my profile / private messages | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Bored   » The Bored™   » Everything™ and then Some   » George Harrison

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: George Harrison
karin

Member # 46

Member Rated:

posted November 30, 2001 02:36      Profile for karin   Author's Homepage   Email karin   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
passed away.

I don't have anything lengthy or eloquent to write. Too caught in the horror, myself, I am simply weak and utterly depressed...

--------------------
"We may rally around the flag, but never bind our eyes, ears and mouths with it..."

karin

Member # 46

Member Rated:

posted November 30, 2001 02:43      Profile for karin   Author's Homepage   Email karin   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
John Knowles passed away too....

--------------------
"We may rally around the flag, but never bind our eyes, ears and mouths with it..."

blah

Member # 92

Member Rated:

posted November 30, 2001 11:47      Profile for blah   Author's Homepage   Email blah   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It sucks so much that Geroge is gone he was the man

--------------------
Hi my name is Kevin

Posts: 14 | From: Near Richmond, Va | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clobber

Member # 38

Member Rated:

posted November 30, 2001 12:58      Profile for Clobber     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yeah i heard about that...that really stinks..i love the beatles..

--------------------
Sink it

Posts: 316 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
the placebo

Member # 20

Member Rated:

posted November 30, 2001 13:28      Profile for the placebo   Email the placebo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
brain cancer will do that to you. very sad indeed.

--------------------
"now it is time for you to drink the melted silver teapot! enjoy a molten beverage that will coat your insides with a shiny smooth finish! then you will eat the table because i keep my promises!"

Posts: 205 | From: nashville, tn | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
stacy

Member # 29

Member Rated:

posted November 30, 2001 13:50      Profile for stacy   Email stacy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Beatles have been one of my favorite bands since I really got into music in junior high. I was about to walk out the door this morning to go take an algebra test at school when my mom's boyfriend yelled the news at me. It was pretty upsetting, especially considering the way it was delivered.

I'm really just too shocked to write a long, thought-out response to this. It really hasn't set in. George was such an awesome man...way too sad.

--------------------
*it's moments like this that repeat and replay in my head
when i'm laying in bed*

Posts: 30 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ZoE1084

Member # 21

Member Rated:

posted November 30, 2001 14:36      Profile for ZoE1084   Author's Homepage   Email ZoE1084   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
a lot of my favorite beatles songs were the ones that george wrote, espicially here comes the sun. im just really sad right now, but im just trying to think about all his accomplishments.. which makes me feel somewhat better. he will deeply missed by all.
Posts: 104 | From: DC area. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
stacy

Member # 29

Member Rated:

posted November 30, 2001 16:28      Profile for stacy   Email stacy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You know, another thought just occured to me...I work in a mainstream music store and I can only imagine all the people that will now be coming in for Beatles/George CDs. It happened with Aaliyah a couple months ago and my manager said the same thing happened with John Lennon after his death. The way people all jump on a bandwagon is incredibly lame...

--------------------
*it's moments like this that repeat and replay in my head
when i'm laying in bed*

Posts: 30 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Just Kenny

Member # 5

Member Rated:

posted November 30, 2001 20:21      Profile for Just Kenny   Email Just Kenny   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i read about that this morning, i was bummed, big time.

--------------------
Truly,
Kenny

Posts: 119 | From: Freetopia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
NSA

Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted December 02, 2001 02:02      Profile for NSA   Author's Homepage   Email NSA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sometimes I wonder if I am the only one who does not, in fact, even remotely like the Beatles. I never have, and I doubt I ever will. Sure some of their songs are OK, but they are nothing to get all weepy and giddy about. (at least not in my opinion). But it always seems like everyone speaks of them as the best thing since internet pr0n (yes yes, they came first, but will they last l0nger?). Anyway.

Yeah it sucks that he died, it sucks when anyone dies, famous people just get better tributes.

--------------------
the Bored lives FOREVER.

Posts: 1564 | From: Galactic Empire | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Just Kenny

Member # 5

Member Rated:

posted December 02, 2001 11:51      Profile for Just Kenny   Email Just Kenny   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NSA:
Yeah it sucks that he died, it sucks when anyone dies, famous people just get better tributes.

that is because people like John Lennon and George Harrison have given us more than ol' Hippy Joe Smith from mississippi who spent most of his life on the river. You know? Of course, in the case of Aaliyah, again it was sad that she died, but i dont see why people STILL talk about that, she didnt change the world or anything, she was just supposedly a 'nice person,' but there are a LOT of nice people that dont get that kind of recognition.

