Profile for the placebo   Email the placebo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have an interesting score to show...

USA 3, Portugal 2

what an incredible game. United States goes up 1 in the 4th minute...and had a 3-0 lead at one point in the first half. too bad they let Portugal get 2 on them...that own goal by Jeff Agoos was absolutely horrible, totally disgusting. they also did it without Claudio Reyna or Clint Mathis...I wonder if Arena will think about that lineup that scored 3 goals on Portugal in the first half, since the next 2 teams they play will be significantly less skilled.

--------------------

Colonel Klink

Member # 78

posted June 05, 2002 09:02      Profile for Colonel Klink   Author's Homepage   Email Colonel Klink   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
who the fuck is Claudio Reyna ????

--------------------

the placebo

Member # 20

Member Rated:

posted June 05, 2002 10:43      Profile for the placebo   Email the placebo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
that shows the genereal consensus of people about the US team...

Claudio Reyna is the United States' captain. he plays in midfield and is a vital part to the team. he's mainly a big playmaker and helps create scoring chances. I think Mastroeni took his place against Portugal. he's actually fairly known outside of the United States, seeing as he plays for Sunderland in the English Premier League, and I think he is the captain of that squad as well.

I thought the United States' lineup was fine. obviously it worked, they scored 3 goals on Portugal in the first half. if I was going to change any of it, I'd put Reyna back in the midfield for Mastroeni, but the rest is great. Donovan did well; I think he should get another start against Korea. Hejduk also played well against Figo and I doubt Bruce Arena is going to put David Regis back in there for Hejduk.

--------------------

the placebo

Member # 20

Member Rated:

posted June 05, 2002 22:56      Profile for the placebo   Email the placebo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
what does anyone think about Rivaldo getting fined for his theatrics during the game against Turkey? personally, I think a fine is ridiculous. a big deal is being made because he's such a superstar. I think the referee should have given him a yellow card for unsportsmanlike conduct as well as the Turkish player, and that be the end of it. I read of people recommending multiple match bans...that is absolutely absurd. right...

--------------------

the placebo

Member # 20

Member Rated:

posted June 07, 2002 06:37      Profile for the placebo   Email the placebo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
fine World Cup this is shaping up to be...

Thierry Henry with the red card against Uruguay (which I think was a bit harsh), Petit with his second yellow of the tournament, and Zidane still questionable...France may be packing their bags to head home if they can't produce a convincing win over Denmark. Senegal will likely win the group...amazing.

and now that Argentina has lost to England 1-0, they have to beat Sweden to advance if England beats Nigeria, which is extremely likely.

USA with the win over Portugal...if they can pull it off against Korea and Poland (which I definitely think they can) then they can win out their group and maybe even advance to the quarterfinals.

so now probably the top 2 teams to win the tournament are very questionable to even make the round of 16, and the United States hopefully getting ready for a long stay in Korea...I love it.

--------------------

Colonel Klink

Member # 78

posted June 07, 2002 10:19      Profile for Colonel Klink   Author's Homepage   Email Colonel Klink   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah the French Team sucks, (Henry's deed wasn't really on purpose but what he did was really violent, so I think he deserved a red -or at least yellow- card. But some uruguay's player did the same some time later but didn't get a red card.

I think it's over for France now. They have to beat Denmark with at least a 2 goal difference, whereas Denmark just needs a draw (say a boring 0-0 with a all defensive play) to get qualified. And since this group will have to face Argentina/sweden/england/Nigeria group (the strongest group to me) it might be a good idea to be second cuz the first in this group might not be Argentina but Sweden

--------------------

the placebo

Member # 20

Member Rated:

posted June 07, 2002 10:29      Profile for the placebo   Email the placebo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think France can pull it off against Denmark if Zidane plays well and Trezeguet actually does something this match besides take up space on the field. but you're right about the other group ("Group of Death"), although I'm starting to think that Argentina won't advance. if England gets a point (draw or win), they move on. the same goes with Sweden. so if Sweden plays to that 0-0 draw like you said, and England draws or beats Nigeria (I think they will win, personally), France goes home. the defending champion has never been put out in the first round...are we seeing history?

--------------------

El Guapo Vandal

Member # 9

Member Rated:

posted June 07, 2002 14:52      Profile for El Guapo Vandal   Email El Guapo Vandal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i was hoping that uruguay would shut out france, which they did, however, i was ALSO hoping they would score at least one goal in the process... it would be hellarious to have seen france go three and out, with 0 GF...

--------------------
i hate you.

Colonel Klink

Member # 78

posted June 07, 2002 16:33      Profile for Colonel Klink   Author's Homepage   Email Colonel Klink   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
the defending champion has never been put out in the first round...are we seeing history?

Yes it has... Brazil 1962 for instance.

And Uruguay played so defensively a lotta people here bitch about them being not "fair play". Actually if they think Senegal is easier than France then it was the good choice to try to get a draw. But then again, 11 against 10 and they didn't take advantage of the fact of outnumbering France.
Also, Fabien Barthes, the goal (also for Manchester United) played very well and stopped very nice shots. I think they played quite well and with courage. That will be the only thing to remember of in this cup...

