my profile / private messages | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Bored   » The Bored™   » Everything™ and then Some   » So... I got a new car...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So... I got a new car...
El Guapo Vandal

Member # 9

Member Rated:

posted May 12, 2002 22:49      Profile for El Guapo Vandal   Email El Guapo Vandal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It wasnt the 300zxTT that i had hoped for, it just wasnt affordable.

instead, i got a GTI VR6 (thats a VW for those who dont know)

its a fantastic car. matchstick red, black leather interior, and a hell of a lot of power on demand through the 5 speed transmission.

not only is it quick, but it handles the road really well too. in fact, even in the rain it handles like a dream.

fun car. im happy

--------------------
i hate you.

Posts: 232 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
WeakerthanNat

Member # 12

Member Rated:

posted May 13, 2002 05:59      Profile for WeakerthanNat   Email WeakerthanNat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i have a volvo. i love my car. its 20 years old and it makes a fair bit of noise. it is apparently "the stack hat of cars". i wouldnt trade my car for anything-i love that car like a brother.
Posts: 69 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted May 13, 2002 07:51      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Have you heard of the "new" Euro-trend going on with the GTI VR6?...I guess a lot of "enthusiasts" are taking the car and ditching the rear seats and gutting the trunk to make room for another VR6 engine thereby turning it into a "12 cylinder" 4WD...I don't know the exact procedure or what is entailed of the modifications...sounds expensive but promising...

--------------------
Have you ever felt like you've been cheated?

Posts: 520 | From: Sweet Home Sacramento! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
El Guapo Vandal

Member # 9

Member Rated:

posted May 13, 2002 11:02      Profile for El Guapo Vandal   Email El Guapo Vandal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i think just the virtue of owning a GTI is a euro trend. theyre pretty unamerican.

but a lot of GTI owners do stuff like at the euro-spec bumpers, or headlights, or whatever onto thier cars.

ive heard nothing of this dual VR6 thing though. i cant imagine how it would be possible, and im almost positive that two engines arent an option in europe

granted, in europe you can get a 4WD VR6 that is FASTER than the one avaliable in the states.

--------------------
i hate you.

PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted May 13, 2002 11:54      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I belive that I read about the two engine GTI in a Sport Compact Car article...

Europe gets all the cool cars...Impreza 22B STi...Nissan Skyline...even the damn Honda Type R's, not to mention the new Peugeot RC concepts...and they have better gas...especially than here in Cali...what the fuck is with the 91 octane "super" unleaded shit when everyone else seems to get at least 93 octane...fuckers.

And the US is supposed to be considered an "enthusiasts" market...

--------------------

PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted May 13, 2002 12:10      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ADDENDUM:

It wasn't a GTI but a Golf...aren't they essentially the same platform other than the 2 v. 4 doors?...anyway, here's a link with more info: http://www.dubsport.com/

--------------------

El Guapo Vandal

Member # 9

Member Rated:

posted May 13, 2002 18:29      Profile for El Guapo Vandal   Email El Guapo Vandal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yeah. they DO get better cars. and all THIER cars have better specs. you never hear of a better am-spec car now, do you?

and, oh yeah, nissan skyline... *drool* (actually, its not QUITE the perfect car, if they got rid of those circular tail lights, itd be awesome)

--------------------
i hate you.

El Guapo Vandal

Member # 9

Member Rated:

posted May 13, 2002 18:30      Profile for El Guapo Vandal   Email El Guapo Vandal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
oh, regarding the GTI/Golf difference. Im not sure. I do know that my car has two badges on the back "GTI" and "VR6", wheras in europe, it would be "Golf" "GTI", i think...

--------------------
i hate you.

Jenny

Member # 31

Member Rated:

posted May 14, 2002 12:06      Profile for Jenny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yep that's right. my mum has one. not a GTI though.

--------------------
Moi aussi un jour je serai beau comme un dieu

Posts: 198 | From: Nr Manchester/Leeds UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Klink

Member # 78

posted May 14, 2002 23:10      Profile for Colonel Klink   Author's Homepage   Email Colonel Klink   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well dude, I think you need some more explanations. GTI isn't a make of a car. Not a brand either. It's just a standard, as if you said "my computer is a 1.4 GHz, but I wonder if it's better than a compaq pressario".

This GTI is an extent of "GT" and "GTL" which means "Grand Tourisme" and "Grand Tourisme Loisir" (yup just like "grand turismo"). I don't remember what the "I" stands for but a GTI usually means bigger injection power so better performance (as far as speed and acceleration are concerned but not for gas consumption).

Then Golf is a line series for Volkswagen; the VR6 is one type just like the GTI is. The VR6 is one of the fastest ones if not the fastest. We hardly have any V8 in Europe so a V6 is very powerful there. I've seen some crazy dudes drive them. I've also seen a lot of them offroad and crashed, which means that its power should be matched with its traction.