The Beatles DID however change rock and roll, introduced a lot of new ideas, used creative recording methods (like using a bass amp as a microphone to record the bass drum) that caused several breakthroughs and set many standards for the music we are hearing today. Their style of playing, one thing being the use of a lot of 7th chords, in addition to writing great songs that people can relate to (always a plus), in addition to being great musicians, and influencing most artists (slight decline to the newer and newer generations), and their introduction of the music video (if im not mistaken, their's was the first, eh?), and just EVERYTHING and a whole lot more.

i like them.

--------------------
Truly,
Kenny

Walter Sobchek

Member # 37

Member Rated:

posted December 02, 2001 16:47      Profile for Walter Sobchek   Author's Homepage   Email Walter Sobchek   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I too, have never liked the Beatles. I guess I can respect them for bringing us rock-n-roll, but I'll argue it too. I just always thought they were drab and boring pretty boy music, and basically so popular because it was one of the first of its kind. blah

I'm going to side with good ol' Beavis and Butthead on this one:
"Man, the Beatles ruined music."

But it sucks that he died. It sucks that anyone dies. Carry on.

--------------------
dude...dude. You're being very un-dude. Nothing is fucked here. Nothing is fucked. They're all a bunch of FUCKIN AMATUERS!

Posts: 237 | From: SmAlbany, NY | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ewan

Member # 111

Member Rated:

posted December 02, 2001 16:49      Profile for Ewan   Author's Homepage   Email Ewan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought Queen had the first proper video. The rest though, the Beatles are guilty as charged and surely the most important and perhaps influential artists of the last century.

e.

--------------------
Having fun or dying young?
It's hard to tell.

Posts: 316 | From: Bristol, England | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
sickb0y

Member # 42

posted December 02, 2001 20:29      Profile for sickb0y        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
w0rd to the fact that george harrison dying is sad. there's no doubting that. but i don't think soo much mourning is called for. not really at least.
Erimica

Member # 8

Member Rated:

posted December 02, 2001 20:42      Profile for Erimica   Email Erimica   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
my friend said "two down, two to go"

i stopped flipping through cds and kinda stared at her for a while and shook my head.

even if you dont like the beates because they're overrated, being happy someones dead is uncool.

--------------------
~Erica

Posts: 305 | From: Tucson, Az | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sickb0y

Member # 42

posted December 02, 2001 21:21      Profile for sickb0y        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yeah... what she said sucks. she must huff mad dongs. if she doesn't... well... w0rd.

i'm so cliche today.

***norm

Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted December 03, 2001 07:55      Profile for ***norm   Email ***norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ok, first off, I am not a Beatles fan.
Next, I am not even remotely sad that George harrison is dead. It has absolutely no effect on me or my life. None.
I never identified with him or anything he did.
As a side note, the first thing that popped into my head upon hearing the news of his passing was The Meatmen's classic "One Down Three To Go" and the thought of covering it with the chorus changed to "Two Down Two To Go." Is it callous and inconsiderate? Sure. Is it wrong? Nope. Not at all. It is no more wrong than laughing at the Darwin Awards. The man lived a good life, had wealth and happiness. If it weren't for his failing health, he would have had it all. None of it ever had any effect on me, nor will it upon his passing.

John Knowles passing holds much more significance to me. A Separate Peace is one of my favorite novels.

--------------------
•Taking money from religious people is like beating retards at checkers.
• Alcoholics Anonymous is to Jesus Freaks what still water is to mosquitos
•* I understand war for some reasons. Land, money, a girl, that can be understood. Now war over god, that's a whole different issue. There is no way I can justify a war over who has a better invisible friend.

Posts: 238 | From: Norm's Ghetto House | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
karin

Member # 46

Member Rated:

posted December 03, 2001 10:59      Profile for karin   Author's Homepage   Email karin   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
wow. Thank you, Norm. Finally someone has acknowledged John Knowles. Both are equally significant to me, regardless of what other people say.