--------------------

the placebo

Member # 20

Member Rated:

posted June 07, 2002 22:48      Profile for the placebo   Email the placebo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
really? I thought that the defending champ had never been put out. maybe it was the host nation has never been put out in the first round...

anyway, yeah I was hoping Uruguay could beat France as well. I got upset with France...they seem to have no leadership or flow without Zidane. and yes, Barthez did come up with 3 BIG foot saves that kept them in the game. that Recoba guy on Uruguay is a cheeky motherfucker. I'm awaiting the thrashing of China by Brazil at 6:30am...that might be ugly. also, have you heard the new "three-pronged attack" that Trapattoni is adopting for Italy's game against Croatia in the morning? I am going to have to get up and watch that game...Vieri, Totti, and Inzaghi (if he plays) up top together. could be devastating. anyway...here's something I liked.

--------------------

Colonel Klink

Member # 78

posted June 08, 2002 15:27      Profile for Colonel Klink   Author's Homepage   Email Colonel Klink   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I got upset with France...they seem to have no leadership or flow without Zidane.

SO did I, they're all resting on their laurels and are more interested in the cash they can make off the commercials than in the game itself.

quote:

also, have you heard the new "three-pronged attack" that Trapattoni is adopting for Italy's game against Croatia in the morning? I am going to have to get up and watch that game...Vieri, Totti, and Inzaghi (if he plays) up top together. could be devastating.

Yet, they lost... New experiments don't necessarily work...

The problem with champions like Italy, France, Brazil, Argentina or Germany is that people expect a lot of them and that overwhelms their coaches with a lot of pressure. A team that's nothing to lose would make better surprise effects.

[ June 08, 2002: Message edited by: Colonel Klink ]

--------------------

El Guapo Vandal

Member # 9

Member Rated:

posted June 08, 2002 18:17      Profile for El Guapo Vandal   Email El Guapo Vandal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
or the arrogance of those teams. like portugal, who seemed SHOCKED (well, ok, i was too) that america came out and played the way they did. they aced like they expected to walk all over the yanks, that they wouldnt be so fast, so skilled, ect.

also, italy didnt use taht three pronged attack last night.

nice 2nd goal by the croats though...

--------------------
i hate you.

the placebo

Member # 20

Member Rated:

posted June 08, 2002 22:51      Profile for the placebo   Email the placebo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yeah I didn't watch the Italy game...I woke up to watch Brazil play around with China. I wonder if Italy would have done better had Inzaghi started and they implemented that three pronged attack. I'm surprised they disallowed 2 Italian goals though; that seems a little shady to me. Maybe the 2nd goal they have reason to possibly disallow it, but the one that Vieri scored...there was no way he was offside. Italy deserved at least a draw. but yes, Croatia played well.

USA are now favored to win their group, with South Korea the 2nd favorite team. yay.

--------------------

the placebo

Member # 20

Member Rated:

posted June 11, 2002 01:34      Profile for the placebo   Email the placebo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Denmark 2, France 0

what an unlucky World Cup for France. granted, they didn't play anything like the France of '98, or even the France team that won Euro 2000, but jesus h. christ, could they have been robbed any more by the posts? I liked the replay of Trezeguet's last shot that hit the crossbar and bounced straight down...he just started laughing and did a little arm motion like "did you see that? this is ridiculous" I can't believe France scored a total of 0 goals in 3 games, even without Zidane. speaking of Zizou...what a beautiful shot he had in the first half, that curling and dipping shot that beat Denmark's keeper but went wide. that was incredible. he also had about 20 brilliant passes, most of them in the first half. I hate to see a team with so much quality go home after the first round. I think out of all 3 of their games, I was most impressed with Desailly. he is a workhorse who doesn't back down from anyone. he definitely deserves to be captain. anyway...damn.

I hope USA can pull off a convincing win over Poland so they can win the group. I have no doubt they will at least draw and advance.

p.s... and what about Uruguay coming back from a 3-0 deficit in the first half to draw Senegal 3-3? that's pretty damn impressive, but all in vain. Senegal still advances as 2nd place. how quaint.

--------------------

El Guapo Vandal

Member # 9

Member Rated:

posted June 11, 2002 08:35      Profile for El Guapo Vandal   Email El Guapo Vandal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
alez bleus!

im glad to see the french flame out, winless and goal less

in the meantime, all the US needs is a win or draw to advance, and could still advance even with a loss, although that would depend on the SK/Portgual match.

heres also for hoping that sweden and england make it out tonight... nigeria are already eliminated and i fucking hate the god damn argies....

--------------------
i hate you.

Colonel Klink

Member # 78

posted June 11, 2002 10:32      Profile for Colonel Klink   Author's Homepage   Email Colonel Klink   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by El Guapo Vandal:
alez bleus!

im glad to see the french flame out, winless and goal less

well, it's "allez les bleus!"