For compact cars I own what's been elected best current car for stability and security which is a Peugeot 206. I like it a lot cuz mine's a HDI (common rail injection technology) so it means "diesel" so cheaper gas(in France) and less consumption (especially on big trips) but it also have a 90 Horsepower which makes it as smooth and fast as a regular gasoline car.

But yeah vandal, VR6 is a really impressive car, really cool to pick the chicks too . But here, it's also a frequently stolen car (and also a car for young drug dealers along with BMW's)

--------------------
Industrial Revolution has flipped a bitch on Evolution.

Posts: 665 | From: Stalag 13 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
El Guapo Vandal

Member # 9

Member Rated:

posted May 15, 2002 20:16      Profile for El Guapo Vandal   Email El Guapo Vandal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
well no, im saying, look at the back of the car (you know, where the VW logo is, and there are two badges... i.e GOLF on the left and 1.8T on the right, or, like on mine, GTI on the left and VR6 on the right...)

but yeah. its fast.

its not regarded as a "cool" car really though. americans hate (for some reason) hatchbacks. its fun though, cause nobody expects my car to be fast at all (or as goddamn posh it is on the inside), so its a total sleeper, and i like that. it also handles really, REALLY well.

but yah. my car isnt a golf. its not sold as that. there are golfs in america, which are crap, and then there are GTIs, same body style, just better engine options (either the VR6 or the 1.8T) and then also better options packages (like the GLX)

--------------------
i hate you.

El Guapo Vandal

Member # 9

Member Rated:

posted May 27, 2002 02:47      Profile for El Guapo Vandal   Email El Guapo Vandal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.vwvortex.com/news/index_golfr32.html

*drool*

i wish there would be some REALLY awesome production cars in the states like that one...

--------------------
i hate you.

PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted May 27, 2002 15:23      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That thing looks fucking SWEET!...I'd prefer a more aggressive headlight/tailight styling...something that looks sportier (for lack of a better word) and maybe some rally lamps (I love round rally lamps)...other than that the car looks great...

I'd love to see what a tuner could do with it...maybe a turbo...stiffer suspension (because even when the literature claims the car has a "sports tuned" suspension it's still no stiff enough by true performance car standards)...and perhaps some carbon fiber parts (hood, rear spoiler, etc.)...I'm sure we'll be seeing this model around (just perhaps not here in the states, bastards)...

--------------------

El Guapo Vandal

Member # 9

Member Rated:

posted May 27, 2002 19:39      Profile for El Guapo Vandal   Email El Guapo Vandal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i wouldnt be too worried about the handling on that car.

i have the am-spec GTI, and it came from the factory with front and rear stabaliser bars, individual gas pressureised shocks, which means they are adjustable... as well as a few other things which add to the handling, most of which would rack up about $5,000 as aftermarket parts, and usually arent found on most cars.

my car handles like its on rails, and thats taking into consideration the fact that the tires that came with it are absolute shit.

the r32 will likely be even better.

and as for the understated look, i like it. it makes the car seem less assuming. ive already pissed off several kids in SIs or integras who thought theyre car is shit cause they have a coffee can exhaust and a whale tail, and coulnt stand to be beaten by a stock *gasp* volkswagen. i.e, its a sleeper, which makes it more fun.

--------------------
i hate you.

PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted May 28, 2002 07:53      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, not to defend the "Fast and the Furious" wannabes, but your car is a V6...it'll definitely work over an I4 no sweat...I do know what you mean about understated, unassuming looks though...VW has always had that and it's always worked for them...even the Corrado was tame looking for what it was...you gotta admit though, the car would look good with some minute styling mods...nothing as radical as a whale tail or anything...but maybe a re-styled front fascia to accomodate a couple of rally lamps and a bit of flare on the fenders to accomodate wider stance tires...but, again, that's all personal preference...whatever the case, it's definitely one of the better production cars out there and would make an awesome base for any sort of performance mods...

--------------------

El Guapo Vandal

Member # 9

Member Rated:

posted May 28, 2002 12:45      Profile for El Guapo Vandal   Email El Guapo Vandal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
youre right about the mods, and, in fact, there are many aftermarket kits that you can buy which do things that you mentioned, such as accomdate for rally lamps.

