my profile / private messages | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Bored   » The Bored™   » Everything™ and then Some   » Curling

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Curling
El Guapo Vandal

Member # 9

Member Rated:

posted February 17, 2002 19:24      Profile for El Guapo Vandal   Email El Guapo Vandal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
why does the media always act like we're completley oblivious to this sport? every time the winter olympics comes around, its the same old jokes about curling, and the whole "what the hell is this shit?" attitude. i mean, really...

--------------------
i hate you.

Posts: 232 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
***norm

Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted February 17, 2002 20:11      Profile for ***norm   Email ***norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My guess...

Well, shuffleboard on ice with brooms isn't a craze that will be sweeping the nation. It has been around a long ass time, and the average joe american doesn't know enough about it to give a damn. So, the "what the hell is it" attitude is actually DEAD ON for the majority of the population. Not everybody gets CBC.

--------------------
•Taking money from religious people is like beating retards at checkers.
• Alcoholics Anonymous is to Jesus Freaks what still water is to mosquitos
•* I understand war for some reasons. Land, money, a girl, that can be understood. Now war over god, that's a whole different issue. There is no way I can justify a war over who has a better invisible friend.

Posts: 238 | From: Norm's Ghetto House | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wasting Too Much Time

Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted February 17, 2002 22:09      Profile for Wasting Too Much Time   Author's Homepage   Email Wasting Too Much Time   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hahaha. omg. curling is the big activity in my town! aside from friday night bingo!

no joke.

--------------------
you could say i do at least.

Posts: 284 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
breedge

Member # 128

Member Rated:

posted February 17, 2002 22:48      Profile for breedge   Email breedge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was JUST talking about this on aim. I still dont get it.

fuel this chaos: i dont get it
jemshla: what?
fuel this chaos: brooming. is it like chroming...but with broom cleaning fluid?
jemshla: someone doesnt watch tv
fuel this chaos: dude, calm down with the insults
jemshla: hah, sorry. its called curling. they have brooms, and they push rocks around.
fuel this chaos: with the brooms? or are the brooms just an accessory, like sequins, but cooler?
jemshla: WITh the broom. its kinda like lawn bowls...but on ice, with rocks and with brooms.
fuel this chaos: so they're old and go to the rsl after?
fuel this chaos: i'm still confused. is it like a RACE, or what? are they on skates?
jemshla: i think they have special shoes. ice shoes. you have to try and put your rocks in their hole.
fuel this chaos: well that's sensual. hole?
jemshla: circle, then.
fuel this chaos: I think they really ought to consider the possibility that there are more effective rock moving devices than brooms.
fuel this chaos: and this is an olympic sport?
jemshla: yes.

I've never even heard of this crap before.

--------------------
oh please, if i wanted to hear mindless droning i'd befriend an airconditioner.

El Guapo Vandal

Member # 9

Member Rated:

posted February 17, 2002 23:04      Profile for El Guapo Vandal   Email El Guapo Vandal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
but my whole fucking point is, EVERY time the winter olympics come around, its the SAME attitude and i always see these like, special segments during broadcasts laying it ALL OUT about what curling is and shit... i dunno, does everyone just CHOOSE to be this thick or what?

--------------------
i hate you.

breedge

Member # 128

Member Rated:

posted February 18, 2002 00:00      Profile for breedge   Email breedge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
well if a "sport" is only broadcast every 4 years, a hell of a lot of people are not going to know what the fuck is going on when suddenly this demented form of cleaning takes up valuable tv time...i dont think that not being down with the top 20 stupidest sports list is a factor in being thick.

[ February 18, 2002: Message edited by: breedge ]

--------------------
oh please, if i wanted to hear mindless droning i'd befriend an airconditioner.

Mike

Member # 14

Member Rated:

posted February 18, 2002 06:50      Profile for Mike   Email Mike   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
my dad has informed me that a bunch of my cousins are obsessed with curling.
Walter Sobchek

Member # 37

Member Rated:

posted February 18, 2002 08:31      Profile for Walter Sobchek   Author's Homepage   Email Walter Sobchek   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i'll say that i can get into some bar shuffleboard when beers are flowing, but it doesn't mean i want to watch it on tv. shuffleboa...er, curling is on olympic tv as much as any of the other sports. it's just not an event that spurs competitive fever through the olympics as much as ice hockey or figure skating. and that's not just us, that's pretty much the world. if this was otherwise, we'd know about it here in the media heavy USA. until anyone here goes to watch their grandparents play bocci, curling will have the same reputation here.

--------------------
dude...dude. You're being very un-dude. Nothing is fucked here. Nothing is fucked. They're all a bunch of FUCKIN AMATUERS!

Posts: 237 | From: SmAlbany, NY | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
***norm

Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted February 18, 2002 09:16      Profile for ***norm   Email ***norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Exactly. It doesn't seem like
1. a real sport,
or 2. very difficult
It's just sliding rocks on ice. Sure the broom guys could probably shave the wax off a kitchen floor, but is that really sporting?

And as an aside, let me tell you, my uncle can throw the fuckout of some horseshoes but I don't expect him to get a gold medal...

--------------------
•Taking money from religious people is like beating retards at checkers.
• Alcoholics Anonymous is to Jesus Freaks what still water is to mosquitos
•* I understand war for some reasons. Land, money, a girl, that can be understood. Now war over god, that's a whole different issue. There is no way I can justify a war over who has a better invisible friend.