And so am I. I'm fucking tired of french arrogancy here. They had a good lucky time back in 1998 and 2000 for the World cup, the Euro Cup and the Confederation Cup but they go back to normal which is either not qualified or eliminated after the first turn.
They lacked passion. That's what happened with overpaid people.
It was ridiculous how people still believed they could make it. I frequently get commercial calls by Lizarazou on my cell phone. Come on dude, stop being a hooker and try to do your real job. Play soccer ! Everything is perverted by money and soccer here. It sucks ass. What we need is talented passionate teams to win the world cup. Why not the US team, or Sweden.

--------------------

El Guapo Vandal

Member # 9

Member Rated:

posted June 11, 2002 11:34      Profile for El Guapo Vandal   Email El Guapo Vandal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
cause the US sucks.

i mean, the coach keeps playing jeff "planet of the apes" agoos, who is soley responsible for each goal against the US so far, AND a penalty which was fortunatley saved

and the media isnt critical at ALL about the team. even the media outlets that do actually care about soccer only publish up beat stuff, id rather have the english type media, where they question each coaching move, each strategy, and so forth...

id kinda like to see ireland go somewhere... robbie keane is the man.

--------------------
i hate you.

the placebo

Member # 20

Member Rated:

posted June 17, 2002 02:27      Profile for the placebo   Email the placebo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
uh yeah...

USA 2, Mexico 0

we are in the fucking quarterfinals! we played how we needed to play, scoring 2 goals off counterattacks. great shot by McBride and a good finish by Donovan to a nice cross puts USA against Germany, which will be their toughest match by far. Friedel has blocked 2 PKs in regulation so far, and has stopped some great shots by USA's opposition. I am so damn happy for us. Blanco and the rest of those whiners can go back home. fuck yeah! I'm still waiting to see England vs. Brazil (if Brazil wins of course...).

--------------------

Colonel Klink

Member # 78

posted June 17, 2002 14:01      Profile for Colonel Klink   Author's Homepage   Email Colonel Klink   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I think England vs. Brazil will be a nice match to see too. More interesting than Japan vs. turkey.

--------------------

***norm

Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted June 18, 2002 12:37      Profile for ***norm   Email ***norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Holy SHIT! Now Italy goes down...
What the hell. Now only it the US beats Germany and Brazil gets bounced it would be insane. Useless "futbol" nations of the world unite or something...

--------------------
•Taking money from religious people is like beating retards at checkers.
• Alcoholics Anonymous is to Jesus Freaks what still water is to mosquitos
•* I understand war for some reasons. Land, money, a girl, that can be understood. Now war over god, that's a whole different issue. There is no way I can justify a war over who has a better invisible friend.

Posts: 238 | From: Norm's Ghetto House | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
El Guapo Vandal

Member # 9

Member Rated:

posted June 18, 2002 14:17      Profile for El Guapo Vandal   Email El Guapo Vandal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
and to think i heard people saying that mcbride shouldnt start in favor of mathis... what a crock.

i just hope that turkey loses, i fucking hate turkey. im pissed japan couldnt pull it off.

england brasil should be great.

and im not really feeling too confident about germany. theyre bigger than mexico, and play better in the air. thank god agoos is out or they wouldve toasted him. still, they may make mcbride totally ineffective (see poland)

well see...

--------------------
i hate you.

Colonel Klink

Member # 78

posted June 18, 2002 15:16      Profile for Colonel Klink   Author's Homepage   Email Colonel Klink   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Almost all favorites are gone now. Which also coincidates with the teams with the best paid players in the world.

It's a good lesson (and Brazil taught that lesson back in the 50s), money and all that fuss around soccer is nothing compared to passion that some players can be inspired with.

Go Korea... err... go Lichtenstein

--------------------

the placebo

Member # 20

Member Rated:

posted June 18, 2002 17:41      Profile for the placebo   Email the placebo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I say USA 2, Germany 1.

Brazil/England will be a toss-up. they are both badass. I think the winner of that game will win the Cup. Brazil has the obvious edge offensively with Ronaldo and Rivaldo working so well together, and with Ronaldinho helping out. I think England is more well-rounded. maybe Owen will have a breakout game and thrash the Brazilian defenders. I'd like to see England take it, but it will be an exciting game either way. I'd say Ronaldo and Beckham have a great chance of one of them being the new Footballer of the Year.

--------------------

El Guapo Vandal

Member # 9

Member Rated:

posted June 18, 2002 20:04      Profile for El Guapo Vandal   Email El Guapo Vandal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
id like to see fowler get the start against brasil...

--------------------
i hate you.

sickb0y

Member # 42

posted June 18, 2002 21:47      Profile for sickb0y        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's all about Senegal baby. I think they have to play spain (?) next. Hopefully they'll give them quite a run for their money. Diouf (sp?) was such a great playmaker in the last match... awesome...

but, because australia never made it.. go USA!!

All times are Belong to Us!
This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | nethijinx, ltd.

(c) 2000 + 19 nethijinx, ltd.