--------------------
i hate you.

kiddy

Member # 10

Member Rated:

posted May 31, 2002 04:01      Profile for kiddy   Email kiddy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i dont what the big deal is with euro cars most cars are diesel ,theyre flatout at 160
the onlt semi decent cars are the big mercedes and bmws etc that the cigar smoking business men drive at 200+ on the snelweg

--------------------
one two screw you

Posts: 173 | From: the gutter | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted May 31, 2002 07:38      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Have you ever driven an Impreza 22B STi?...didn't think so...MB and BMW are "nice" but overrated...their focus is on luxury while maintaining performance, they're also a status symbol...fuck status...fuck luxury...if I want luxury I'll take a fucking bubble bath...I don't wanna pay uber-bucks jsut to say that I drive a Benz or Bimmer...I just wanna go fast...and there are a lot of Euro-Spec cars that will accomodate...

--------------------

the placebo

Member # 20

Member Rated:

posted May 31, 2002 07:56      Profile for the placebo   Email the placebo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
well, there are some fast M-B and a BMWs. my friend's dad has a Mercedes-Benz SL600 V12 (Kompressor I think...) that thing is fast as fuck. but you're right about the fact that their main concern is luxury over all out speed. one of my favorite cars right now is the newest model of the Lexus GS300. I absoluely adore that car. of course I'm just dreaming seeing as I drive a Nissan 240sx 5-speed...the goddamn 300zx my Dad was looking at when I turned 16 was sold the day before he went with the cash in his hand to buy it from the guy. the thing about those Volkswagens...like vandal said, they're so unassuming. even the Jetta is like that. my friend has a 2000 Jetta and he beats some pretty souped up looking cars in it. I haven't seen many of the GTIs around here though. I'm sure someone has one but it's probably massacred by a bunch of body kits and decals and racing wheels by a "thug."

--------------------
"now it is time for you to drink the melted silver teapot! enjoy a molten beverage that will coat your insides with a shiny smooth finish! then you will eat the table because i keep my promises!"

Posts: 205 | From: nashville, tn | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted May 31, 2002 09:05      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well yeah...a V12 is defintely gonna be fast, no matter what badge you put on the hood...I'd like to see VW turn their W12 concept car into a production exotic...that would rock!

Y'know,you could always turbo the 240...maybe turn it into a J-Spec Silvia...granted that takes $$ but it'd be a fun project...

Y'know, I can understand having to put decals on your car it you're sponsored and compete...it's a marketing thing...but so many people put the stickers on their car for "bragging rights"...what the fuck for?!?...stickers never made anyone's car any faster...neither does neon, neither does chrome trim...I'm from the school of performance enhacement...only add the parts if it'll make a noticeable difference in performance...like why add a carbon fiber hood before an exhast and intake?...the costs far outweigh the benefits in the sort term...

I see a lot of guys modding their cars for the sake of being "cool"...the whole point of modding the car is to make it faster dammit!...save the $$ you spend on that body kit for a fucking turbo!...get the most from your money from the start, then concentrate on the finer points...it's like hooking up Radio Shack speakers with Monster Cable and expecting them to sound like Infinty's...damn.

...sorry for the rant...as you can tell it's a sore subject with me...

--------------------

the placebo

Member # 20

Member Rated:

posted May 31, 2002 09:25      Profile for the placebo   Email the placebo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I feel your pain, PunkMunkey. I live in a fairly well-off suburb of Nashville, and most of the kids here who are in "car clubs" (with creative names like Simplified Perfections, Southern Wheelz, Exotic Fantasies, Optikal Illusionz, etc.) do it for the sake of being cool (and for those totally radical decals they put on the back windshield!!). it seems the first mod they do to their car is to add a neon light under the car, then add those neon things where the windshield wiper fluid spouts are. then its some kind of stupid looking rims, and like 5% tint, and a huge exhaust pipe. THEN, they might start doing things to the inside. I only know a few kids who hang out with the car club people who actually have things done to the inside, and most of them don't even know what it means. they just took daddy's money and went to CarTronics and said "make my car faster and louder." as for decals, I probably would never put decals on my car not because I want my car to be a "sleeper" where it surprises people, but because I think it looks stupid. granted, if I got discount or sponsorship for something I'm sure I'd recognize the companies by using decals (my friend had a guy from MTX give him a huge deal on two really nice subwoofers and an amplifier for his Pathfinder, so he put a small MTX logo on his back windshield), but other than that I think its pointless.

you know, I've always thought about maybe doing something to the 240sx just for fun, to see what I could do. nothing insanely expensive, but just some leisurely fun projects to see what I can turn the car into. the thing is though, I honestly don't know a whole lot about whats under the hood so to speak. PunkMunkey, you and Vandal seem to know a good deal about this kind of stuff...what exactly could I do? I probably won't ever do anything, but I might try if I get the money and time.

oh yeah, and about you saying how decals never made any car faster...
my dad works as a manager and engineer at a place that makes brake systems for cars, and he told me that about a month ago one of his colleagues was excited about how he got 2 white racing stripes on his blue Mustang. my dad asked him why he was so happy about that and the guy told him, seriously, "why do you think? I got those racing stripes, it probably ups my horsepower by about 50!" nice car knowledge coming from the automotive industry.