Posts: 238 | From: Norm's Ghetto House | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
El Guapo Vandal

Member # 9

Member Rated:

posted February 18, 2002 11:38      Profile for El Guapo Vandal   Email El Guapo Vandal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i think everyones missing the point.

im not advocating curling as a sport. i think its more boring than baseball.

im just saying, there are lots of people about who act like theyve never seen it before. ive known what curling was since the 92 or 94 games or whatever. yet, amazingly, the mass population and media act like theyve NEVER seen it before.

and as for the media coverage of it, to be fair, i dont think they should exclude ANYTHING, no matter HOW awful it is. that would be almost as bad as only covering americans or sports where americans are competing in and nothing else.

but let me reiterate. i dont like curling, but i know about it. ive seen about 5 segments so far on various networks (local news, nbc, ect) explaining the rules of curling and answering the question "what is this sport?" as if nobody had the foggiest idea of what it was. i mean, youd have to be an absolute fucking moron to not know what it was, at least in my opinion. that or you have the attention span of a gnat (which i guess, would be understandable since this is america...)

--------------------
i hate you.

Walter Sobchek

Member # 37

Member Rated:

posted February 18, 2002 12:46      Profile for Walter Sobchek   Author's Homepage   Email Walter Sobchek   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To add:
They do the explanation thing for nearly every event. It's a world wide audience for the most part. I've seen hockey be outlined numerous times, even though it's on national TV here. Same with luge/bobsled. Some people might be fine with knowing thats its a guy/guys sliding down an ice track on or in a sled, yet they still describe the finer points. Not everybody knows everything. I'm sure the majority of people know of the individual events, but not what makes them competitive, so let them explain if people want to know. yeesh. now i gotta go watch russia beat up on finland in hockey.

--------------------
dude...dude. You're being very un-dude. Nothing is fucked here. Nothing is fucked. They're all a bunch of FUCKIN AMATUERS!

El Guapo Vandal

Member # 9

Member Rated:

posted February 18, 2002 14:03      Profile for El Guapo Vandal   Email El Guapo Vandal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Walter Sobchek:
now i gotta go watch russia beat up on finland in hockey.

suomi 3:1 russki start of the 3rd

--------------------
i hate you.

Walter Sobchek

Member # 37

Member Rated:

posted February 18, 2002 18:48      Profile for Walter Sobchek   Author's Homepage   Email Walter Sobchek   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
fockin christ. un-believable. this really is a great tournament. I thought russia was gold going in. i'm excited.

--------------------

WeakerthanNat

Member # 12

Member Rated:

posted February 20, 2002 06:01      Profile for WeakerthanNat   Email WeakerthanNat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i have never heard of this curling business you speak of. it's all news to me.
Posts: 69 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ZoE1084

Member # 21

Member Rated:

posted February 22, 2002 21:32      Profile for ZoE1084   Author's Homepage   Email ZoE1084   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
isn't this only the 2nd olympics that curling has been in..? so that's the reason they are explaining it because its still a fairly new sport to most people.
Posts: 104 | From: DC area. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jenny

Member # 31

Member Rated:

posted February 23, 2002 17:11      Profile for Jenny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
my mum got very excited about the curling, but then i suppose we did win. apparently there's only one curling rink in England...now there's a useless fact for you.

--------------------
Moi aussi un jour je serai beau comme un dieu

Posts: 198 | From: Nr Manchester/Leeds UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
emma discovery

Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted February 23, 2002 21:53      Profile for emma discovery   Email emma discovery   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have to write an article on curling for the school paper, but I have no idea what it is... yet. I missed it on the olympic broadcast, unless there's more coming up. But I doin't think there is.

--------------------
As for me, if I had fifty-three minutes to
spend as I liked, I should walk at my leisure toward a spring of fresh water

Posts: 45 | From: santa monica | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ewan

Member # 111

Member Rated:

posted February 24, 2002 16:32      Profile for Ewan   Author's Homepage   Email Ewan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Old woman slides rock along ice. Other old women sweep in front of rock with brooms. Curling explained.

Is this really the only snow/ice related event Britons are any good at?

--------------------
Having fun or dying young?
It's hard to tell.

Posts: 316 | From: Bristol, England | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jenny

Member # 31

Member Rated:

posted February 25, 2002 12:55      Profile for Jenny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
no! we won a bronze in the men's slalom, that's the first medal on snow EVER for us i think!

--------------------
Moi aussi un jour je serai beau comme un dieu

Posts: 198 | From: Nr Manchester/Leeds UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ewan

Member # 111

Member Rated:

posted February 26, 2002 14:55      Profile for Ewan   Author's Homepage   Email Ewan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We bad ass mutha fuckas, no? No.

--------------------
Having fun or dying young?
It's hard to tell.

Posts: 316 | From: Bristol, England | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
LayingTiredOnSunbeamsSide

Member # 134

Member Rated:

posted February 28, 2002 13:59      Profile for LayingTiredOnSunbeamsSide   Email LayingTiredOnSunbeamsSide   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just had a final in which the extra credit question was how much does the curling .... thing way.

anyone know? im too lazy to look it up

--------------------
so tired of messing everything up
so tired of leaving friends behind
so tired of landing on the sidewalk
-the lemon brigade

Posts: 65 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mike

Member # 14

Member Rated:

posted February 28, 2002 17:16      Profile for Mike   Email Mike   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i'm probably wrong but i heard 40 pounds.
the placebo

Member # 20

Member Rated:

posted February 28, 2002 20:49      Profile for the placebo   Email the placebo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i'm pretty sure it's 42 lbs.

--------------------
"now it is time for you to drink the melted silver teapot! enjoy a molten beverage that will coat your insides with a shiny smooth finish! then you will eat the table because i keep my promises!"

Posts: 205 | From: nashville, tn | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Belong to Us!  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | nethijinx, ltd.

(c) 2000 + 19 nethijinx, ltd.