--------------------

Mike

Member # 14

Member Rated:

posted December 03, 2001 13:22      Profile for Mike   Email Mike   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
if i paid more attention to who wrote the books i read i'd have said something. a separate peace is one of the few books that i've read in school that i've liked...
StarWarsManiac

Member # 96

Member Rated:

posted December 03, 2001 15:30      Profile for StarWarsManiac   Author's Homepage   Email StarWarsManiac   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey, look on the bright side -- at least he was old. He was able to live a long life. I agree with Paul, the stars just get the better tributes. After all, who cares about a dead hobo?

Greg

--------------------
"They're about a universe in which human beings, aliens, and machines experience things common to all of us: love, vengeance, fear, and wonder." -Brian Daley (on Star Wars)

Posts: 74 | From: CT | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
hollyhox

Member # 35

Member Rated:

posted December 03, 2001 17:21      Profile for hollyhox   Author's Homepage   Email hollyhox   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
well it really saddens me that he's gone, i mean of course i didn't know him in person so it's not a personal "loss" per se, but more of something that you wish didn't have to happen because of the impact it might have had on you. or for me at least.
and you don't have to like someone or their band to respect them.
i don't think the beatles are overrated, who cares about press anyway.

--------------------
>>*i didnt know i made friends with fucking rock critics.*<

Posts: 30 | From: appleton, wi | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erimica

Member # 8

Member Rated:

posted December 03, 2001 19:58      Profile for Erimica   Email Erimica   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
by saying "two down, two to go" it sounds like you're waiting for the other two to die like it's a good thing.
waiting for anyone to die is just...ugh.
i dont like that.

--------------------
~Erica

Posts: 305 | From: Tucson, Az | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
karin

Member # 46

Member Rated:

posted December 04, 2001 02:02      Profile for karin   Author's Homepage   Email karin   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by StarWarsManiac:
Hey, look on the bright side -- at least he was old. He was able to live a long life

58 is old? If my grandparents died at 58, I wouldn't have known them....which would have saved me a shitload of anguish when they really died.

--------------------

hollyhox

Member # 35

Member Rated:

posted December 04, 2001 18:02      Profile for hollyhox   Author's Homepage   Email hollyhox   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
well, "old" most likely compared to john lennon who was 40 when he died.. 58 years is a long time to live.

--------------------

ZoE1084

Member # 21

Member Rated:

posted December 04, 2001 18:13      Profile for ZoE1084   Author's Homepage   Email ZoE1084   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
well, in my opinion, i think 58 is a very young age to die at. these days, the average lifespan is around 75-80, so a good part of his life was taken away.

i still dont get how people can think the beatles were just a "poppy" sounding band. helllo..they had so many different sounds and changed all throughout their career. but what do i know..

Posts: 104 | From: DC area. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Just Kenny

Member # 5

Member Rated:

posted December 04, 2001 21:47      Profile for Just Kenny   Email Just Kenny   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ZoE1084:
well, in my opinion, i think 58 is a very young age to die at. these days, the average lifespan is around 75-80, so a good part of his life was taken away.

i still dont get how people can think the beatles were just a "poppy" sounding band. helllo..they had so many different sounds and changed all throughout their career. but what do i know..

I agree with both your statements.
their sound both directly and indirectly have an effect on most of our modern rock. their own sound ranged so much that it covered so many types of rock and roll.

and my parents are almost at that age. i dont want them to die like that, so young.

--------------------
Truly,
Kenny

That Kid Jay

Member # 50

Member Rated:

posted December 05, 2001 09:21      Profile for That Kid Jay   Email That Kid Jay   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dying is only a sad thing for the people that are still around.
Posts: 164 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
hollyhox

Member # 35

Member Rated:

posted December 05, 2001 13:52      Profile for hollyhox   Author's Homepage   Email hollyhox   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just Kenny:

their sound both directly and indirectly have an effect on most of our modern rock. their own sound ranged so much that it covered so many types of rock and roll.

well back then, music wasn't nearly as divided (i don't think, i wasn't there of course, unfortunately) as it is now, so people weren't really worried about what was "poppy" or what have you. music was pretty much music as far as genre goes unless it was more extreme...
i think more than anything it was an influence on rock in general, no matter how poppy it was.

--------------------

All times are Belong to Us!  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | nethijinx, ltd.

(c) 2000 + 19 nethijinx, ltd.