--------------------
"now it is time for you to drink the melted silver teapot! enjoy a molten beverage that will coat your insides with a shiny smooth finish! then you will eat the table because i keep my promises!"

Posts: 205 | From: nashville, tn | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
PunkMunkey

Member # 44

Member Rated:

posted May 31, 2002 10:39      Profile for PunkMunkey   Email PunkMunkey   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What to do, what to do..indeed...

There are a lot fo mods you can do to your car to make it perform better, but one of the most cost effective mods that will both increase horsepower and fuel economy is to fit the car with a new intake and exhaust(muffler)...this will allow the car to "breathe" better which is to say that you'll get better use out of your feul by getting a better air/fuel ratio...the muffler will also help expel the exhuast more efficiently and optimize back pressure (and it doesn't have to be a huge, loud coffee can job either)...typically you'll see about a 10-15% horsepower gain depending on the equipment you choose and it'll cost you around $500 installed...you'll also get better milage, maybe 2-4 extra miles to the gallon...

You should have to problem finding parts for your 240...those things are VERY popular with the import tuner market...

In terms of what brands to buy, well, that's a tough decision...there are just so many out there...my advice is to go to some local shops and ask around...go to shops/people you trust...maybe pick up an issue of Sport Compact Car and flip through it...some good brands for intakes are HKS, AEM, RS Akimoto, DC...it all depends on what you can afford and what will fit your car...

If you're looking to drop more $$ then look into a turbo kit...it'll run you from $1200 to $2000 or so, but the increase in HP will be stellar...maybe even up to 50%...

Somwhere along the line you're also gonna want new rims and tires and perhaps a siffter suspension...the wider and taller the rims, the better (within reason)...some 17"x8" rims would work nicely with your car...and as far as suspensions, some coil overs with a drop of 1.5" would probably suit nicely...try to get springs that aren't too stiff or the ride quality of you car could be adversely affected...

I've probably thrown too much at you as it is...if you're really interested in modding you ride, then pick up some magazines (Sport compact Car is one of my personal faves) and read up on it...then spend wisely...buy things that will improve performance not just looks...you don't wanna be an "all show, no go" guy do you?

--------------------

Daniel

Member # 54

Member Rated:

posted May 31, 2002 11:21      Profile for Daniel   Email Daniel   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the placebo:
and most of the kids here who are in "car clubs" (with creative names like Simplified Perfections, Southern Wheelz, Exotic Fantasies, Optikal Illusionz, etc.) do it for the sake of being cool (and for those totally radical decals they put on the back windshield!!). it seems the first mod they do to their car is to add a neon light under the car, then add those neon things where the windshield wiper fluid spouts are. then its some kind of stupid looking rims, and like 5% tint, and a huge exhaust pipe. THEN, they might start doing things to the inside.

There is this "club" in Evansville called "KAOTIC KUSTOMS." They all think that Nitrous Oxide is what makes a car good. The leader named Floyd has a 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT, which would be a bad ass car, but he decided to make it a "Kustom" car by painting an ugly blue stripe on it, putting a PS2 in it, adding an ugly ass ricer hood, and blowing the engine using nitrous at an autocross. He is now selling it on Ebay. He should be shot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1832834668

--------------------
"Hats off to the nun with the man hands."

i was/am WashinMyGoat.

Posts: 386 | From: Evansville, In, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
w3rd souljah

Member # 2

posted June 05, 2002 22:16      Profile for w3rd souljah   Author's Homepage   Email w3rd souljah   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You should have gotten the 337. Ohhhhhhh.

I got a Passat. I'm spoiled. 1.8T 5speed. Black. Eat me.

--------------------
I like taking showers.

El Guapo Vandal

Member # 9

Member Rated:

posted June 06, 2002 04:36      Profile for El Guapo Vandal   Email El Guapo Vandal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
the r337 which isnt out yet (not for a few more months, right?) and secondly is limited production, and also costs about 8k more than what i actaully paid for my gti (remember, i got it for a fucking steal of a price)

william, nice car. the black ones look slick.

--------------------
i hate you.

Erimica

Member # 8

Member Rated:

posted June 06, 2002 11:09      Profile for Erimica   Email Erimica   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i drive this, but dirtier.

see also: http://www.execar.com/images/ec_carimages/JT8BF28G9W0137191.jpg

[ June 06, 2002: Message edited by: Erimica ]

--------------------
~Erica

Posts: 305 | From: Tucson, Az | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Belong to Us!  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | nethijinx, ltd.

(c) 2000 + 19 nethijinx, ltd.